Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-03-21 - Donegal Saloon; Kearny, NJ  (Read 3761 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Setlist: 2008-03-21 - Donegal Saloon; Kearny, NJ
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:54:09 am »
I: jam > Rust, Inner Glimpse, Space City Affair > jam > Escher\'s Etchings (Part 1) > Tribal Funk Affliction > Escher\'s Etchings (Part 2) > Tribal Funk Affliction, What The Funk*

II: jam > Gravity, Living Daylights, Synergy, Rufus**, jam > Taboo Or Not Taboot

E: Cult Of Personality

* with \'Without Me\' (Eminem) and \'Groove Is in the Heart\' (Dee-Lite) teases.
** with bass solo.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:01:47 am »
Dave -
I could have sworn that Rufus closed out the second set and Jam>Taboo was the first encore and COP was a second encore?  I could be mistaken.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
soo...how was the show?  anyone?
DS Newbers

good4garry

• Play the Red One!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:43:52 pm »
my head is still spinning..............

the first set was completely sick, start to finish, with no let up. incredibly tight. mahavishnu orchestra tight. chris and matt play the material as if they wrote it..............

great place (donegal saloon), my first time there. nice folks and friendly, efficient bar service

colin, you\'re 1 for 2. you were right about how sick the show was gonna be. but you were wrong about \'nova. they\'re gonna beat siena too, so bet the house

my condolences to steve and family.............i find comfort in these lyrics, maybe you will too

"It\'s just a box of rain
I don\'t know who put it there
Believe it if you need it
or leave it if you dare
But it\'s just a box of rain
or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long long time to be gone
and a short time to be there"

thanks to all for a great night, wish i was "toading" tonight!

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:12:20 pm »
apologies to those who offered to post the setlist but didn\'t hear from me. i love having AIM on my phone and having it say "Operation failed: Connecting" every damn time it tries to connect. :mad:

ry - i\'m pretty sure tim had said thanks/good night at the end of rufus, but realized that they had more time than he thought they had, and then started jam/taboo pretty quickly, without any break or leaving any instruments.

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:12:56 pm »
May I be the first to sing... "Blinded by the light..."  The lights were killing me last night.  There were a few times during the 2nd set where all of us on the left side turned around and faced the soundboard because the light was right in our faces.  :P

We got there near the end of Escher\'s Part 2 (or GBFBITS as I reffered to it for some reason), so it was a quick first set for us.  What the Funk was very good.  Nice to hear it with the harmony in the chorus once again.

Gravity put a smile on my face, although I felt the slow-mellow part of the jam in the middle of the song was perhaps a bit too slow and mellow, kinda like they were losing steam, but they quickly picked up the pace and all was good again.  Living Daylights just doesn\'t do much for me, and from what I saw, it doesn\'t do much for others as well.  Looked like a bunch of people used that song for a bathroom/beer/smoke break.  Synergy > COP had everyone dancing up a storm.

I saw, what I\'m assuming were regulars, bopping around up front at the bar.  That\'s always a good sign.  My biggest memory will be that tall guy dancing his ass off right up front.

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »
lol at "living daylights" piss/smoke break:disco:
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

Ren

• what?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
wild show.  nice little jam into rust.  not bad.  inner glimpse got it going though, very tight.  then the shit hit the fan...

nice little open loose spacecity into a fine well built jam into escher\'s, falwless, the crowd started getting into it more and more, then dave goes, "wait for it, wait for it," then tribal, man it keeps getting better, such a flashback of 2000-02 when it was obvious that ryan was literally twitching and dying inside to do his "tribal dance," ryan, how could you not have seen them since \'02!?!?! and so it began, what used to be one of those, "here we go again" kinda things, actually made me really happy to see.  when i asked him if he\'d do his moves, he said no, i was like, "bullshit," in my head.  the second part of escher\'s that came out of the more funky than usual jam in tribal, was perfect, tight, hard hitting, and all over the place, it kinda made ya forget a little that tribal wasn\'t done, so i was almost surprised when it came back.  9.9 out of 10.  ok, 10.  wtf was a nice end to the set, haven\'t seen it in a while and it packed a fuckin\' punch.  great set!

gravity was great as usual.  i\'m sorry, but living daylights needs to be shelved.  i can apreciate it\'s enthusiasm, but it just seems a little off to me.  the way they play it, i can tell they like, it but, uh...nevermind.  

synergy is one of the great ones, i didn\'t like the weird latiny sounding shit the first few times i heard it, but it fits somehow, the song had like 7 or 8 nasty peaks for christ sake.  really, really well played.  really.  

i might get shit, but i could use a break from rufus, though it peaked a ridiculous amount of times, i remember thinking, "ok, let\'s move on," but then when chris\'s incredible solo hit, my attention was back, goddamn it was powerful, it seemed to turn into a whole different song of its own, sounding somewhat merge-like at times.  

i did think that was the end of it all, and just assumed that they were just gonna start the encore, since there was really no stage for them to walk off of.  but i guess since they never put down their instruments it must still be the second set.  dave told me i had to jump with him for taboot.  i remember thinking something like, "oh jesus christ c\'mon..."  however i couldn\'t say no to his enthusiasm.  so we did, i think we were the only one\'s doing it, but who cares.  jen said the girl with the "so it goes..." tattoo (ron farewell video) was doing it too, so i guess there were THREE assholes jumping around.  hahaha.  nah, those two aren\'t assholes...

i couldn\'t think of a better encore for the type and age of the crowd than cult of personality, so i go up to dave and say, "uh, cult of personality?!?!"  his reaction and the look on his face was frighteningly excited looking, i figured if anyone would ask them and be rewarded it would be him, but it was already planned.  good shit.  so let\'s see, 150 plus shows, uh, trying to guess and being wrong EVERY time, i\'m like 1 for 150.  yeah.

the reaction of the room was crazy.  the just tear it completely to pieces.  left us all wanting more....

hope it carries over to tonight...

see ya guys!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:34:16 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:29:43 pm »
Quote from: fizzlefest;184099
May I be the first to sing... "Blinded by the light..."  The lights were killing me last night.  There were a few times during the 2nd set where all of us on the left side turned around and faced the soundboard because the light was right in our faces.  :P

:shrug: fwiw, I think ellis did a fantastic job with the lights, considering there were only 4 to work with.  I agree about being blinded a few times, but that was just a part of the experience. ;)

I had lots of fun last night - the venue had incredible sound, so I can\'t wait to hear the recording. :awwyeah: The crowd\'s energy at first was kind of weak - I distinctly remember a huge gap between the crowd & the band.  But, about halfway through the first set, it started filling in... and by the encore, there was no room to even move! Btw, it was nice meeting you Yoda!  I hope to see you at more shows in the future. :)
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Ren

• what?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »
Btw, it was nice meeting you Yoda! I hope to see you at more shows in the future.

...and you called me a noob robin?!!?

silly girl.  see ya tonight! ;)
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;184103
Quote from: fizzlefest;184099

:shrug: fwiw, I think ellis did a fantastic job with the lights, considering there were only 4 to work with.  I agree about being blinded a few times, but that was just a part of the experience. ;)

Oh, I\'m not saying it was a bad light show.  Quite good actually.  Just saying it was in my face is all.  :)  Yeah, yeah, I know, I could have moved.  lol

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:54:13 pm »
The TFA dance happened; Dave has the pics to prove it
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:05:18 pm »
Quote from: Ren;184102
jen said the girl with the "so it goes..." tattoo (ron farewell video)

wow, that\'s hardcore. who\'s the one with this tatoo?

peaches626

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:02 pm »
dont be fooled, there\'s a good chance it\'s not actually a "breakfast" tat
taints rule, gypsies drool!

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:47 pm »
Bonus footage:

http://www.youtube.com/v/2K0C2KtV-Pk&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/2K0C2KtV-Pk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoKTCPLVowQ&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/AoKTCPLVowQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">