Author Topic: Movie Suggestions  (Read 107814 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2008, 07:54:53 am »
Dan In Real Life.  Not great, but solid.  Lots of great actors, awkward laughs and quality writing.

SkyePrizm

• separator
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2008, 01:04:56 am »
As expected, Indiana Jones was HIGHLY overrated.  
Though it was cool seeing the streets of New Haven....i totally could see the corner of High and Chapel....

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2008, 02:36:23 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;190760
Dan In Real Life.  Not great, but solid.  Lots of great actors, awkward laughs and quality writing.
I liked this movie alot.

Quote from: SkyePrizm;190868
Though it was cool seeing the streets of New Haven....i totally could see the corner of High and Chapel....

THANK YOU. I went w/ 2 good friends and they were all gaga about it and I felt like it was either 2 action scenes short, [spoiler]they could have made the ant scene waaay more gruesome[/spoiler] and added another action scene somewhere, or at the least introduced Karen Allen earlier in the movie. She was a delight. Her and Harrison\'s chemistry is undeniable.
[spoiler]The whole Alien skull angle could have been cool if they had actually taken plot seriously. It was cool they kept with the whole Serial motif(in the 50\'s UFO\'s and the Reds) but focused more on the Aliens and as far as I was concerned the "Reds" may as well been Nazis as that angle was set up and just left within a few scenes.[/spoiler]

The nods to the past movies were cool and you actually had to pay attention for a couple.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:38:27 am by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

SkyePrizm

• separator
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2008, 11:11:25 am »
Quote from: leith;190873

I liked this movie alot.

THANK YOU. I went w/ 2 good friends and they were all gaga about it and I felt like it was either 2 action scenes short, [spoiler]they could have made the ant scene waaay more gruesome[/spoiler] and added another action scene somewhere, or at the least introduced Karen Allen earlier in the movie. She was a delight. Her and Harrison\'s chemistry is undeniable.
[spoiler]The whole Alien skull angle could have been cool if they had actually taken plot seriously. It was cool they kept with the whole Serial motif(in the 50\'s UFO\'s and the Reds) but focused more on the Aliens and as far as I was concerned the "Reds" may as well been Nazis as that angle was set up and just left within a few scenes.[/spoiler]

The nods to the past movies were cool and you actually had to pay attention for a couple.

Yes, same here. I enjoyed the mentions of the old movies....and Karen Allen was a surprise, but i kind of figured out that plot angle from almost the beginning of the movie.  

What did you think of Shia? I really loved him in Bobby and i think he really has the potential to be a great actor, i just didnt like him in this character.  Seemed over the top.  Like he was playing the Fonz the whole time or something. I dont know.  

But same with me, my two friends thought it was awesome,and i was like eh, definitely not better than the last one.   Too many special effects for me.  If you stayed for the end of the credits, it was like ALL special effects.  

Also, i want to know why the big motorcycle chase scene was cut and edited.  I had gone down to the Indy casting when they were in New Haven.  And they had a bunch of different scenes they were casting for....one was this huge football scene in the yale bowl.  They were looking for "cheerleaders" and "football" players because the chase was suppossed to go through there....  :shrug:   Maybe they switched that out with the scene on the green....  And I am glad to see the part i was trying to get and didn\'t was cut.  They were looking for a girl to be walking a dog in the background.  Oh well....

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2008, 01:34:57 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;190879
Quote from: leith;190873

I liked this movie alot.

Yes, same here. I enjoyed the mentions of the old movies....and Karen Allen was a surprise, but i kind of figured out that plot angle from almost the beginning of the movie.  

What did you think of Shia? I really loved him in Bobby and i think he really has the potential to be a great actor, i just didnt like him in this character.  Seemed over the top.  Like he was playing the Fonz the whole time or something. I dont know.  

But same with me, my two friends thought it was awesome,and i was like eh, definitely not better than the last one.   Too many special effects for me.  If you stayed for the end of the credits, it was like ALL special effects.  

Also, i want to know why the big motorcycle chase scene was cut and edited.  I had gone down to the Indy casting when they were in New Haven.  And they had a bunch of different scenes they were casting for....one was this huge football scene in the yale bowl.  They were looking for "cheerleaders" and "football" players because the chase was suppossed to go through there....  :shrug:   Maybe they switched that out with the scene on the green....  And I am glad to see the part i was trying to get and didn\'t was cut.  They were looking for a girl to be walking a dog in the background.  Oh well....

I think Shia is a fine actor with much potential. Once he got past the whole"you got a problem with that?" and settled in I liked his character alot.

During one of the jeep chase scenes I leaned over to my friend Kevin and asked him if he saw any Ewoks because I felt I had seen the same scene in Return of the Jedi just switch jeeps for Speeder Bikes. You know what scene I\'m talking about it was so blatant.

After the 1st viewing I def. think it is the weakest of the 4.
I said then I need to see it again but I do not think my opinion will change much.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »

between that and august rush you really need to quit it with the shitty movies...
:)
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

tyzack

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2008, 09:35:25 am »
Kingdom of Heavan, much better than I thought it would be.

It was a little to very anti-cursader, but, meh, whatever.

More movies should be made about that time period.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2008, 10:06:24 am »
Quote from: lilblondie;190948

between that and august rush you really need to quit it with the shitty movies...
:)

Dan In Real Life wasn\'t shitty.  It was good, not great, but good. 4 outta 5 stars.

peaches626

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2008, 01:42:51 pm »
I just watched three movies in the past few days...

Cloverfield- Kind of a modern day monster movie (Godzilla or King Kong type of thing).  Not terrible but I wasn\'t crazy about it.  Acting = meh. Not a thick or surprising story, but very cool special effects/ digital shiz goin on.  

The Darjeeling Limited-  I think I remember a lot of people fluffing this movie, so I checked it out with high hopes.  I really like the way Wes Anderson\'s movies look, and I like the characters, but the story doesn\'t too much for me.  Really good movie though.  I think I thought the same thing about Royal Tennenbaums, but I haven\'t seen that one in a while.  Would see again.

Juno-  This is one of those movies that I ending up liking a lot more than I thought I would.  Expected lot\'s of cheesiness, but it never got *too* bad.  Loved the characters, story, and style.  Ellen Page was really good as the main character and I love the characters Michael Cera plays.  I endorse this movie.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

peaches626

Movie Suggestions
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »
A couple more from the .info suggestions i recently saw....

Dan in Real Life- not terrible, but dissapointing.  Sort of funny.  Uber-cheesy.  Steve Carrell cashing in on his name being big.  

Lars and the Real Girl- I liked it.  The whole movie I was awkwardly trying to figure out whether I was supposed to laugh or feel real bad for this guy.  Ryan Gosling was real good, but his brother in the movie bothered me.  

Death at a Funeral- pretty funny, not too long.

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead-  Very good.  Enjoyed all the characters and the actors in their roles.  Crazy story, interesting way of telling it.  And yes, Tomei is smokin.

Don\'t remember seeing it mentioned here, but America Gangster was pretty good as well.  Denzel is an acting icon of this generation, and he was awesome in the role.  The movie has a cool look to it, and there\'s lots of extra footage/deleted scenes/interviews/making of the movie which is very cool because it is based on a true story.

Oh and i forgot I saw Will There Be Blood, and that was awesome!  Maybe a tad bit long, but Daniel Day Lewis was amazing in his role, and the movie was just really well done all around- cinematography/sound/music/acting/editing
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:04:08 pm by peaches626 »
taints rule, gypsies drool!

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:58 am »
Quote from: peaches626;191940
Lars and the Real Girl- I liked it.  The whole movie I was awkwardly trying to figure out whether I was supposed to laugh or feel real bad for this guy.  Ryan Gosling was real good, but his brother in the movie bothered me.

I have this one a couple down in my queue. It looks really entertaining.

Death at a Funeral- pretty funny, not too long.

I really enjoyed this movie and laughed throughout most of it.

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead-  Very good.  Enjoyed all the characters and the actors in their roles.  Crazy story, interesting way of telling it.  And yes, Tomei is smokin.

This movie really angered me. All the characters were low-life scum who contributed nothing to society (at least in the scenes we see them in). I won\'t throw any spoilers out there but the entire premise of their heist is absurd. The only redeeming factor is Marisa Tomei putting em on the glass multiple times. She\'s smoking for being in her early 40\'s.

Oh and i forgot I saw Will There Be Blood, and that was awesome!  Maybe a tad bit long, but Daniel Day Lewis was amazing in his role, and the movie was just really well done all around- cinematography/sound/music/acting/editing

This is sitting in my living room right now. Looking forward to finally watching it.
Smell my mule.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2008, 09:08:24 am »

i just watched this movie last night and passed out right at the end, but then i watched it over...whew! anyways i agree with you about trying to figure out how to feel, i was surprised at myself seeing that i spend my days with mentally ill people and as for the brother, i see people like him every day. what he needed was a punch, a hug and a good explaination about what mental illness it...overall i thought it was a gem if a movie.
either way...

SkyePrizm

• separator
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2008, 01:06:26 pm »
Quote from: lilblondie;192033

i just watched this movie last night and passed out right at the end, but then i watched it over...whew! anyways i agree with you about trying to figure out how to feel, i was surprised at myself seeing that i spend my days with mentally ill people and as for the brother, i see people like him every day. what he needed was a punch, a hug and a good explaination about what mental illness it...overall i thought it was a gem if a movie.

I actually watched this the other night.  I couldn\'t sleep and rented it on on-demand cause i was curious.   I felt the exact same way about the brother.  He annoyed me for the majority of the movie.  

I really thought this was a cleverly written story.  There was great wit in some of the social scenes.   Funny at times, yet also very melancholy.  I loved the way small-town life was portrayed also.   And how the townspeople gave "bianca" a life.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2008, 01:34:44 pm »
i watched Funny games last night...very strange movie....

i also saw The Strangers and between these two movies i will never own a vacation home on a lake!
either way...

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #239 on: June 19, 2008, 02:50:10 pm »
Tonight I\'ll be watching:

THE MACHINIST (El Maquinista)

Trevor Reznik is a lathe-operator who suffers from insomnia and hasn\'t slept in a year. Slowly, he begins to doubt his sanity as increasingly bizarre things start happening at work and at home. Haunted by a deformed co-worker who no one seems to think exists, and an ongoing stream of indecipherable Post-It notes he keeps finding on his fridge, he attempts to investigate what appears to be a mysterious plot against him and, in the process, embroils two women in his madness.

And Spacey, since I know you\'ve been trolling .info, this movie stars Christian Bale

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:54:33 pm by SlimPickens »