Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-02-17 - Daniel Street; Milford, CT  (Read 6506 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-02-17 - Daniel Street; Milford, CT
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:35:27 am »
I: jam > The Message, Fairy, Escher\'s Etchings (Parts 1 & 2), Question Mark And The Mind, May Fly Disarray, Dig

II: Sylvia, Rush*, Sweet Georgia Brown**, Good Things, jam > Tribal Funk Affliction^

E: The World Needs Us^^, Drum Solo#, Gravity##

Acoustic show.

* first time played.
** Ben Bernie and His Orchestra cover; first time played.
 ^ with \'Axel F\' (Beverly Hills Cop theme) tease.
^^ with \'My Favorite Things\' (John Coltrane) tease and \'Hotel California\' (The Eagles) jam.
 # with \'Say Goodbye\' (Dave Matthews Band) tease.
## with \'Son Of Simpleton\' and \'Don\'t Stop Til You Get Enough\' (Michael Jackson) teases.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:37:27 am »
Fuckin\' Tribal

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:40:41 am »
rush = animal?

details?

peaches626

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:18 am »
yes. jazzier and more "epic" feel than the other three new songs.  biggest applause of the night
taints rule, gypsies drool!

ChiefBennyhaha

• dancing guy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:44:41 am »
Great show. Really liked the lounge atmosphere. Getting intimate and moving everyone close second set was choice. Second set was  solid. Love the new song Rush, farking killer, all animal. Sweet Georgia Brown was tight. They gave us a nice version of good things and then destroyed with a nuts tribal. The drum solo >gravity finished the night in strong fashion. Word.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:45:29 am »
i think Rush may have gotten the most applause i\'ve ever heard for a debut. and for me, personally, it wasn\'t like, "i need to hear it a few more times" - i liked it instantly. pretty sure that\'s what most of the room felt like.

caitlin, you throw a hell of an afterparty. ;)

but in all seriousness, chris, thanks for having us. :thumbsup:

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:48:32 am »
Quote from: ChiefBennyhaha;180251
Great show. Really liked the lounge atmosphere. Getting intimate and moving everyone close second set was choice. Second set was  solid. Love the new song Rush, farking killer, all animal. Sweet Georgia Brown was tight. They gave us a nice version of good things and then destroyed with a nuts tribal. The drum solo >gravity finished the night in strong fashion. Word.

yes, that reminds me - thanks to ulee for helping me take all the chairs in the room without asses in them at setbreak, and moving them towards the front. certainly made the second set look/feel much better.

nothing wrong with sitting at an acoustic show, but when all the seats are in the back, and there\'s just empty floor in the front, it\'s kinda sad. next week i\'ll be sure to have it ready that way for the first set, if daniel street doesn\'t.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:53:11 am »
Ooooooh doggy! Can\'t wait to wrap my ears around Rush.. sounds like something BIG!
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

peaches626

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:00:39 am »
oh and the vocals are so improved over a few months ago its silly.   awesome vocal jam in gravity
taints rule, gypsies drool!

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:17 am »
Sweet Georgia Brown must have been fun for Matt.
Masturbation in the MFA

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:18:06 am »
Quote from: peaches626;180261
oh and the vocals are so improved over a few months ago its silly.   awesome vocal jam in gravity

Gravity was a highlight for me.  Not just the song itself, but more-so the vocal jam.  It really changed things up for a bit plus brought back some wonderful Phish memories.  :)  The new song Rush was really sweet.  Can\'t wait to hear it again.  They should book more acoustic shows, it\'s a nice change-up.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:04 am »
Rush comments after the show:

Chris:  "Yea, it changed a lot from when adrian first brought it to us. It was a lot simpler and we decided to make it a lot heavier." (sic)

Adrian on my comment of his syncopation during the verse: "yea, the whole thing is subdivisions. I\'m subdiving the hell out of it. I\'ve got septuplets (7 beats in place of 4 or 7:4), novtuplets (9:4) and quintuplets (5:4) going on the snare and high hat and I\'m accenting different beats in those rhythms."
"Is it a set pattern, like a bar of 5 then 7, then 9 then repeat?"
"No, I want to keep it loose and jammy. If I structure it like that then I\'m stuck doing the same thing every time. It has a pattern right now, but I can change it at any time for now it goes  bat-cka-cha-ba-BAT/ba-cha-cha-budda-cha..."

I don\'t remember the rhytmn he sang/drummed on the table to write it out but listen to the drums on this song. awesome song, will be a fan favorite in no time.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 08:41:28 am »
Quote from: jocelyn;180262
Sweet Georgia Brown must have been fun for Matt.

Ellis Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. played this at halftime of the NBA All-Star Game last night, and all I could think about was what Matt could do with that tune.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:19 am »
Rush was so epic that I dreamt last night that I went back to the venue just so I could hear it again. When I got to the venue sure enough they busted it out.  So nice to hear this song twice within 12 hours.

Seriously, last night topped the previous week. Didn\'t think it was possible, but it was. Besides "Rush" being a new heavyweight on the circuit (if you don\'t have tears forming in your eyes while listening to the jam section, check your pulse), Escher\'s had a tearjerking minor/minor jam. I told Dave, "Best eschers".  Why? Just the fluidness of the chord progression alone is well worth the title. It didn\'t seem like they were improvising in circles, but rather collectively building upon structure, something the old lineup seldomly did.  

The latin fused Tribal Funk Affliction was another highlight, and the Gravity psychedelic vocal fest was the proper cherry on top to a ballsy evening of bar raising.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20:46 am »
Quote from: Overexjoesure;180291
the Gravity psychedelic vocal fest was the proper cherry on top to a ballsy evening of bar raising.

i almost forgot about that! loved it.

great, great show. rush was epic indeed. all around great playing by a group of amazingly talented musicians. they just keep getting better and better --- we are all very lucky people to be part of it.