Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-03-02 - Daniel Street; Milford, CT  (Read 6132 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-03-02 - Daniel Street; Milford, CT
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:24 pm »
I: jam > Doughboy, Beef Barley*, Reel Time, The World Needs Us, Rust > Beef Barley reprise    

II: Vocal jam > Rush**, Well You Needn\'t^ > Straight, No Chaser^@, Hard Luck Harry > See The Light^^ > Hard Luck Harry# > See The Light, jam > Time Of The Season## > Synergy%

E: keyboard solo%%, Where\'s Sly$, The Sound$$

Acoustic show.

* with bass solo.
** with \'I\'ll Be Around\' (The Spinners) tease.
^ Thelonious Monk cover; first time played.
 @ with \'I Ain\'t Goin\' Out Like That\' (Cypress Hill) teases.
^^ inverted; with \'Rhapsody In Blue\' (George Gershwin) and \'Sunshine Of Your Love\' (Cream) teases.
 # with \'Cannonball\' (The Breeders) jam and vocal jam.
## with \'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm\' (Crash Test Dummies) tease.
 % with several mid-song band switch-ups: Tim on bass, Chris on drums, Matt on guitar, Adrian on keys; with \'Liit\' tease; Tim to drums, Chris to vocals for \'Everything In Its Right Place\' (Radiohead) jam; Matt to bass (muted), Chris to guitar, Adrian to drums with Tim; Tim to keys; Adrian to bass, Matt to drums; with \'Lovin\' Chicks\' tease; back to normal line-up to close.
%% with \'Against All Odds\' (Phil Collins), \'Glory Of Love\' (Peter Cetera), and \'Just Once\' (James Ingram) teases.
 $ Medeski, Martin, and Wood cover; first time played.
$$ with \'Where\'s Sly\' (Medeski, Martin, and Wood) tease.

peaches626

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »

hot diggity!!!
taints rule, gypsies drool!

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:31 pm »
wow...that setlist looks like complete stage shenanigans.  

How did it go with the food drive???

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:52 pm »
ummmmmmmmmmm..... YAAAY-YAH!

Busting out Thelonius and MMW, recently Coltrane and Miles. Un-fucking-real. No band other than TB can pull this off. Jazz classics, legendary Phish compositions, 100 new tunes along with all of their older (often epic) goodies, plus a couple of guys just pissing these recordings over night.

Allow me to say, I was so wrong about Ron\'s departure. This is incredible what they are doing right now.

I\'m really having a hard time getting any school work done. Thanks.

:banputer:       :banboogy:

^^My current setlist for life.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

peaches626

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:52:37 pm »
ya, post show, in chatting with adrian about the show, the new tunes, etc.  he mentioned that this collection of guys can play anything, mentioning that they could come out and play a whole show of chick korea(sp?) covers
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:37 am »
Corea.

It\'s the truth and that\'s just ridiculous. This has to be tremendously exciting for all of them.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:12:03 am »
Not 100% sure, but pretty positive there was a "Son Of Mr. Green genes" tease by Timmy when he was on keys...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:50:11 pm by siflandollie »

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:14:31 am »
And HLH!!! Ohhh sweet Harry!

Ren

• what?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 12:38:57 am »
this shit was about as good as it gets.  i don\'t even know where to begin....

nice mellow opening jam that quickly became doughboy themed which made the segue flawless, and lead to a very strong, well played version.  beef barley provided chris with the chance to blow us away with another great solo.  i\'m still getting to know reel time, and when they started playing the world needs us i groaned, only cuz i think i\'ve seen every time but maybe 2 or 3 times it been played, i can\'t escape it.  though once it gets going the jams do get pretty wild, so i guess i really don\'t mind it.  rust was pretty good and i really liked it going back into beef barley.  overall very good set.

now for the second.....

wow.  i really don\'t know what to say that would do it any real justice.   i mean i saw it written out and was like, whoa, but i really had no idea or way to possibly guess that it was gonna be that good.  i mean really.  rush is just one of those songs, when i first heard it i wanted to hear it again asap.  anyone who doesn\'t love it doesn\'t really know what the breakfast is supposed to be all about in my opinion, instantly one of their top songs.  well you needn\'t was truly great, by far the best jazz cover i\'ve heard them play.  

then it was time for the madness to begin...

i really wanted to hear chris play a hlh, and when i saw the setlist from the other night i was like, "aaaawwww come on of course they play it when i stay home!"  so when it started i was quite pleased to say the least.  i loved how it started off kinda quitely stopped off for a short cannonball tease, and built and built into see the light.  i just don\'t under stand how every time they play stl, it has a totally different feel and way about it, the teases were a nice touch as well.  yet another stellar version that featured some of the tightest, loosest, all around spectacular jamming this line up has played, which really left them with no choice but to take our breath away when they ripped back into hlh, and then right back into the end that was pretty close to acappella.  i definitely got chills.  i had a good laugh when the crash test dummies were teased, that song always makes me think of dumb and dumber.  time of the season was no joke.  i know some people don\'t agree with that choice for a cover but they really played the shit out of it, i have no problem with hearing that every now and then, especially during matt\'s solo.

synergy....

possibly the some of the best, craziest, most out of control, versitile, breakfast playing i\'ve ever seen.  seriously.  

the um, harnessing of the energy by matt and then the short conducting, leading to many multiple switch ups had just about everyone\'s heads spinning, a ton of huge grins, and lots of heads shaking in disbelief at times.  i like when matt was like, "look what you guys did....we didn\'t wanna do this, look what you did."  the dude is a fuckin\' nut, and i love it.  switching back and finishing up was a great breakfast moment, i just hope the energy can come across that well in the recording, though i don\'t see why it wouldn\'t.

silly intro to where\'s sly, kinda disappointed they didn\'t play against all odds though, one the greatest songs ever written if ya ask me, ;).  where\'s sly was reeeeaaallly good, never thought i\'d see them play an mmw cover to tell you the truth.  not all that thrilled to hear the sound follow it, but that\'s ok, maybe nothing should have.  whatever.

overall, a truly unforgetable night of great music.  chris really impressed the hell out of me, and i don\'t think i\'ve seen matt play drums, it\'s a shame someone turned the bass off for matt.  good time!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:41:15 am by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:18:29 am »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;182118
wow...that setlist looks like complete stage shenanigans.  

How did it go with the food drive???

Very good! - we got some food (& money) to donate to WHEAT tonight!  Special thanks to penny (christine) & duane for their generous contributions! :banana::spin: Since this was kind of last minute, I\'m hoping for more of a turnout next time - if, of course, the Breakfast does this again in the future. WHEAT will be very happy, and we\'ll continue to help out this great cause! :banboogy:

Quote from: WHVoice.com
“Spring and summer are the leanest times of the year at WHEAT,” Executive Director, Rose Majestic, wrote. “Food donations drop of, and once school is out we see even more families because school breakfast and lunch programs are no longer available to their children, which means they need additional food for the kids.”

While the three-month winter period proved to be a challenge, she’s afraid the warmer months are not going to be any better.

“The spring and summer don’t promise much relief from high gas prices, prescriptions and even food,” she wrote.

The problems mean the agency needs donations and fast.

According to Majestic, a $15 donation can purchase 125 pounds of food from the Connecticut Food Bank, while $25 can help a family from having its gas shut off. A donation of $35 provides a needy family a week’s worth of groceries.

“As we enter into our 31st year of service to the West Haven community, it is still your generosity that keeps our doors open."
Those wishing to arrange a donation can call WHEAT at 931-9877.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 01:21:06 am »
holy shit. awesome review, ren. i will just add to this a few things. the end of stl was indeed pretty much a capella. i know that the breakfast acapella may be a frightening concept to some of you, but itwas eerily powerful and, for lack of a better word, fucking ser. the musicianship was through the roof tonite. the entire second set was absolutley ridiculous
caress me, aunt jemima

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:47:05 am »

Am I the only one that hears the main riff of Samson and Delilah in Synergy?
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 08:53:51 am »
i had a good time. i got my cousin to come out to his first show and he was impressed. it\'s always fun turning people on to the band.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:52 pm »
The business following the See the Light verses was the best jam I\'ve heard from this lineup so far.

And although I termed Friday\'s show as \'extraordinarily wacky\', the wackiness of this performance makes Friday seem like Paul Anka in a hotel lobby.

Big-time risk taking. Big-time rewards.

Oh yeah, Where\'s Sly is about as good a cover choice as any in the band\'s history.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:44:32 pm by ChrisPitch »

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
damn it, i really should have sucked it up and made the drive down there alone for this one.