Author Topic: Movie Suggestions  (Read 107883 times)

Dweasel Weasel

• b\'fam legal counsel
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #525 on: May 11, 2009, 11:40:01 am »
I was going to see The Wrestler, but anything that stars Mickey Rourke makes me hesitate.  Loved him in Diner (another great movie, btw), but he kinda went off the edge after 9 1/2 weeks.  He\'s just a bit freaky to me.  (like Marlin Brando after Last Tango in Paris).  It doesn\'t count as acting if you are as insane in real life as you are on screen, no?
Just looking for peace.  Seriously.

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #526 on: May 11, 2009, 11:43:39 am »
Quote from: davepeck;230024
Quote from: tyzack;230021
I finally watched The Wrestler over the weekend; that was great.

Can Darien Atrosky make a happy film?

heh. i also watched The Wrestler over the weekend. really enjoyed it, though i would say that it is slightly overrated.

also saw Gone Baby Gone, which was decent, but i didn\'t think it was deserving of the 7.9 it got on imdb. i gave it a 6.

I want to see The Wrestler. But I can\'t stand wrestling. So I don\'t know if I should bother.
But I DO like Marisa Tomei and I think she\'s in that movie. But Mickey Rourke is in it and he\'s kinda scary looking. :sigh:

Dweasel Weasel

• b\'fam legal counsel
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2009, 11:46:51 am »
Quote from: phirehead;230027

heh. i also watched The Wrestler over the weekend. really enjoyed it, though i would say that it is slightly overrated.

also saw Gone Baby Gone, which was decent, but i didn\'t think it was deserving of the 7.9 it got on imdb. i gave it a 6.

I wanted to see The Wrestler. But I can\'t stand wrestling. So I don\'t know if I should bother.
But I DO like Marisa Tomei and I think she\'s in that movie. But Mickey Rourke is in it and he\'s kinda scary looking. :sigh:

See?  It\'s not just me.  Mickey is scary.
Just looking for peace.  Seriously.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:52 am »
Watched Traitor with Don Cheedle this weekend. Entertaining.

Also, got around to finishing Man On Wire which is a documentary about Pierre Petit who tightrope walked between the two twin towers in Aug 1974. Basically shows how easy it was to break into the twin towers at that time along with this mans serious balls to do so as well as walk across 8 plus times on a wire, not to mention lying down.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2009, 01:04:30 pm »

I want to see The Wrestler. But I can\'t stand wrestling. So I don\'t know if I should bother.

Ya don\'t need to like wrestling to appreciate The Wrestler.  But definitely not the feel good film of \'08, but still quality.

Marisa oh Marisa, mmmmmmm Marisa.  Can you get nominated for being 44+ and having a smoking body?  Maybe MTV can add a category "hottest over 40 body in a movie"... do they still have movie awards on MTV?

So I added Amelie to my Netflix queue, per the recommendation of this board... Netflix in turn recommended The Delicatessen, which I thought was pretty wild when I originally saw it (oof!! many many years ago):

Gentle clown Louison (Dominique Pinon) moves into an apartment building with a deli on the ground floor and falls for the butcher\'s daughter, Julie (Marie-Laure Dougnac). It\'s soon discovered that Julie\'s father (Jean-Claude Dreyfus) is actually butchering people ( a la Sweeney Todd) and selling the meat to tenants. At a crossroads, Julie must decide whether to remain loyal to her father or expose him to save Louison from becoming the next entree.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:23:30 pm by SlimPickens »

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2009, 01:19:13 pm »
I saw Ameile. Enjoyed it for the art of film more than anything.

tyzack

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »
Quote from: Dweasel Weasel;230028

I wanted to see The Wrestler. But I can\'t stand wrestling. So I don\'t know if I should bother.

See?  It\'s not just me.  Mickey is scary.

Well, I have never seen a movie with Marisa or Mickey before, but i thought that both of the characters felt very real to me. I also thought that Mickey did a great job of conveying the hopelessness/joy of his condition.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
If you think Rourke is distrubing, check out Vulgar (the clown)...

Also looking forward to hopefully getting the new Friday the 13th, since it\'s perfectly released the Tuesday before Father\'s Day...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:07:19 pm by Yoda »
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #533 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:13 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;230040
If you think Rourke is distrubing, check out Vulgar (the clown)...

....now believe me i love to get down with a movie that makes your insides turn and your stomach knot up....but this movie was beyond disturbing...on many different levels...
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2009, 10:31:14 am »
In Bruges
imdb

Definitely worth your netflix queue.  So surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Hysterical, heart breaking, and all around good movie.

Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;233588
In Bruges
imdb

Definitely worth your netflix queue.  So surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Hysterical, heart breaking, and all around good movie.

I saw this.

It was good.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #536 on: June 16, 2009, 10:40:51 am »
the hangover
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #537 on: June 16, 2009, 10:41:52 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;233593
the hangover

I watched this Sunday morning when I went to visit a friend who had a bootleg of it.

Really is that funny.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #538 on: June 16, 2009, 01:02:34 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;233592
Quote from: SlimPickens;233588
In Bruges
imdb

I saw this.

It was good.

The scene when he steals all the drugs and party\'s with the hookers and dwarf is funny stuff.  

"if there was a race war, would you fight against black dwarfs?"  

"YOU DON\'T KNOW THE KINDA SHIT I\'VE TAKEN FROM BLACK DWARFS!!"

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #539 on: June 16, 2009, 09:46:47 pm »
That scene was the best in the movie. It was dark but seriously good.