Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-07-05 - Toad\'s Place; New Haven, CT  (Read 12526 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-07-05 - Toad\'s Place; New Haven, CT
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »
I: Honey Butter, Psygn, Space City Affair > Metropolis*, Inner Glimpse, Escher\'s Etchings (Parts 3 & 4) > Guitar Solo > La Villa Strangiato**, Puppetry > Drum Solo > Drum & Bass jam > Space City Affair > Reel Time, Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me^

E: Episode 3 (Awakening)

* with \'Ghettomusick\' (Outkast) tease.
** Rush cover; first time played.
 ^ with \'The Chase\' teases.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
good performance considering the miserable crowd (if you can even call it that).
Postcount +1.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:05:11 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;195130
good performance considering the miserable crowd (if you can even call it that).

what do u mean by miserable crowd exactly?
on a sidenote,a saturday after one of the biggest party weekends of the year was perhaps a bad decision,as per usual.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
i wasn\'t there to see the crowd, but this setlist on paper looks AWESOME. One long ass set with an eppy 3 encore? fockin roight dood.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

thatguy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:31:39 pm »
307 paid all night,peak of show about 225 people.typical holiday turnout for new haven.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
People can\'t travel as far as they once could.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;195130

:lol: i guess miserable is a suitable word choice for the scene last night. i thought it was just my own personal, exhausted, pizza-stuffed perception making the evening seem bleak but i suppose it was just the vibe....

nonetheless, the guys played a sweet show. i was hoping for 2 sets, but considering the crowd size it was probably a good choice to just keep the show going, and try to preserve the crowd that was there (we\'re all familiar with the toads place setbreak curse).

metropolis, reel time, and gladys pimp stole the show in my opinion. i\'ve honestly never really been crazy about Eppy 3 but last night\'s encore was pretty sweet. maybe i\'ll give it another chance ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:54:23 pm by princesscaspian »
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
Looks like a very ser set ( Rush cover= the Heat I\'m sure ) and over 300 paid?
That is a great fucking night for this band and if you think not you expect way too much.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Ren

• what?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 03:03:19 pm »
some things are better left unsaid...

great show.  The guys were def on fire last night, every jam was really strong from the begining of show to the end.  psygn was great to hear after not hearing it for a while.  metropolis is an instant classic, that song is one of those that\'s just gonna keep getting better and better.   inner glimpse is always good for getting "miserable" crowds moving and it did.  I don\'t really like escher\'s 3 all that much but pt. 4, whenever it starts, is, as ron burgundy would say, "the balls," if you were there and you didn\'t move your ass for that one then there would have to be something seriously wrong with you.  I don\'t know if it\'s just by having chris play it, or if they changed it slightly or whatever, though i don\'t remember it all that well, but i don\'t remember it being that good, definitely one of the major highlights of the night.

the guitar solo reminded me of the one on the old tribute to randy rhodes tape i used to have.  i don\'t really know la villa strangiato all that well, but if paul\'s reaction was any indication then i would have to say that they nailed it, and i hope he brought an extra pair of pants.

puppetry was spectacular, it definitely stretched the boundaries as far as they could be stretched, just crazy.  if there\'s any one, ahem...cori, who may have any doubts about chris\'s abilities then all the would have needed to see was pretty much anything they played last night or of course the bass and drum solo should lay that shit to rest.  that was something the old lineup never had, at least that i can remeber.  

It was good to see how happy, myself included, everyone was to hear reel time, it\'s not even a song that they really jam all that much, and they don\'t really have to.  

there\'s nothing that can really be said about gladys that could do it any justice, it was just incredible with what sounded like some pretty blatant teases of the chase that made me think that it was coming back, the jam went so many places and by the time it came back to the end it was an all out frenzy that never even let up once tim started singing again.  just perfect.

i could swear at some point earlier in the night, though i don\'t remember when, i thought i heard a few notes of ep 3, but i probably didn\'t.  i was really surprised and excited to finally hear it again, i must say, it\'s one of the best songs they play and a perfect way to end the show...

i\'m looking forward to relaxing to some acoustic sets in a few hours...

see ya!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:48:09 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

rcoster38

• blue
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 03:09:50 pm »
weird night all around, but a solid show

LOTS of regulars missing from action, but there were a lot of younger new kids there

support for the band is missing from the people youd expect to be there and instead its coming from a new crop

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
amazing set list nooo doubt. i personally had a great time and felt good vibes around me, although yeah, it\'s always tougher when the place isn\'t more packed. but whatever. music was still toppp notch and it just leaves me thirsty for more!

onion pie. mmmm.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 03:22:46 pm »
cmon ren...spill it

Ren

• what?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:43 pm »
i thought i just did.

oooh, about the lack of crowd support?  we all know about it, we all see it, yet it always has to get pointed out. we know people don\'t come out like they should or used to in general, i don\'t expect it, and i don\'t think anyone else does.  justin had a great point, though i hate "festies," they need to play them, as many as they can, because that way people are forced to see this truly incredible band.  it\'s a shame.  maybe they need to, as much as it would hurt us, re-locate to a place where people aren\'t miserable fucks, like the midwest or cali or something, anything\'s better than wasting away here on the shitty mostly miserable, eternally pessimistic east coast, they deserve better, they are better. better than most.

sorry.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:59:07 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:07:41 pm »
Nothing to be sorry about. Tough love is well, tough.

Solid show, Chase teases had me going crazy, really thought it was coming; fooled again.

Was really sad to see the warm up band play their "last song" about 4 times, which delayed this show and cut it to one set.   Also sad to see more people present for the warm-ups than the headline. I think the holiday def had a lot to do with the poor showing.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 04:08:46 pm »
the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I do think they play CT way to much though. Guess they gotta make their dough though.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:13:45 pm by Klout »