Author Topic: Could someone recommend a good book?  (Read 3887 times)

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Could someone recommend a good book?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Huck Finn by Mark Twain
On The Road by Jack Kerouac

(just a few classics that are must reads if you haven\'t already)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:57:16 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 10:37:26 pm »
for everyone who replied with Wally Lamb.  Totally agree.  Try "She\'s Come Undone".

It depends what you are into really.  I just read "Afternoons with Emily"....a fictional account of Emily Dickinson\'s life.  I thought it was pretty good.

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 10:45:20 pm »
Wow thanks guys. I have read a lot of thoes alreay, but i can\'t wait to get started on the other ones.
keep \'em coming if you can.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:53:24 am »
100 Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Check IT Out.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 01:20:47 pm »
anything by Chuck Palahniuk-
Invisible Monsters
Diary
are two I think you might like.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 02:24:50 pm »
Novels:
The Secret History by Donna Tartt  
Eat Pray Love (forgot author\'s name, new-ish book)

not novels:
Wherever you go there you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn (about mindfulness and meditation)
Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell  (Christianity)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 03:37:18 pm »
another classic that anyone would enjoy:

tarzan of the apes - edgar rice burroughs
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 03:50:48 pm »
I don\'t have much time to read, but I\'ve been getting lots of audiobooks for my iPod - I just finished a biography on the Beatles called "Ticket to Ride"  :thumbsup::thumbsup:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 04:55:11 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;175439
sex, drugs and cocco puffs. Anything by Chuck klosterman. Or Kafka. They are a natural progression. Then Gravity\'s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. For some light reading afterwards, you can\'t go wrong with Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, Ulysses or Finnegans Wake

Ok, most people wont be able to handle anything on that list except the first one. Just stick with Klosterman

Well that was not a very nice or humble thing to say Paul.

Alli... If you aren\'t intimidated by a long read, try Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I am perpetually suggesting it to people and no one ever reads it because it is long and has several storylines going at once that don\'t connect until you are a couple hundred pages in. It seems confusing, but it all comes together incredibly. It is hilarious, bizarre, and brilliant.

From Wikipedia:

Infinite Jest (1996) is a novel written by David Foster Wallace. This lengthy and complex work takes place in a semi-parodic future version of North America. The novel touches on the topics of tennis; substance addiction and recovery programs; depression; child abuse; family relationships; advertising and popular entertainment; film theory; and Quebec separatism...

...The book\'s plot centers on a lost film cartridge, titled Infinite Jest by its creator James Incandenza, and referred to in the novel as "the Entertainment" or "the samizdat". The film is so "entertaining" to its unwitting viewers that they become lifeless, losing all interest in anything other than endless viewings of the film. In the novel\'s future world, North America is one unified state composed of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, known as the Organization of North American Nations (O.N.A.N.). Corporations purchase naming rights to each calendar year, eliminating traditional numerical designations; e.g., "The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment", "The Year of Dairy Products from the American Heartland". Much of what used to be the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada has become a massive hazardous waste dumping site known as "The Great Concavity"/"The Great Convexity".
Masturbation in the MFA

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:39 pm »
i forgot Paul Ryan has superhuman reading powers that can\'t be matched by us mere mortals.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:34 pm »
Bret Easton Ellis\' books in order....
Less Than Zero
Rules of Attraction
The Informers
American Psycho
Glamorama
Lunar Park

High Fidelty by Nick Hornby
Mainilines Blood Feasts, And Bad Taste  by Lester Bangs

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

Say Cheese and Die by RL Stine.... always a classic...
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;175523

Say Cheese and Die by RL Stine.... always a classic...

rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl
Masturbation in the MFA

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 10:37:27 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;175512

Alli... If you aren\'t intimidated by a long read, try Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I am perpetually suggesting it to people and no one ever reads it because it is long and has several storylines going at once that don\'t connect until you are a couple hundred pages in. It seems confusing, but it all comes together incredibly. It is hilarious, bizarre, and brilliant.

From Wikipedia:

Infinite Jest (1996) is a novel written by David Foster Wallace. This lengthy and complex work takes place in a semi-parodic future version of North America. The novel touches on the topics of tennis; substance addiction and recovery programs; depression; child abuse; family relationships; advertising and popular entertainment; film theory; and Quebec separatism...

...The book\'s plot centers on a lost film cartridge, titled Infinite Jest by its creator James Incandenza, and referred to in the novel as "the Entertainment" or "the samizdat". The film is so "entertaining" to its unwitting viewers that they become lifeless, losing all interest in anything other than endless viewings of the film. In the novel\'s future world, North America is one unified state composed of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, known as the Organization of North American Nations (O.N.A.N.). Corporations purchase naming rights to each calendar year, eliminating traditional numerical designations; e.g., "The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment", "The Year of Dairy Products from the American Heartland". Much of what used to be the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada has become a massive hazardous waste dumping site known as "The Great Concavity"/"The Great Convexity".

i started this book about...let\'s see.... six or so years ago -- and i\'m still working on it! lol. i do agree that it\'s quite original. thanks for putting it out there. makes me want to pick it up again.

anyone looking for a quick but very interesting and hilarious read should check out "Funny in Farsi: A memoir of growing up Iranian in America" by Firoozeh Dumas.

"Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" = most overrated book.

of course, the LORD OF THE RINGS series is unbeatable. tolkien is a genius.

another great read was "The Kite Runner" (now out in theaters...)

agree w/ the "love, eat, pray" recommendation.

great thread idea... i\'ll definitely have to check some of these out...

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:10:53 am »
Quote from: jocelyn;175512
Well that was not a very nice or humble thing to say Paul.

Come on Joc, I said most people on this board. ;)

Anyway, I only said that because it\'s true. Those are the list of the hardest books I\'ve tried to get through, Finnegans Wake, Godel Escher and Bach and Gravity\'s Rainbow also being on my list of "tried multiple times to read and I can\'t ever finish because they are so damn confusing". The only other book on that list is of course, malleus maleficarum. But what do you expect out of a middle ages papel bull on witch craft?

<-still looking for someone who can explain finnegans wake to me. :sigh:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
Clockwork Orange
Catch-22
Brave New World

Even though it is somewhat old in it\'s english:
Rights of Man by Thomas Paine is a good bed-rock for politcal discourse.

"The Game is Up" - translated, I don\'t speak french
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.