Author Topic: I think its time for some new originals  (Read 1396 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
I think its time for some new originals
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:28:32 pm »
Looking at the lyrics section, it appears the breakfast hasnt released any new material in almost a year (feb \'07).  I think its about time we saw some new songs emerge.  is anyone with me?

maybe we can discuss here what kinds of new tunes we would like to see the band come out with.  Personally, i think it is time for the band to come out with a monstrous compositional work, a vertitable "Reba," if you must.  i would also like to see some new songs with more tasteful vocal sections/harmonies.

and funk, yes funk. more of that too.
DS Newbers

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
Dude chill. They\'re working on it remember? Matt has songs in the bag ready to share with the band and Tim is writing more for his Saga. They got it handled.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:35:13 pm »
I heard rumor that Matt is close to finishing 6-8 songs that he plans on introducing to the band.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:37:20 pm »
im chill, i just think we could use this forum to discuss what we\'d like to see in new b-fast material.

im thinking new years they might bust some out
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:37:20 pm by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:41:14 pm »
i\'ve been wanting to start a thread about this for a while.

this band NEEDS to write songs. they just don\'t have a lot of material.

only 24 new originals have been debuted since the beginning of 2002. that\'s only 4 songs a year. and of the 3 (or 4, depending on how you want to look at it) songs that have been debuted this year, only ONE is in any sort of rotation.

i dunno. the band can clearly write good music, but there\'s certainly no denying the fact that 4 songs a year is NOT a lot. :shrug:

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;169230

only 24 new originals have been debuted since the beginning of 2002. that\'s only 4 songs a year. and of the 3 (or 4, depending on how you want to look at it) songs that have been debuted this year, only ONE is in any sort of rotation.

i dunno. the band can clearly write good music, but there\'s certainly no denying the fact that 4 songs a year is NOT a lot. :shrug:

100% behind you.

They need to take a creative and artistic getaway to write more tunes.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 03:53:45 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;169231
Quote from: davepeck;169230

100% behind you.

They need to take a creative and artistic getaway to write more tunes.

Europe Tour 08\'..... travel the countryside... i know not gonna happen...... but it could
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

leith

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 04:06:29 pm »
You guys seem to forget they had a member that did not write songs.

You also seem to forget they all have/had day jobs except for Tim. Not alot of time to be writing new stuff when trying to pay bills. Tim can\'t write every song.

Ron has started writing so that\'s something.
Now they have a new guy that can be fairly prolific. Give him some time. As has been mentioned he has a bunch ready so we know songs are coming.

This band takes it\'s time but I dare say there are not too many songs they debut that disappear quickly and we are pretty damn happy with what they have given us.

Hell the entire repertoire is feeling pretty new to me. I would love to see more new songs sure but having them figure out new ways of jamming the songs they have is pretty satisfying for me.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 04:28:39 pm »
Quote from: leith;169234

You also seem to forget they all have/had day jobs except for Tim. Not alot of time to be writing new stuff when trying to pay bills. Tim can\'t write every song.

But he should write more songs if he has the time.  i think tim is a genius on guitar.  i really dont think the live music community has seen a lead guitar player like tim really since trey first emerged to the public in the early 90\'s (with the expection of a few, but thats off the topic).  Tim clearly has the inventive mind to write awesome compositional works.  I dont know tim personally as a lot of you do from back in the day, so i dont know if he is very pro-active about writing new stuff, or if he is like my band\'s guitar player used to be (lazy, not hard working towards composing).  in either case, he certainly has the means to do it, and i think its time we saw some new stuff.

and if i sound like im being critical, im only trying to see the band succeed.  they need criticism to progress.
DS Newbers

leith

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:52 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;169237
Quote from: leith;169234

But he should write more songs if he has the time.  i think tim is a genius on guitar.  i really dont think the live music community has seen a lead guitar player like tim really since trey first emerged to the public in the early 90\'s (with the expection of a few, but thats off the topic).  Tim clearly has the inventive mind to write awesome compositional works.  I dont know tim personally as a lot of you do from back in the day, so i dont know if he is very pro-active about writing new stuff, or if he is like my band\'s guitar player used to be (lazy, not hard working towards composing).  in either case, he certainly has the means to do it, and i think its time we saw some new stuff.

and if i sound like im being critical, im only trying to see the band succeed.  they need criticism to progress.

Dude ask around, if anyone understands constructive criticism towards this band it\'s me.
I just think that with the addition of Matt we need to give them some time and we will be very happy with the results.

Oh and btw take a look at the lyrics area and you\'ll see plenty of originals you probably have never seen live and probably some you have never even heard. They could expand the current setlists for sure with what they have now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:37:30 pm by leith »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »
Quote from: leith;169241
Dude ask around, if anyone understands constructive criticism towards this band it\'s me.

You mean because you have the most experience trashing the band >> turned recent fanboy?

:beerban:

/bitter cuz I can\'t make the church/
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 06:26:59 pm »
Quote from: derickw;169233

Europe Tour 08\'..... travel the countryside... i know not gonna happen...... but it could

Now we\'re talking!! :)
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

leith

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;169251
Quote from: leith;169241

You mean because you have the most experience trashing the band >> turned recent fanboy?

:beerban:

/bitter cuz I can\'t make the church/

I never trashed the band. I have criticized their business practices and lack of touring in the past, expressed less interest in the band w/o keys and championed the need for a new keyboardist. That\'s all.

Funny what many of you called trashing, the band has told me personally they took it as it was intended, constructive criticism out of my love for this band and the guys in it.

I will give you that I have become much more positive about the band and am more apt to hold my tongue/fingers before posting any displeasure.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:40:59 pm »
fair enough Leith. I actually agreed with much of your thought during the trio era. I just couldn\'t resist ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 06:47:34 pm »
of course id love new material, but actually i think they have a lot of extremely eclectic material compared to most bands i see live. i think they do work hard and it seems like any time they release something fresh it\'s really, really good. ill take quality over quantity, and i dont think either is really lacking.

a band like umphrey\'s writes new shit more frequently, but all too often they are regurgitating very similar structure and melody. i mean do you really want to see the band just fill up space with new tunes or totally rip solid, solid material that wasn\'t pushed just for the sake of feeling the need to write new material? obviously we\'d love to see them bust out epic tunes constantly but come on... yes i understand that they just covered all of lawn boy which could make some people wonder, "why dont they just keep on writing new material in the spirit of reba and others.." well there\'s a reason, it\'s not just physical ability, a great ear, and thousands of influences... there\'s an X-factor that can\'t be explained. i remember reading an interview with fishman years ago where he said "look, trey just shits good music".  

i dont know, i feel this is pushing criticism in an unhealthy direction. im sure tim is always brewing something new, leith is absolutely right with matt\'s addition being huge for what\'s to come, ron writes some good shit every now and then, adrian chips in. i\'ll be patient and let them do their shit at their pace, they\'re the professionals, and clearly passionate professionals. this kind of pressure from fans is unnecessary imo, specifically in TB\'s case.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash