Author Topic: The 07-08 National Hockey League thread  (Read 20831 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
The 07-08 National Hockey League thread
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2008, 10:10:26 am »
I made it through the second OT then went to bed. That second OT was probably some of the best goal tending I\'ve seen in a long time. I\'m glad this series didn\'t end last night. Going back to Pittsburgh gives the Penguins a huge momentum swing. If they can manage to score 1 or 2 goals early they should be able to ride that (and the home crowd) back to Detroit for a Game 7.

Quote from: FrankZappa;191743
espn isn\'t going to go after hockey unless hockey gives them back an offer they like. In the mean time, enjoy vs. :shrug:

I know you work for ESPN, so don\'t take this personally, but outside of Baseball Tonight I really can\'t stand that channel. Most of their announcers/analysts are annoying and they run the same bs stories over and over and over. For instance, when Marvin Harrison was questioned in a shooting they broke to that story every 10 minutes...where did that one end up? ESPN has turned into the FoxNews of the sports world. Versus is a much better channel plus I feel the quality of their HD feed looks better than any of the ESPN HD feeds.

Quote from: tyzack;191737
However, they will get trounced in ratings on Thrusday.

Game 6 of the Stanley Cup is on Wednesday, not Thursday. I doubt they would set up the NBA to directly compete with the NHL.
Smell my mule.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:39 am »
I stayed up and watched the whole game.   Seriously, I love hockey like this.  So exciting.     I can\'t believe Detroit let this slip through their fingers.   But i am sure they will recover and win the cup tomorrow night.

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2008, 10:34:58 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;191744

espn isn\'t going to go after hockey unless hockey gives them back an offer they like. In the mean time, enjoy vs. :shrug:

I know you work for ESPN, so don\'t take this personally, but outside of Baseball Tonight I really can\'t stand that channel. Most of their announcers/analysts are annoying and they run the same bs stories over and over and over. For instance, when Marvin Harrison was questioned in a shooting they broke to that story every 10 minutes...where did that one end up? ESPN has turned into the FoxNews of the sports world. Versus is a much better channel plus I feel the quality of their HD feed looks better than any of the ESPN HD feeds.

Quote from: tyzack;191737
However, they will get trounced in ratings on Thrusday.

Game 6 of the Stanley Cup is on Wednesday, not Thursday. I doubt they would set up the NBA to directly compete with the NHL.

Time is an illusion. Therefore my statement stands. But I am glad that I won\'t have to fight for the right to watch hooooooooooockey!

People have ESPN as a name as a generic sports channel in their head. They will not go looking around for other channels (even if it\'s NBC) to find something to watch. The only stumblers you might get on NBC are people looking for The Office reruns, or something.

I will give sports center credit for actually talking about hockey now - I love the Don Cherry interviews. That guy needs to get on Versus/ESPN full time or I need to figure out a way to get CBC. However, I remember watching a full 90 minute sports center some saturday morning in mid-march and the only mention of hockey was a peice about 1h15min in about "the worst hair styles in sports" and they mentioned some guy with a fro from the 70s. That soured my view of ESPN serverly.

As for the actual game; yes it was amazing. I couldn\'t tune away from it. I loved the "Stanely" chants in the 3rd period only to be silenced by the best play in sports (goalie pulled to win/tie an elimination game).

Then the non-stop of the over time, I kept on waiting for people to start "sitting back" and waiting for the other team to make a mistake (4 minute high-sticking...), which is, in my opinion, what normally happens, but those two extra 20s that I watched were anything but that.

People who watched the WNBA should hate themselves for watching that crap instead of the Stanely Cup Finals.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2008, 11:02:33 am »

my hero. :)

go pens!

::falls asleep on desk::

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2008, 11:22:20 am »
As much as I don\'t care for either of these teams, the championship series for any sport should be on network television if not ESPN.  MLB, NFL and NBA (and I\'m sure MLS) all get network play for their individual championships.  It\'s a slap in the face to hockey.  I know that post-lock out, the ratings have been really low, but unless you generate some sort of public viewing of the sport, it\'s never going to generate any momentum.  On new years, after the outdoor game in Buffalo, people were interested (why have that game on network tv and not the Stanley Cup).  I think that this is the perfect time for hockey to be on network tv, AI and DWTS is over and there really isn\'t much on TV, so people are basically forced to watch baseball, re-runs, cable TV or whatever crap is on network tv (perfect timing for NHL to step in and get some access to these viewers).
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2008, 11:33:24 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;191744

I know you work for ESPN, so don\'t take this personally, but outside of Baseball Tonight I really can\'t stand that channel.

Obviously booztravlr doesn\'t know me very well. rotfl
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:14 am »
Quote from: Yoda;191756
As much as I don\'t care for either of these teams, the championship series for any sport should be on network television if not ESPN.  MLB, NFL and NBA (and I\'m sure MLS) all get network play for their individual championships.  It\'s a slap in the face to hockey.  I know that post-lock out, the ratings have been really low, but unless you generate some sort of public viewing of the sport, it\'s never going to generate any momentum.  On new years, after the outdoor game in Buffalo, people were interested (why have that game on network tv and not the Stanley Cup).  I think that this is the perfect time for hockey to be on network tv, AI and DWTS is over and there really isn\'t much on TV, so people are basically forced to watch baseball, re-runs, cable TV or whatever crap is on network tv (perfect timing for NHL to step in and get some access to these viewers).

i 100% agree with this statement, because i scrambled around for hours trying to find a place that carried versus to watch game 2.  i was at a hotel with a sports bar and i went in to the bar.  

"hi, can you please put on the hockey game?"
"sure, what channel is it on?"
"versus"
"ok what channel is it on?"
"versus"
"huh"
"can i borrow the remote and look for it? (it was busy)"
"sure"

i googled on the phone and looked for sports bars and kept calling and none of them were answering their phones, one closed down, one was not open on memorial day, it just sucked.  and so i missed game 2.  fucking bullshit

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2008, 12:00:20 pm »
I have versus and I do watch the games, I just think that it\'s ridiculus that this is the only professional sport that is black-balled from network tv for it\'s championship.  I think that Bettman needs to grow a spine and go to the network execs and fight for some air time.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51:30 am »
218 posts, 15 pages, not too bad for a good season...

will the draft / off-season moves be discussed in this thread or the 08-09 one?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:38 am »
Quote from: tyzack;192521
218 posts, 15 pages, not too bad for a good season...

will the draft / off-season moves be discussed in this thread or the 08-09 one?

I think the 08-09 one, right?