Author Topic: U-Melt  (Read 1455 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
U-Melt
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:28:12 pm »
Has anyone checked out/heard U-Melt yet?  These guys are really really tight, definitely worth checking out.  I like their sound a lot, its not really like anything else out there.
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
U-Melt
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 08:30:44 pm »
the breakfast have played with them a few times in the past. i thought they were decent, but nothing to write home about. haven\'t heard them in quite a bit though.

didn\'t they just play apostrophe recently? is that floating around anywhere?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
U-Melt
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:31:18 pm »
I haven\'t listened to UMelt in a long time. I don\'t think I have heard much about them for sometime either.

What do you recommend?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
U-Melt
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:32:18 pm »
yeah they\'ve really improved their sound within the past year.  im not sure about apostrophe.
DS Newbers

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
U-Melt
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:34:41 pm »
Wasn\'t UMelt the band the Breakfast drove by leaving 10,000 Lakes that were getting arrested or searched? It might have not been 10K Lakes but that is definitely the last time I heard about them.

davepeck

• Administrator
U-Melt
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:34:52 pm »
found it. this is pretty damn cool:
U-Melt Reveals its "Occasional Python"

Former New Groove of the Month U-Melt spent Saturday closing out a busy festival season with its annual pilgrimage to Greenfield, MA\'s Wormtown Music Festival. In past years U-Melt has treated festival goers to special surprises at Wormtown, including a 7+ hour all-night marathon set and a Beatles tribute, and this year proved to be no different. On Saturday U-Melt performed a 1.5 hour main stage set before headliner Max Creek and returned at 2:00 AM for a stealth U-Melt late night show under the name Occasional Python. As an added bonus, the group performed Frank Zappa\'s Apostrophe (\') in its entirety, including classic tracks like "Don\'t Eat The Yellow Snow," "St. Alfonzo\'s Pancake Breakfast," "Cosmik Debris," "Apostrophe" and the album’s closing number "Stink-Foot" (the latter of which features the line "Occasional Python"). Finding some time left in its set following the album cover, the band reached outside the Apostrophe track list and encored with their trademark Zappa cover song "Dancin\' Fool.” U-Melt will begin an extended Midwest tour September 25 with a show at Pittsburgh’s Moondog\'s.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
U-Melt
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:41:50 pm »
they have a lot of obscure but good songs, like the breakfast...check out "captain delicious," "Schizophrenia," "sequel," "red star" ...all those are good tunes with good composing/different changes

http://www.archive.org/details/a440-2005-06-19.flac16

^here they cover the entire "wish you wre here" album, tastie
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:41:50 pm by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
U-Melt
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:46:02 pm »
that is pretty ser. nice to see them doing well.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
U-Melt
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:41:29 pm »
they played with the breakfast at beardslee two Halloweens ago. breakfast was on the top floor and u-melt was on the middle floor but I was too busy doing drugs, drinking, dosing people, making out, watching my friends win the costume contest and waiting for the breakfast to come back on at set break to pay attention to them so I have no idea. but other people told me they were rockin it. they play at mezzanotte sometimes too and regulars there dig them.  doubt they hold a candle to bfast tho.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:50:03 pm by Klout »

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
U-Melt
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:47:54 am »
the handful of times I\'ve seen U-Melt I haven\'t been impressed.  I think they are talented musicians, I think its more frustration that they could be doing more.  They hit a point in their jams where you\'re like ok here it comes...............wait for it..................wait for it...........and.............nothing.  Although I will say I don\'t think I have seen them in the last year.  

Don\'t mean to come in here and start bashing.........
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

peaches626

U-Melt
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:45:16 am »
i saw them at moe.down last year and sort of thought something similar.  kinda biscuits-ish, no stage presence (except for the keyboardist), but potential
taints rule, gypsies drool!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
U-Melt
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:20:18 am »
http://www.archive.org/details/umelt2007-09-15.akg393.flac16

^^^ there Camp set. i don\'t have much if any of there stuff so i\'m gonna dl a bunch and see what these guys are all about
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
U-Melt
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:49 am »
Umelt formerly A440. I have seen them quite a few times.

They opened the Gathering of the Vibes on the main stage this year.

Zack is the keyboardist and the only one in the band I think I have ever really spoken to. Nice bunch of guys. I thought their set at vibes was really good. They had a bunch of tech difficulties but the did a killer version of "Eyes"

http://www.archive.org/details/umelt2007-08-09.km184.v2.flac16
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
U-Melt
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:25 pm »
Just another shitty jamband from NY.. and go figure they cover one of Zappa\'s worst/mainstream albums.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
U-Melt
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 01:46:39 pm »
Quote from: peaches626;160581
i saw them at moe.down last year and sort of thought something similar.  kinda biscuits-ish, no stage presence (except for the keyboardist), but potential

I dont think they sound anything like the disco biscuits.  the disco biscuits are way more single-genre.  I think the disco biscuits early stuff (before 2000) before they got into all trance was way better than their sound now.
DS Newbers