Author Topic: The 07-08 National Hockey League thread  (Read 20686 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The 07-08 National Hockey League thread
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 07:57:34 pm »
Quote from: Inner_Score;171411
God. I hate the Rangers more than their friends though. That franchise has tried for the past ten years to buy a championship but all they do is overpay people out of their prime by about 5 years.

this is so not true. many of the new blood on the team has been groomed in the AHL and juniors. Sure they picked up some high priced talent in the off season but if you must be reminded there is a salary cap in the NHL and all the teams have to play by the same rules. so they were able in the last few years to free up a good amount of room in their cap which isn\'t possible if as you say they have been trying to "buy the cup for the past 10 years"

They added talent to try to take it to the next level, just because your team didn\'t want to spend $ and be competitive is not the fault of the rangers. and look where it got them, basically no where. their team is so so. I watch all their games, the GF is a HUGE rangers fan.

staal - draft pick
calahan - draft pick
orr - minors
Holwig - minors
dubinsky - draft pick

I\'m a Bruins fan by the way

The 1 thing that everyone can like about the rangers is they have a bunch of US born players, probably more than any other team.
Gomez (AK)                                      
Dubinsky (AK)
Drury (CT)
Holwig (CA)
Ryan Callahan (NY)
Mara (NJ)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Inner_Score

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 08:03:45 pm »
I should have been more specific and  said in the past. But right now, you\'re right. They did groom well.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 08:21:35 pm »
Quote from: Inner_Score;171463
I should have been more specific and  said in the past. But right now, you\'re right. They did groom well.

you are absolutely correct about them bringing high priced talent that generally underperforms. This year is like that. I think they have too many players playing a european style and no one wants to go in to the corners and dig and grind. when they do it they play really well but getting 60 minutes out of them is tough it seems
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Inner_Score

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 09:12:25 pm »
Also, Jagr will be traded either this year or in the off-season.

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 04:34:51 pm »
As long as the team that wins the cup this year comes from a city that has naturally freezing water during the winter, I\'ll be happy.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2008, 03:37:06 pm »
Is anyone else checking out this really cool game on NBC?  They are playing old school hockey outdoors.  Penquins vs. Sabres.

tyzack

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 08:20:58 am »
That game ruled, I was cheering for Buffalow, though.

I thought that Miller had successfully poke-checked the puck away from Crosby. Oh well, you can\'t win \'em all.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 09:05:02 am »
I watched part of it, but unfortunately, it was only 1/4 of my viewing capacity, what with 3 other bowl games on at the same time.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 09:19:30 am »
Quote from: Yoda;175084
I watched part of it, but unfortunately, it was only 1/4 of my viewing capacity, what with 3 other bowl games on at the same time.

I agree. I switched between it and the Michigan game until 2 minutes left in the 3rd, then watched the over time and shoot out in their entirety. Timing was perfect as I then tuned back to see Llyod win his final game.

Also, I have to say, NBC has to invest in some announcers with at slight to moderate Canadian accents. Hockey just isn\'t hockey when eveyone talks in proper American English.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 11:05:21 am »
I thought the outdoor game was a lot of fun.

The only slight drawback was the need to fix the ice conditions but wasn\'t that big of a deal considering.

Would have been cool to have gone to the utica show and then to the hockey game

tyzack

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:20 am »
This post has been proven by later posts to be stupid.

Pretend it was about why birds nests in trees.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:47:33 am by tyzack »

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:27 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;175093
Would have been cool to have gone to the utica show and then to the hockey game
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2008, 08:14:16 pm »
The NHL needs to do one of these every year. I watched the entire game, and then read pretty much every single article/analysis of the event that was on Yahoo! ESPN, and nhl.com. The whole thing was more about the experience, not just the game, though it is pretty awesome watching professional hockey players play while it is snowing, made me remember the days of playing on some pond in North Haven when I was 10ish (and makes it all but certain that I will dust off my skates and gloves this winter and get back on a pond and just skate around with a puck). Listening to Boomer Essaison (sp?) this morning talking about how the atmosphere and crowd noise was just like a football game, and reading fan responses from those who sat 3 rows from the top, I will definitely attend one of these events the next time it is within reasonable travel distance away and at a football stadium (rumor is Rangers/Islanders or Rangers/Devils at Yankee Stadium, and well, no tailgating with pick-up street hockey games in the Bronx puts a damper on the event); my preference would be Bruins/Rangers (original six teams) at Gillette, and I will without a doubt put out $200 for a ticket. And for the record, both the Penguins and Sabres need to go back to those throwback jerseys, especially Buffalo (though I am biased because those were the same base style we used in youth hockey).
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »
Quote from: antbach;175147
And for the record, both the Penguins and Sabres need to go back to those throwback jerseys, especially Buffalo (though I am biased because those were the same base style we used in youth hockey).

I liked the old school jerseys too.   I also agree on the Rangers/Bruins match-up.   I imagine tickets for that though would be outrageous...

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 09:56:42 pm »
I would love for the Devils to bring back the Christmas colors!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen