Author Topic: Movie Suggestions  (Read 107869 times)

estahwhaddup

• probably the only asian
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:17 pm »
clint eastwood is the only man that can get away with saying racial asian slurs and make it funny.  the movie was great!  (especially the dog jokes!)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley

Whathefunk

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #436 on: January 26, 2009, 01:23:18 am »
Quote from: wildcoyote;217019
Quote from: lilblondie;216932
the wrestler was pretty dope...

Really excellent.  A movie hasn\'t made me think like this since There Will Be Blood.  Very well written, directed, acted.  Nothing you see is by accident, every last detail in the film has  purpose.

And to make it clear the movie has very little do to with wrestling.  I haven\'t been a pro wrestling fan since I was 12, and I enjoyed the movie a lot.

long live Randy the Ram

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #437 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:42 am »
Quote from: estahwhaddup;217640
clint eastwood is the only man that can get away with saying racial asian slurs and make it funny.  the movie was great!  (especially the dog jokes!)

IMO what made that possible were the scene\'s with his barber calling him a dumb pollock.  Then you realized that he\'s a miserable dinosaur, but he can take it as good as he gives it (The Don Rickles Effect... which is a dying breed).  Clint walked a very fine line with this character, but I think he did it successfully.  And his relationship with the girl next door made you realize that he really does have a big heart, just never figured out how to show it.

There was very little about that movie that was predictable.  I\'m very disappointed that this movie got completely snubbed by the academy, but I\'ll be seeing The Wrestler and Benjamin Button this week... so maybe I just don\'t yet know what it was up against.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #438 on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:03 am »
GREAT avatar Whathefunk.

Also saw Grand Torino this weekend.  It\'s a great movie, but you had to know there is no way in hell that a movie where the hero is Archie Bunkeresque racist as the hero is not getting nominated.  Just not happening.  Sure, the movie is in no way encouraging racism, but people would still be offended.  Especially in the hollywood film culture.  

On the other side of this, I had a friend say "They should just cancel the oscars and give them all to MILK right now. You know they will. Anytime they make a movie abot gay people it always wins all the oscars. Just the way it is."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:52:30 am by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #439 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;217660

On the other side of this, I had a friend say "They should just cancel the oscars and give them all to MILK right now. You know they will. Anytime they make a movie abot gay people it always wins all the oscars. Just the way it is."

Real enlightened friend you got there. :rolleyes:
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #440 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:15 pm »
saw a copy of that new movie Taken over the weekend, decent movie, I\'d watch it again
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

leith

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #441 on: January 26, 2009, 02:37:12 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;217693
saw a copy of that new movie Taken over the weekend, decent movie, I\'d watch it again

And Slumdog Millionaire was truly amazing. Absolutely one of the best stories in a movie in awhile for me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:41:09 pm by leith »

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »
Quote from: leith;217692

if i had a picture of my middle finger i would post it right here for you :)
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:25 pm »
Quote from: lilblondie;217704

Good thing he didn\'t hear the conversation about ping pong and civil rights.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:36:27 pm by wildcoyote »

leith

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2009, 04:19:59 pm »
Quote from: lilblondie;217704

Here you go for someone that wants to continue to support denigrating others purely due to sexual preference which is what that first statement veiled as it may be is.

:finger:

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #445 on: January 26, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »
Quote from: leith;217722
Here you go for someone that wants to continue to support denigrating others purely due to sexual preference which is what that first statement veiled as it may be is.

I can\'t believe I\'m spending this much time on this, but here goes:

The statement was an opinion that the Academy has it\'s own agenda for promoting films with a message it agrees with.  It is an opinion that the system favors the politically correct, and there are factors in the voting other than the artistic merrits of a film and the people involved.  For the same reason, they also seem to have a soft spot for movies depicting people with/overcoming disabilities.  It was a statement that these awards are often about politics as much as film making.  

Someone\'s right to critize an institution is the same as someone\'s right to choose their own sexual preference.

Your scramble for the moral high ground to condem this opinion is no different the preacher who points to a passage in the bible to condem alternative lifestyles.  

For the record- Lilblondie was NOT the source of the original comment.

leith

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;217723

I can\'t believe I\'m spending this much time on this, but here goes:

The statement was an opinion that the Academy has it\'s own agenda for promoting films with a message it agrees with.  It is an opinion that the system favors the politically correct, and there are factors in the voting other than the artistic merrits of a film and the people involved.  For the same reason, they also seem to have a soft spot for movies depicting people with/overcoming disabilities.  It was a statement that these awards are often about politics as much as film making.  

Someone\'s right to critize an institution is the same as someone\'s right to choose their own sexual preference.

Your scramble for the moral high ground to condem this opinion is no different the preacher who points to a passage in the bible to condem alternative lifestyles.  

For the record- Lilblondie was NOT the source of the original comment.

No scramble involved. The statement is what it is. Now if you want to couch it as a criticism of the Academy fine do so.
The fact remains that whoever said it said it the way they did and that can be and was construed as homophobic. No matter what the intent was it could have been stated better if even one person misconstrues it.

as for lilblonde if she was not the source of the comment or not I could care less the finger is still for her for butting in so rudely.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #447 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:20 pm »
Am I the only one that doesn\'t care to see grand torino because Eastwood is basically playing the same character he\'s been playing for the past 30 years?  I think he\'s a great actor, but he\'s had the same tone to his character whether it be dirty harry or any other movies he\'s done.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #448 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
How does this statement

Anytime they make a movie abot gay people it always wins all the oscars. Just the way it is.

equate to

denigrating others purely due to sexual preference.

??

Leith, IMO, that\'s a hyper-sensitive west BS.

While Wildcoyote\'s "friends" statement is not very accurate, you cannot deny that movies that deal in gay and lesbian theme\'s have not only done very well over the last 20 years (Philadelphia, The Crying Game, Boys Don\'t Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle), but they also get a lot of publicity when they do win.  Let\'s face it:

Hollywood loves to show how much more evolved they are then the rest of the world... smug bastards.

and

The homophobic world can\'t believe that not only did people go to see a movie about gays, but they also liked it enough to give it awards.

So they both highly publicize it.  Hollywood in that "I\'m so evolved, you should smell my farts" kinda way and the Biblebelt in that "holy baby jesus, don\'t ever leave Kansas \'cause dudes are kissin\' each other out there in California".

leith

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #449 on: January 26, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;217730
How does this statement

Anytime they make a movie abot gay people it always wins all the oscars. Just the way it is.

equate to

denigrating others purely due to sexual preference.

??

Leith, IMO, that\'s a hyper-sensitive west BS.

While Wildcoyote\'s "friends" statement is not very accurate, you cannot deny that movies that deal in gay and lesbian theme\'s have not only done very well over the last 20 years (Philadelphia, The Crying Game, Boys Don\'t Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle), but they also get a lot of publicity when they do win.  Let\'s face it:

Hollywood loves to show how much more evolved they are then the rest of the world... smug bastards.

and

The homophobic world can\'t believe that not only did people go to see a movie about gays, but they also liked it enough to give it awards.

So they both highly publicize it.  Hollywood in that "I\'m so evolved, you should smell my farts" kinda way and the Biblebelt in that "holy baby jesus, don\'t ever leave Kansas \'cause dudes are kissin\' each other out there in California".

Well first, the fact that you list 20 years of movies that you list as gay or lesbian themed and the original statement\'s bolded pieces are still used in this person\'s common conversation about the subject. It\'s about time people thought of these movies not as gay or lesbian but rather just another aspect of the human condition. That\'s why the Academy tends to vote this way because still after all these years ignorance concerning the homosexual community still runs rampant.

Second, absolutes usually portray the way a person feels about a subject.

Third, if you think it\'s hyper-sensitive west B.S. well my first point is just reinforced.