Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-01-11 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT  (Read 17416 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-01-11 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:59:48 am »
I: jam > Tribal Funk Affliction, Inner Glimpse, Cut My Hair* > Doughboy, The Grand Scheme Of Things

II: Psygn, Beef Barley, World Needs Us**, Rufus^ > Spunk

E1: What So Never The Dance^ > Sex Machine > Taboo Or Not Taboot

E2: Tricky Ways

* The Who cover; first time played.
** first time played.
 ^ with bass/drum duel.
^^ Bootsy Collins cover; first time played

Thanks to Todd for a setlist, and TeddyT for the corrections.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:01:20 am »

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:07:20 am »
Hot. They busted out some good tunes for Chris\' first show. How did World needs us sound?
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Tweety_Gal

• Psycho purple canary!
    • http://www.myspace.com/tweety42
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:20 am »
Looks really good, give me some more details.......Whineberg
If the thunder don\'t get you then the lightning will!

TeddyT

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:29:52 am »
I: jam > Tribal Funk Affliction, Inner Glimpse, Cut My Hair*, Doughboy, The Grand Scheme Of Things

II: Psygn, Beef Barley, World Needs Us**, Rufus#> Spunk

E: What So Never the Dance^ > Sex Machine^^, Taboo Or Not Taboot

E2: Tricky Ways

* The Who cover; first time played.
** first time played.
# w/Bass and Drum duel
^ Bootsy Collins cover; first time played
^^ James Brown cover

I could be wrong, but this is the way I remember the show. There was a bass solo somewhere in the show, but can\'t remember where exactly. Really missed Ron\'s high vocals during "Psygn", but other than that the show was a good one.  Highlights for me where "Tribal Funk Affliction" and "Rufus# > Spunk" (kickass bass and drum duel sandwich).  Need to have another listen to "World Needs Us" to get a feel for it. Sounded like soft 80\'s rock at the beginning with Matt singing, but then progressed to be a bit heavier with some heavy Timmy rifts and continued into a serious jam, and then went back to the soft 80\'s rock melody.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:35:31 am by TeddyT »

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:42:21 am »
wow.  Tribal Funk already?  so wanted to go lastnight.  wasnt in the cards.  wish i did.

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:48:43 am »
wow.

i have to be candid with you folks, i was really nervous going into last night. i mean, change is awkward and scary; and furthermore, as of late it\'s been the only constant thing from The Breakfast. I suppose i still hadn\'t really coped with the thought of the Breakfast minus Ron Spears... and I was still markedly dazed by the loss upon entering the show last night.

but damn, i could NOT be HAPPIER with the performance!! the guys sounded tight and fresh and SO fluid; they were a cohesive entity propelling themselves from start to finish. Chris is a talented bassist who clearly loves to play, and his positive energy and overall relaxed and fun stage presence really contribute a fantastic element to the band, that just.... fits..... RIGHT.... in!!! and he certainly wasn\'t given an easy introduction either - the guys NAILED Tribal Funk Affliction & Grand Scheme (perhaps my favorite to date) the first set and Chris just pulled it off like he\'s been doing it for years! a totally impressive and amazing debut !

the crowd was equally as noteworthy: a completely packed show, full of happy folks dancing and singing and fist-pumpin away... good vibes floatin around in there all night.... and it was pleasure to meet you, sam [siflandollie] (<---this dudes in a ween shirt rockin out to the breakfast! fuckinaye!) ...and a VERY happy birthday to Mark! you certainly celebrated the first couple hours of your day the *right* way !!!

doughboy was a real treat the first set, and i love \'cut my hair\' but it seemed to confuse the crowd a little bit. psygn was a HUGE opener for the second set -- (i wish i wasnt stuck at the bar trying to get a glass of water from the girl-hating bartenders)... rufus was unarguably my highlight of the second set. have to admit- loved matt\'s song (World Needs Us) ! wish i could hear it again now! it was certainly an intricate structure with lots of distinct parts, which still achieved elements of beauty and raw crunchy rock at the same time... it has a very epic feel to it. it\'s really refreshing to hear some new, fresh voices speaking musically through the band.

i suppose electronically represented words will never truly capture the utter excitement radiating from this princess right now.... but i\'ll try... ;) last night was the start of something tremendously special for The Breakfast. as with all living and growing things, some elements must be shed along the way.... but it is a sacrifice made so that new things can blossom -- after all, where would we be without the ability to evolve? after seeing this band through many eras of highs and lows, again, we enter another - and i am so excited and ready to see the full potential of this new dynamic in the band. heres to an amazing 2008!!! :beer: ....and welcome home, Chris!! :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:02:31 am by princesscaspian »
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:09:27 am »
i could\'ve went, but i figured i\'d give them 1 show to get the kinks out.  see y\'all at daniel st.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 11:16:15 am »
no drum solo in scheme?

Tweety_Gal

• Psycho purple canary!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 11:30:27 am »
Dave, YOU weren\'t there?.....Whineberg.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
Quote from: davepeck;176238
no drum solo in scheme?

if I remember correctly, it was a drum/bass jam in scheme, and it was cut my hair>doughboy

the jam in psygn was insane, and it was prob. my fav. scheme to date.

Mark, I missed ya afterwards....the bouncer was being an ass and even made us leave the parking lot.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

solver

• the moon rulz
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 11:47:37 am »
i loved the jam at the end of rufus [...?] when tim and matt were just gabbin\' to each other through their instruments. we\'ll see if the recording does it justice, but my guess is that it won\'t capture the madness of the musical conversation without the visual aid of their facial expressions to go along with it. it was like two beakers and no bunson squawking hilariously fast.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:51:34 am by solver »
skibbiddybopadoobaddydooPOW!POW! [bang!]

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:52 am »
had a really great time last night. fun crowd with plenty of new faces. i know some people aren\'t incredibly fond of the place, but i always love the jam packed shows at sully’s.

i gotta say that i’ve been worried about the new bassist, but certainly felt a wave of relief seeing him play.. not having ron with the band is absolutely going to take some getting used to, but fortunately chris seems to be pretty capable and it showed last night.

tribal and scheme were obvious highlights of the first set. opening with tribal is always a good sign and it is hands down one of my favorite breakfast songs. it was definitely a treat to hear scheme since the last one i heard was at the daniel st show in september. rufus>spunk was hot! i really need to hear world needs us again..not so sure how i feel about the song, but i’m glad to see a matt song being played. loved the funky bootsy collins cover..totally wouldn’t expect that from the breakfast 3.0 or 3.5 or whatever the hell it was. sex machine was fucking awesome – matt’s playing during that jam made my night! have the guys played that song before?? hope to see it again sometime..

Tweety_Gal

• Psycho purple canary!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 12:24:16 pm »
They def. played it at the Mercury Lounge, after James Brown passed away (end of \'06)....Whineberg.

sconnie4satan

• from the block...
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 12:31:03 pm »
great to hear that Chris was well received!  Looking forward to seeing the 3.0/3.5/whatever in a couple months.
Don\'t shoot the messenger it\'s not his fault...
It\'s just a drag when you\'re the last one to know.