Author Topic: Setlist: 2007-11-16 - Stone Church; Newmarket, NH  (Read 12239 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2007-11-16 - Stone Church; Newmarket, NH
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:15:18 am »
I: jam > Beef Barley, jam > Sleeping Beauty, Fairy > Puppetry        

II: Language Of The Gods > Psygn > Space City Affair > Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me > Drum Solo* > Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me, Shakedown Street**      

E: Intension^ > Memory Of A Free Festival

* with \'Tunage\' tease.
** with \'Norwegian Wood\' (The Beatles) and \'Chattanooga Choo Choo\' (Glen Miller) teases.
 ^ with \'Heartbreaker\' (Led Zeppelin) tease.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:15:55 am »
pffftttttt...... zeit \'za whee!

double BB/ Sleepy B/ Fairy G > Puppet TREE

LOTG> P S Why? Gee N!> Gladee Pee> \'23\' > Pee Gladdy, double S!

E:  Ronnie Ess> Davey B!

peace 5000!

happy shomer shabbus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYJ7zZ9BRw
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:15:55 am by Igziabeher »

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:52:27 am »
so glad to seem memory of a free festival show back up. i LOVE their version!!!

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:16:18 am »
they owe us one Eff Pee Zee.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:20:37 am »
Quote from: jking;169274
so glad to seem memory of a free festival show back up. i LOVE their version!!!

well, this ain\'t it.. ;) more of an accidental jam that turned into MOAFF. not a full version by any means, but a fantastic way to cap off the night, nonetheless.

terrific show. SHORT first set (~52 minutes), and i felt like they were just getting going after quite a monster puppetry. beef barley was also quite huge, but i feel like the jam > SB stole the set. absolutely one of the best jam >\'s i\'ve ever heard out of them.

language was a great tone-setter for the second set. lots of dancing and smiling, and that\'s never a bad thing. psygn was great, and very well placed. i turned to wolf during SCA and said it was the best SCA ever - they were doing really great things..

and then came gladys. now, i\'m usually not all gaga over gladys like everyone else, but i LOVED this one. might be the best one i\'ve ever heard, or at least the one i enjoyed the most. the jam got really "different", and strayed away quite a bit from your typical gladys riffs. the segues into and out of the drum solo were PERFECT. it just sounded extremely natural. and i have to say, this was one of the cleanest drum solos i\'ve ever heard adrian play. just extremely tight, precise playing the entire time.

it\'s funny - two years ago i would have found something else to do during shakedown, but it was a really nice surprise last night. and there was no one in the place who minded that they were playing it either, because *everyone* was moving more than they moved the entire night while they were playing it. now that is good cover selection/placement. there were possibly more teases than i was able to account for as well.

intension was a nice rockin\' encore, but it just felt like there was something else coming, and that wouldn\'t be it. the MOAFF "jam" ended up being that something, and again, it was something that was perfectly placed. i just couldn\'t do anything but smile at that point.

a solid 9. i really can\'t find much else to complain about than the length, as the show just made it over 2 hours total. i definitely could have taken more the way they were playing last night. :)

oh, and once again, the grilled veggie wrap at the church proves to be one of the tastiest things on the planet. SO GOOD!

fantastic to see everyone last night, and thanks to mikey, princess, and doyle for sharing in what was probably the quickest 6 hours in a car that i\'ve ever been a part of. absolutely awesome time. :thumbsup:

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:30:01 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;169275
they owe us one Eff Pee Zee.

Yes, Frankly Po Zest would be nice ;)

Anywho, on to the Church.  Took a few minutes to lift off the runway as the crowd was still shuffling in during Beef Barley.  The show really got off the ground during the jam > before Sleeping Beauty.  Right in that moment I upgraded jam > x from a 6 seed to a 4 seed in next year\'s Tournament of Tunes.  Just listen to this.  It\'s unreal.  Ostreicher was slapping down pure chaotic madness at one point, like when he was playing the keys with a Vitamin Water bottle last week at Sully\'s.  But he really works it in perfectly at some crazed point where the band has dissolved the meaning of melodic patterns into a puddle of pleasurable audible ooze.  If the band you are watching can play chaotically in this fashion and justify it, then you know they are kicking ass.  The rest of the set after that was A-ok, felt short, maybe needed one more tune but nothing wrong with a Puppetry closer.

Language is a similar opener...it\'s a "Hey we\'re back on, get that beer and get out here" tune.  It\'s a perfect tune to open a second set with in some ways because people who are poised in the pit waiting for the band to get back on will get down to it, while those who are shuffling back to the fray from outside or at the bar can take off their coat, grab a beer, get in position, and enjoy the last few minutes of the song without feeling they missed anything spectacular.  It\'s a win-win.  Psygn was hot and really packed the front rows nicely.  After that it was pretty much gravy up to Shakedown, which was gravy with extra fat and seasoning.  Man, people really got down to this.  The Breakfast used to play U.S. Blues sometimes and that would always torch a room too.  You gotta give it up for the Grateful Dead; they\'ve been gone 12 years and yet their B material can still shred a room full of people who never saw them live.                    

I forgot all about Memory Of A Free Festival.  What a good tune.  Tim alleged that Matt started playing it accidentally (he doesn\'t know the tune) so Tim just jumped in with the vocals and off they went.  Pretty sweet little serendipitous Breakfast moment right there.  

Last, I just want to say that it is so awesome going to all these shows being able to count on several rows of heavy get-down every night.  Thanks everyone for getting into it!  This isn\'t new, it\'s been this good for a while now.  But I was talking with someone last night about times when you\'d have to go to 3 or 4 total doozies where nobody would get within 30 feet of the stage to go to 1 show like these.  Now it\'s hot every night.  It\'s so much better now.  Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:36:29 am by Wolfman »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:54:07 am »
forgot about the tunage tease in the drum solo, which peaches pointed out to me last night. and ronnie just made me aware of a heartbreaker tease in intension.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:19 pm »
Did Wolf just call Shakedown Street Grateful Dead "B" material?
rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 12:48:01 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;169277
and then came gladys. now, i\'m usually not all gaga over gladys like everyone else, but i LOVED this one. might be the best one i\'ve ever heard, or at least the one i enjoyed the most. the jam got really "different", and strayed away quite a bit from your typical gladys riffs. the segues into and out of the drum solo were PERFECT. it just sounded extremely natural. and i have to say, this was one of the cleanest drum solos i\'ve ever heard adrian play. just extremely tight, precise playing the entire time.
the jam in gladys was really something else. it was definitely the most mesmerizing part of the show for me. i wasn\'t sure if it just stood out to me because i was on another planet last night, but i would really like to hear it again.

so glad we got a shakedown! i texted steve on the way up asking if matt knew how to play any of the dead tunes that the band has covered and was told that he is not familiar with them. hearing that song made my night!!!

thank you very much taintface/taintlicker for the ride up..and for the dirt road adventure on the way back.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:51:41 pm »
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

goddamn
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:07:56 pm »
wow. what a great night.
I really love the stone church.
I had fun dancing with everyone.
Thank you paul for the beer.
Thank you to who ever dropped a full pack of smokes. Im an addict again.
puppetry, gladys and shakedown were the highlights for me. Intention was great too.
Thank you breakfast. :)
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;169285
Quote from: davepeck;169277

the jam in gladys was really something else. it was definitely the most mesmerizing part of the show for me. i wasn\'t sure if it just stood out to me because i was on another planet last night, but i would really like to hear it again.
so glad we got a shakedown! i texted steve on the way up asking if matt knew how to play any of the dead tunes that the band has covered and was told that he is not familiar with them. hearing that song made my night!!!

thank you very much taintface/taintlicker for the ride up..and for the dirt road adventure on the way back.

nah you werent just hearing things, im listening to that jam now and its redonkulous.  glady\'s is one of those songs that i absolutely love the experimenting they do in the jams, but im not a huge fan of the first part.  

matt\'s work in the jam is very good too, good job new guy! :wink:  listen to the ~5 minutes before the drum solo of the jam.  really different jamming from what i usually hear from the band, and i like it a lot.  very tasty.
DS Newbers

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 01:25:04 pm »
listening.... liking.....
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 01:37:50 pm »
Yeah this Gladys>Drum Solo>Gladys is something else alright. I am so glad to hear NEW and DIFFERENT jams coming out of nowhere.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 01:42:37 pm »
Can\'t wait for Fairfield after seeing this setlist.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon