Author Topic: Setlist: 2007-12-31 - Electric Company; Utica, NY  (Read 15203 times)

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Setlist: 2007-12-31 - Electric Company; Utica, NY
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 11:03:41 pm »
Quote from: Ren;175157
i still can\'t think of anything to say.  Puppetry tossed back for Fresh Cut?  since they were bringin a few oldies back out, what ever happened to Score?  oh well...

I got a score in Chicago (late September).
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 07:16:38 am »
i think the wheel picked out a pretty good second set. eppy 3 alone made the wheel the best idea ever, i feel like it woould not have been played otherwise. tunage would have been sweet but sceme is, as peaches once said, "the ultimate show closing song by any band ever". the overexposure was out of control.
caress me, aunt jemima

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:51 am »
Quote from: Lexington;175163
sceme is, as peaches once said, "the ultimate show closing song by any band ever".

actually it\'s #2 after basis for a day
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008, 10:40:31 am »
Quote from: Rickey Roux;175156
Not sure if it was in the jam before or in the beginning of Gladys, I need to hear again, but I heard Starship Trooper (Yes), confirmed by TPalms.

sweet. now that\'s a band to emulate.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 12:11:58 pm »
the Lit was pretty nutty, but whoever the girl yelling \'Ron Spears\' into the mic was, pretty much ruined a lot of it
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »
Maybe I\'m not looking in the right places, but is there a recording of this up yet?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2008, 03:16:30 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;175204
Maybe I\'m not looking in the right places, but is there a recording of this up yet?

not yet
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 04:13:28 pm »
Musically, this show offered a plethora of highlights, so much so that I felt it was not only the best of the December run and the 10 or so Matt shows I\'ve seen, but also ranks among the best I\'ve ever witnessed.

Of course, this is no disrespect to Toad\'s, which featured a nailed Reba, an touching The Late and the Great, and then even more emotion, plus some top-notch jamming, with Jordan on stage.

But taking into account the Psygn, Rufus, and Gladys jams, the appearance of several originals I rarely see (Attraction, Gravity, Episode 3, Doughboy, Lit, and Fresh Cut, the latter three of which were the lone performances from this lineup [as was Funky Bill’s from two nights before] and the last of which I requested to be put on the wheel and felt its placement in the show was both sad and perfect, especially considering the lyrics), plus the performance of Band on the Run, then the heavyweight emotion of Scheme as the reality of it being one of Ron\'s last songs with the band really started to hit me (especially in the quiet section just before the conclusion), and then the “Thank You Ronnie!” chant that lasted for minutes and induced the encore, I have to say that I felt this night was a superior performance and experience.

From the standpoint of it strictly being an emotional experience, of course, I am saddened by Ron leaving and was misty-eyed at several points throughout the weekend (especially when I watched Paul’s outstanding montage when I got home on Tuesday, which also made me somewhat sad that Jordan’s departure wasn’t handled the same way and that he couldn’t get equal treatment). For me personally, The Breakfast as I’ve known it the past nine years will never come close to being the same, no matter how talented Ron’s replacement may be. Of course, I’d never doubt Tim and Adrian for one second and I’ll obviously still go to the shows and I’m sure they’ll continue to be great. But it’s not that I’m just going to miss Ron’s ability on stage; it’s those other things that go with it, such as a gang of us going out to dinner beforehand and breaking balls, or talking with Ron after the show, and well, breaking balls. I love the personalities of all members of The Breakfast, but Ron is such a unique person and there’s just something different about conversing with him and how it can go from being intellectual to sarcastic and then sometimes be both within such a short span that I simply cannot imagine life with The Breakfast without that. Yes, I know he’ll still come around and in some way I look forward to the bizarre experience of watching a show with him. But with Ron’s musical prowess and personality out of the band, I will not and simply cannot now mentally prepare myself for a Breakfast show in the same way that I did when Ron was in the band and that’s a very sad realization.

But on the other hand, it truly is a mixture of emotions because as sad as I am, I’m also extraordinarily happy. And that’s because I got to witness 137 musical performances with one of the best bands to ever take a stage with a wonderful person, friend, and musician laying it down on the bass. And this is something that the whole lot of us has experienced. We’ve experienced a sense of enjoyment and fun both during the shows and before and after them that many people will never get to in their lives. For this, all us members of The Breakfast family should feel beyond privileged and lucky.

I conveyed a similar sentiment to Tim after the show. He, as well as Adrian and Jordan, got to play more than a thousand shows in front of thousands of people with one of their best friends, which not a lot of musicians can say they’ve done. For that, I know the members of The Breakfast also feel fortunate, and likely, that it will never be the same without Ron officially among them.

And that’s the whole thing right there. Everyone is sad. And that’s beautiful. We’re sad because Ron has been a big reason why we’ve been so happy the last decade. And that’s why we should all feel so fortunate to have experienced it. And that’s why I can shed tears with a smile on face.

I want to thank Ron, Tim, Adrian, Jordan, Matt, and all of my beloved friends who are a part of The Breakfast family for making these past nine years such an entertaining and enriching experience. And this final run was a tremendous way to close this chapter of the band’s history. I wouldn’t say that I took The Breakfast for granted prior to Ron’s announcement, but I certainly appreciated the band and his presence in it more than ever these last six weeks.

As I told Ron after the show, if some or all of us are lucky enough to live into old age, we’ll probably look back at these years as the best of our lives. And if somehow we have better days coming, then we’re even more fortunate than I thought.

Love,

Pitchie

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 04:26:11 pm »
^^^^^^ well said
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 04:30:53 pm »
indeed!

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 04:33:27 pm »
yeah, right on
DS Newbers

BennyBoomers

• Biscuits Fluffer
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 04:47:15 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;175171
sceme is, as peaches once said, "the ultimate show closing song by any band ever".

Hahahahhaha....Yes Zuke!!!

Ren

• what?
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »
The end of an era.  Ron will be missed and thought of for years.  What can I say, he was great.  He added much, much more to the Breakfast than just bass and a high pitched voice.  What an understatement...

I went in to the show expecting to be a complete mess.  Instead I felt like I had to just sit back and watch them do their thing together for one last time.  I want to remember as much as I could, which would explain my being that guy who takes pictures throughout the show and gets in the way.   Sorry.  We walked in during the opening notes and didn\'t take long to hear the begining rumblings of Attraction which ripped, by the way, and before we could settle in they immediately started a nice happy version of Beef Barley.  It seemed though once it really started to get going it turned into Psygn, which was simply great.  Really.  I thought I was hearing things when I thought I heard a little Beef Barley in Rust, guess I actually wasn\'t hearing tease that weren\'t there this time.

Then as I hoped...Doughboy!  Thank Christ.  I don\'t think anyone wasn\'t taken by surprise by Matt singing it.  He did a GREAT job IMO, I really think it\'s a good fit for the way the music sounds and how his voice sounds.  It was REALLY good.   Not a big fan of Band on the Run as I may have said before a few times, but anything with Ron singing was ok with me, it just brought the energy up that much more for the HUGE Rufus.  Overall well played set.

God were my emotions all over the place.

I didn\'t know how to feel.  It really didn\'t feel like new year\'s at all to me.  I couldn\'t decide if I was happy or sad.  Both I guess.  Nine years is a long ass time to see a band...

I thought set two was a weird idea.  Worked out pretty well actually.  With the obvious, for me, only exception being Fresh Cut, but all things considered, I could deal with it.  Gravity killed, as it usually does, Escher\'s was BEAUTIFUL, got me a little to tell you the truth, it\'s always been one of my favorites.  But it was the power, fury, and just raw emotion of Ep 3 that was one of my highlights of the night.  Just thinking about it makes me wish we were all still there.

For the "final" time Ronnie takes the stage as a member of the Breakfat...man...that made me force the tears back...shit.  He actually looked a little nervous to me to be honest.  

The Chase though, fuckin tore it up, which is what I think we all needed.  Lit was fun with Ellis \'jammin\' next to Ron, it must\'ve been a fuckin\' blast for him.  Definitely never seen that before.  I don\'t know what the hell Matt was doing, actually I think he was lettin\' it all hang out, to say the least.  Gladys was a good one, one of those emotiional ones again with a couple of strange teases, what made them think of those songs, I really don\'t know.  The Hardcore Jollies that came from waaaay the fuck out in left field made me wish it would find it\'s way into Merge, but what can ya do.  Really a nice surprise.  By the time GSOT hit, I was all over the place, I couldn\'t look at anyone, cuz I would cry...I think even if you were seeing them for the first time it had to have moved you.  It looked like it did.  God.  For He\'s a Jolly Good Fellow was funny so it didn\'t make me cry like it probably should have.

Not really a better choice than Pea>OE, if you ask me.  As it was starting, this like 6\' 8" asshole guy behind me kept putting his hands over my head and covering the camera, when i was like, "SERIOUSLY??!!" he got an attitude with me.  So needless to say, the song was perfect for me to sing loudly, and yes, he could have kicked my ass...so fuckin\' what.  That was as lame as it gets but I don\'t care.

Well, Overexposure couldn\'t have been any better.  Such fuckin\' power and emotion, anyone who was along for the ride for a considerable amount of time like most of the b\'fam, didn\'t have a dry eye, infact the last little peak at the end of it will be in my mind forever....

Goddamn these guys are great.  I\'ve never really had music make me feel this way before.

Well.  I guess as is the case with life...we deal with it how we choose and ultimately move on.  I really hope to see all the same faces.  I know I will.

See ya!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:45:17 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 10:05:36 pm »
Quote from: BennyBoomers;175225
Quote from: zuke583;175171

Hahahahhaha....Yes Zuke!!!

make it #3 after Recreational Chemistry then.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 10:35:35 pm »
^^^^ keep dreaming igz.   was not easy missing this one, has been in my thoughts since i realized i couldnt make it.  miss you forever save, and cant wait to see what happens in the future
*Gia*