Author Topic: The 07-08 National Hockey League thread  (Read 20852 times)

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
The 07-08 National Hockey League thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:49 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;175150
Quote from: antbach;175147
And for the record, both the Penguins and Sabres need to go back to those throwback jerseys, especially Buffalo (though I am biased because those were the same base style we used in youth hockey).

I liked the old school jerseys too.   I also agree on the Rangers/Bruins match-up.   I imagine tickets for that though would be outrageous...

im goin to the game saturday in boston.
<<< stoked.
GO STRANGERS!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:39 am »

The NHL needs to do one of these every year.

(rumor is Rangers/Islanders or Rangers/Devils at Yankee Stadium, and well, no tailgating with pick-up street hockey games in the Bronx puts a damper on the event);

my preference would be Bruins/Rangers (original six teams) at Gillette, and I will without a doubt put out $200 for a ticket.

And for the record, both the Penguins and Sabres need to go back to those throwback jerseys, especially Buffalo (though I am biased because those were the same base style we used in youth hockey).

I agree on all points. I hate the new(er) Buffalow jerseys that don\'t have a sabre on them...

TSN normally has good/better coverage of the NHL than ESPN, they even routinely give it front-page status.
Sources say Toronto will make an official pitch when the time is right with Montreal also considered to be a choice destination among the Canadian teams expected to show interest.

Rogers Centre in Toronto may seem like the obvious venue, but the fact Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment also operates BMO Field leads some to believe the Maple Leafs may push in that direction to avoid losing the full financial windfall that comes with every Toronto home game.

Sources say Leafs executives discussed revisiting the idea of hosting this event on Wednesday.

The venue is a concern to the National Hockey League both in size and cost of any necessary reconfiguration, so whether it\'s Toronto, or any other city, venue viability is high on the list of criteria.

Yankee Stadium in New York remains an attractive target as well with sources saying the Islanders and Rangers have had several conversations about the potential of playing at the famed ballpark before it closes.

The Islanders are believed to be pushing hard to bring this game to reality, leading the way in multiple discussions with both the Yankees and the NHL.  However, the competition for both the game and a matchup with the Rangers is said to be fierce.

Also, everything I have been reading and hearing (mainly from TSN) is that the NHL is really thinking that this was a success and is investigating the possibility of doing it again. The biggest hurdle is preparing the venue for the event.

What condition would the field at Gillete (or the Gaints Statuim) be on the Sunday after New Years for football?

I also don\'t think that they would put it in a venue that might not sell out. I am not sure that they could sell out Gillete Staduim when the Bruins struggle to sell out the Fleetcentre (they have done so not more than 6 times this year).

Last year’s Stanley Cup Finals only averaged a 1.2 on Neilson ratings, this game came in at 2.6

Now, NBC had an easy market - they were really only going against Michigan/Florida - on a day that people expect to sit around and watch sports, and that the Ducks/Sens match up wasn\'t very popular anyway, but hopefully this will be a sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:25:39 am by tyzack »
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 02:08:25 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;175159

I liked the old school jerseys too.   I also agree on the Rangers/Bruins match-up.   I imagine tickets for that though would be outrageous...

<<< stoked.
GO STRANGERS!

I\'m pretty sure the B\'s are playing the devils on sat. and the rangers game is in a couple weeks.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

tyzack

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2008, 02:15:05 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;175195

<<< stoked.
GO STRANGERS!

I\'m pretty sure the B\'s are playing the devils on sat. and the rangers game is in a couple weeks.

I want to go to a game that is sold out with all Bruins fans.
Last year I went to a Habs/Bs game that was 1/6 vs 5/6 fans and earlier this year I went to a rangers/bruins that was 1/3 vs 2/3rd

Or maybe not all, but enough so that the people there for the other team are a noticable minority, not enough to have you thinking, as you are walking around paying way too much for beer "wow, there are alot of xxx" fans here.

weekapaug19

• In the house
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 02:23:13 pm »
They might be able to sell out a bruins/rangers or bruins/canadians game.  Even though they rarely sell out now, playing in a place so big they could easily drop the ticket prices a lot.  Since no seats are on ice level, I wouldn\'t expect a ticket to be higher than $50.  Add lower ticket prices into the mix (which they should do now to attract more fans, the cheaper seats almost always sell out) + tailgating and you can probably fill up the place.

Quote from: tyzack;175196
Quote from: weekapaug19;175195

<<< stoked.
GO STRANGERS!

I want to go to a game that is sold out with all Bruins fans.
Last year I went to a Habs/Bs game that was 1/6 vs 5/6 fans and earlier this year I went to a rangers/bruins that was 1/3 vs 2/3rd

Or maybe not all, but enough so that the people there for the other team are a noticable minority, not enough to have you thinking, as you are walking around paying way too much for beer "wow, there are alot of xxx" fans here.

Detroit will be a good game for you then, but it\'s already sold out (i believe).  Problem with the habs/rangers is that these are 2 of the closer teams, so their fans are willing to travel to boston.

Pittsburgh games are pretty much all B\'s fans and sell out (people going to see crosby and malkin)

With the team doing very well this year, they may gain some fans back (although the celtics might take more away)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:23:13 pm by weekapaug19 »
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

tyzack

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 02:24:05 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;175197
They might be able to sell out a bruins/rangers or bruins/canadians game.  Even though they rarely sell out now, playing in a place so big they could easily drop the ticket prices a lot.  Since no seats are on ice level, I wouldn\'t expect a ticket to be higher than $50.  Add lower ticket prices into the mix (which they should do now to attract more fans, the cheaper seats almost always sell out) + tailgating and you can probably fill up the place.

During that storm we had a few weeks back they annouced (via e-mail/phone) that all tickets were $20 at the door.

2,500 showed up.

Tickets are stupid expensive, but much cheaper than MSG.

Where could you tailgate in the middle of a city, anyway?

weekapaug19

• In the house
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »
tailgating at Gillette, not in boston

and that snow storm was insane, they are lucky 2500 showed up that night....getting to the game must have been tough for anyone, especially out of towners

tyzack

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 03:11:26 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;175201

and that snow storm was insane, they are lucky 2500 showed up that night....getting to the game must have been tough for anyone, especially out of towners

If I lived in the city/on the subway lines I would have gone...assuming that the trains were not effected??

Normally I sit in the $80 seats behind the goal. Yes they are very expensive, but when I was in college i would easily burn $80 (frequently more) in a weekend.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;175199
Quote from: weekapaug19;175197

During that storm we had a few weeks back they annouced (via e-mail/phone) that all tickets were $20 at the door.

2,500 showed up.

Tickets are stupid expensive, but much cheaper than MSG.

Where could you tailgate in the middle of a city, anyway?

Sadly, nowhere.  I went to a rangers game before christmas.   completely awesome, except it was that night when it was pouring rain.  glad we drove in, and didnt take the train in.....

Quote from: tyzack;175203
Quote from: weekapaug19;175201

If I lived in the city/on the subway lines I would have gone...assuming that the trains were not effected??

Normally I sit in the $80 seats behind the goal. Yes they are very expensive, but when I was in college i would easily burn $80 (frequently more) in a weekend.

Behind the goal is my favorite seating so far.   When you are in the middle, you miss too much of the action.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:43:37 pm by SkyePrizm »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2008, 10:29:11 am »
My favorite seats at Hockey Games are in the corner on the glass. A friend of mine has 4 Bruins seats right on the glass in the Defensive zone. Cannot beat watching a game from there. His father has had the tickets for ever. I was lucky enough to enjoy some games from those seats at the old Boston Garden. You had to basically jam your knees against your chest to sit there tho, but it was fun.

The new garden there is tons of space and the camera man is standing right next to you so you occasionally get on TV which is good and bad I guess.

Haven\'t been to a Rangers game this year tho. In NYC we usually sit in the 400\'s the tickets are hard to get sometimes and expensive
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Inner_Score

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 05:26:27 pm »
go Flyers!

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2008, 07:48:12 pm »
Anyone watching the All-Star game besides me???

tyzack

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:27 pm »
Yeah, I liked the super skills last night too.

Personally, I think the judges were too lienant - giving points for attempts, not just goals,  but whatever.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 01:33:39 am »
Damn Hockey is way dangerous!. Richard Zednik had his Carotid Artery severed by a teammates skate! Crazy!
Thankfully he is in stable condition.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 02:18:57 am »
Really terrible. So glad to hear that he\'s hanging in there.
Masturbation in the MFA