Author Topic: Could someone recommend a good book?  (Read 4299 times)

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
Could someone recommend a good book?
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:09:33 pm »
I\'m in need of some new reading material.
I hate starting a book and then putting it down because it sucks.
Thanks!
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »
I\'m reading Cormac McCarthy\'s "The Road" right now. Considering what it\'s about (post-apocolyptic road story w/ a father & son) I didn\'t think I\'d get through the first 50 pages before giving up.  But I\'m really enjoying it and it\'s a pretty quick read.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:09 pm »
The Worst Case Scenario Handbook - best book ever!
DS Newbers

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:19:52 pm »
The Talisman-King/Straub
The Adventurers-Harold Robbins (back when he was good)
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:27:54 pm »
Give Wally Lamb\'s stuff a try.  He\'s a great writer and he teaches up at UConn.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:46 pm »
I just started reading a book by Charles Fort... it\'s really out there... check him out

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:29 pm »
If you like History

An Army At Dawn - Rick Atkinson

The Day of Battle-The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 - Rick Atkinson

He is kind of the go to guy for WWII non-fiction. The Day of Battle is his latest it came out in Oct. I just gave it to my grandfather for x-mas.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »
I don\'t know what kind of stuff you are into, but there\'s an author who does mystery kind of books (not whodunit\'s, but she holds out telling you the complete story and then you\'re like, holy shit that is nuts). She\'s from New Hampshire and a lot of her stuff takes place in New Hampshire-Jodi Picoult.
Wally Lamb is fantastic too.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 03:26:50 pm »
try tom robbins for fiction...plus his books tend to be female-centric, which probably helps if you\'re a female

"jitterbug perfume" is my favorite of his...starts slow but is epic

ummm i don\'t know..."the kid stays in the picture" for a good autobiography...robert evans\' life is unbelievable
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:47 pm »
Mitch Albom - Five People You Meet In Heaven, For One More Day, Tuesdays With Morrie

Anything by Lorenzo Carcaterra
Anything by Mario Puzo (especially The Fortunate Pilgrim and Dark Arena)
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:37:13 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;175407
try tom robbins for fiction...plus his books tend to be female-centric, which probably helps if you\'re a female

"jitterbug perfume" is my favorite of his...starts slow but is epic

"Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" and "Still Life With Woodpecker" were amazing. life altering books for me, right up there with the best of Vonneguts stuff.  But I could never get into Jitterbug.  It\'s still on my shelf... never got past the first couple hundred.  Maybe I should give it another shot, it\'s been awhile.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:54 pm »
James Patterson

Kiss the Girls
Along Came A Spider
Black Friday

Most of his books are pretty good and he writes in a style that makes them move quickly.

The movies they made based on his books were not that good but the books are pretty crazy.

Kiss the Girls and Along Came A Spider are Alex Cross books. Alex Cross is a detective and is the main character of many of Patterson\'s Novels.

Black Friday is an earlier book of his. It is more of a spy / espionage / but it is really good. Takes a little longer than his other books to get going but definitely picks up and has some really good twists
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

tyzack

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:49:58 pm »
Wow, quite a task.

I\'ll just write down some of my favorites books/authors and the genre it falls into

These books are in no particular order.

Darkness At Noon - Auther Koestler*, historical fiction. It\'s about a fictionary relovultionary in russia during the stalinist purges of the 1930s. It\'s based roughly off the experince of the author and his friends and particularly trotsky.

Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vaunagut* - All of his stuff is good, but this good contains references to Naragansett Beer, and has one of the best lines in world in it.

The Stranger - Robert Calus* - Classic nihilism/existensialism book, plus the main character has traits in similar with the main character in Darkness at Noon

The Kool-Aid Acid Test* - Tom Wolfe - Great book about the Merry Pranksters and the start/peak of the "san fransico sceen"

The Leather Stalking Tales: (Deerslayer, Pathfinder, Praire, Last of the Mohicans, Pioneer) :: Tales of the first great westard expansion of america by james finmore cooper. Yes, sometimes the language is wordy and the characters very acrane, but read it for no other reasons than for the amazing description of western new york and the apliations.**

Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Ender\'s Children - Orason Scott Card. A great sci-fi series as long as you ingore the most recent books writen about the same time frame. Read these four first, then move on to the rest. I don\'t like any of the newer books because of how they degrade from the characters of the first 4.

*Spelling of title/author may not be exact
**This word should be: the appliachains, like the mountains, which I can\'t spell either.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;175409
Mitch Albom - Five People You Meet In Heaven, Tuesdays With Morrie
:thumbsup:
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 06:33:22 pm »
sex, drugs and cocco puffs. Anything by Chuck klosterman. Or Kafka. They are a natural progression. Then Gravity\'s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. For some light reading afterwards, you can\'t go wrong with Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, Ulysses or Finnegans Wake

Ok, most people wont be able to handle anything on that list except the first one. Just stick with Klosterman
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke