Author Topic: "The Breakfast is better than 99.9% of the live bands on "the scene" right now. "  (Read 1667 times)

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
Ser thread on the bort. apparently a few UM fans were pretty impressed with what went down at the Kinetic show. :thumbsup:
http://www.umphreaks.com/bort/index.php?topic=94633.0
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
<<< not a member of the b0rt.. cut/paste some quotes if you don\'t mind...
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
yeah same here...please show some of the highlight quotes in this thread
DS Newbers

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
They are the best band around right now and should be way bigger then they are.

they\'re good, but they have been for a while and have not really gotten any bigger over time. my guess would be bad managment, but i definitely respect tim and the drummer for sticking it out all these years.

last nights show was fun. the first set was a little shaky and didn\'t really sound like any of the typical breakfast stuff i\'d heard. i guess there some were new songs from the new band members. the second set, though, was good. both the new bass and keys played really well, especially in the "bisco" jam in bequebus, and tim tore it up as usual.

they also covered reba which i thought was lame. they played it well, but a band who has been touring for as long as they have shouldn\'t have to cover phish to get the audience interested. covering songs like that sets them back ever further, imo.

I have been saying this for years. Tim is, by far, one of the more genius guitar players on the scene right now.

first set was pretty good but the second killed

yeah covering "reba" is kinda trite this day in age, but by the end of the open section it didnt really matter. the vocal part was ok, the composed section was impressive, the open section was just flat out executed.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
thanks d00d.:thumbsup:
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

pfcidb

theres a lot of breakfast fans on the bort

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
good stuff, and i agree with most of those guys\' comments
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
the reba in rhode island was absolutely perfect in the composed section.  i lieterally could not find a single error in it at all (except for tim playng the end to the 1st chase at the end of the 2nd chase, no big deal though).  The best jam ive heard is the toads place one 12/28/07

and playing reba isnt "trite" at this day in age...WHAT OTHER BAND CAN EVEN PLAY THAT SONG IN ITS ENTIRETY?  thats right, no one except TB.  so fuck those people saying that...i love reba and how the breakfast plays it
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:58:23 am by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
Quote from: Vassillios;185629
good stuff, and i agree with most of those guys\' comments

:that:

Quote from: pfcidb;185622
theres a lot of breakfast fans on the bort

very cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Quote from: ds673488;185635
the reba in rhode island was absolutely perfect in the composed section.  i lieterally could not find a single error in it at all (except for tim playng the end to the 1st chase at the end of the 2nd chase, no big deal though).  The best jam ive heard is the toads place one 12/28/07

and playing reba isnt "trite" at this day in age...WHAT OTHER BAND CAN EVEN PLAY THAT SONG IN ITS ENTIRETY?  thats right, no one except TB.  so fuck those people saying that...i love reba and how the breakfast plays it

I\'m waiting to hear your opinion after you hear the KP version.... absolutely no guarantees that it\'s better, but far from a long shot to take the crow. The jam was HUGE.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

aanderson

in pretty new but concider myself a big fan. my first show was at higher ground for the freekout and i went because i heard they were gunna do a phish cover and they do lawn boy? wow it was amazing. now me and all my friends agree that there the best band touring

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
Re: The Breakfast is better than 99.9% of the live bands on "the scene" right now.
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:28:01 PM »
I could not disagree more. I just saw The Breakfast at Trocadero\'s in downtown Minneapolis with Sol Spectre opening. I have to say that at the end of the night, the entire car (6 of us) agreed that Sol Spectre had shown up the nationally touring band. For those unfamiliar with Sol Spectre, please check them out on the archive - they are unreal.

As for The Breakfast, I have to say I was left a little unimpressed. The members of the band are definitely great players, but the jams just did nothing for me, and quite honestly they began to sound the same by about the beginning of the second set. It was strange because at set break we were all talking about how great the night\'s music was - Sol Spectre was amazing, and the first set of the Breakfast was just straight fire. But by a few songs into the second set, it became clear that the only real jams that the Breakfast had were the fast paced, high-intensity jams. There was never a song that didn\'t follow the basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-tension and release jam-verse-chorus formula. I thought they were a lot of fun to see, but given the hype surrounding them, I guess I was simply expecting more diversity in their songs. Perhaps this was an off night, and I would definitely go see them again if I knew that a similar show was in store. However, I would not say they\'re better than 99.9% of live bands in the jam scene right now. Not even close, to be frank.

^The only comment I disagree with from the bort... :mad:

but it looks like other people disagreed too, judging from the resplies -
Yeah, I hate high-intensity jams....and fast paced......BORING!

:rolleyes:

lol some people can\'t handle it I guess.

Anyone who says The Breakfast only has faced paced high intensity jams really doesn\'t know the band that well. They have the ability to, and often do, slow the pace down, get spacey, funky, etc. But whatever, to each his own.

& his (or her) response:
I\'m sorry but if you\'re only looking for high-intensity jams I feel like you shouldn\'t be posting on an Umphrey\'s board. Umphrey\'s has the ability to bring high-intensity jams, and the ability to bring very melodic, beautiful jams that don\'t  sound repetitive. The Breakfast were very good, and I\'ll grant that they\'re all tremendous musicians. Like I said, by mid-2nd set it was clear that the only thing they were going to play is fast tension and release jams. Maybe it was an off night, but even the funkier and more laid back songs ended up going into the same tension/release jams.

I\'m open-minded, and if anybody could direct me to a show where they have a little more variety, I\'m more than happy to listen to them. I\'ve heard quite a few shows and as much as I love high-intensity jams, I\'m looking for something more from the top .1% off jambands.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

galenas

• Global Moderator
great to see the buzz finally spreading. obviously getting out there and touring is a huge help in attracting new fans. kudos to the band.

and everyone still has to realize -- this is a new band. in an interview, tim repeatedly said, this is all new. we\'re still getting to know each other musically... so just wait until they\'ve all been playing together for a while where they\'ll have that sort of unconscious level of understanding and communication on stage. i already think their playing has been mindblowing as of late, and i cannot wait to see this band blow up! eat your breakfast cross the nation, baby!