Author Topic: New SBD\'s  (Read 1896 times)

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
New SBD\'s
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:29:26 pm »
Hey all -
I have been thinking about this for a bit, and especially with the addition of Matt to the band I feel that the band should release at least one new SBD to the trading pools (archive or bt.etree or wherever).  I know that, financially speaking, it would make more sense to hold on to these and sell them due to the high quality and crispness of the recording.  At the same time if there were new shows available for people to get at for free it could really help spread the word of the band.  I don\'t know about you guys, but I am always trying to turn on new people to the breakfast.  And when I do it\'s either an audience recording of a recent show, which shows the musical ability but is rather difficult to digest/odd levels, or an old soundboard, which simply do not represent the band properly anymore.  Now if there was a new Soundboard, or possibly a soundboard sampler or something of that nature to show new heads... I feel like the band\'s popularity would benefit from this.  

Just an idea...
What do you guys think?

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
New SBD\'s
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:50:59 pm »
being a firm audience recordings over soundboard guy, i\'d say that the aud\'s out there are much better than an ambience-less soundboard mixed for the room not listening. there\'s no depth, no excitement to sbd\'s. and again, whoever\'s amps/vocal mics don\'t push enough will be the overwhelmingly loudest part of any soundboard. especially since they\'re still playing places where they don\'t all have to go through the pa in the first place. and do you really want to try to spread a show where the vocals are the most prominent?? no offense to the band, vox have gotten much better, but still....

of course, all that said, it seems like most younger folks (ie, ideal new fan candidates) like sbd\'s because they don\'t know how/have the equipment to truly listen to an audience recording, so maybe its not that bad an idea....

it hurt to type that.

ChrisF

New SBD\'s
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:59:27 pm »
why dont you download toads place? its sounds great. theres no need for a soundboard.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
New SBD\'s
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:24:53 pm »
Quote from: jking;157393
being a firm audience recordings over soundboard guy, i\'d say that the aud\'s out there are much better than an ambience-less soundboard mixed for the room not listening. there\'s no depth, no excitement to sbd\'s. and again, whoever\'s amps/vocal mics don\'t push enough will be the overwhelmingly loudest part of any soundboard. especially since they\'re still playing places where they don\'t all have to go through the pa in the first place. and do you really want to try to spread a show where the vocals are the most prominent?? no offense to the band, vox have gotten much better, but still....

of course, all that said, it seems like most younger folks (ie, ideal new fan candidates) like sbd\'s because they don\'t know how/have the equipment to truly listen to an audience recording, so maybe its not that bad an idea....

it hurt to type that.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also just to add a little. The venues very rarely allow soundboard access. Especially to tapers. The band may be able to get access but that also involves $ a lot of the time. Many venues even want tapers to pay to tape as well. Venues will allow AUD recording usually w/o a fee but some places are real hard asses about it. When their (the venue) EQ is being used the venue they will generally have their hand out. Which is fair in a way. Because the band intends to use it for commercial purposes.

A true multi-track recording mixed for recording and not FOH would be ideal but probably not likely until they get a few more $ in their pockets
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
New SBD\'s
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:27:04 pm »
i think you should have put a question mark in your thread title.

i also think new sbds would be awesome
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
New SBD\'s
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:28 am »
couldn\'t hurt to throw one out there for the people who will really only listen to SBD but i don\'t know about making it a steady thing. i think the tapers have done an excellent job at getting nice recording out to everyone. we just have to keep doing our part and burn some disks and give them out to random people.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
New SBD\'s
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:04:49 pm »
yea I wasn\'t saying it should be a regular thing, just a one-off or something to spread the word.  I know most of y\'all as fans eat up audience recordings, I was talking more about people who are new to the band.

Oh and I forgot to mention this before but, much love to the tapers, you guys make my day!

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
New SBD\'s
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:41:25 pm »
Soundboards, soundboards and then more soundboards.  All the time....  It\'s just baffling why this investment hasnt been made yet...
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
New SBD\'s
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;157497
Soundboards, soundboards and then more soundboards.  All the time....  It\'s just baffling why this investment hasnt been made yet...

agreed.

I believe something is in the works to get this done.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
New SBD\'s
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 02:54:15 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;157497

I\'d be content with one every 6 months or a year...
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
New SBD\'s
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »
they just added two SBDs to the site digitalsoundboard.net

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
New SBD\'s
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:50:04 pm »
Quote from: siflandollie;157753
they just added two SBDs to the site digitalsoundboard.net

Thanx for the tip downloading the Bfast one now.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
New SBD\'s
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:08:18 pm »
Chadwick doesn\'t like giving feeds off of his board and as soundman for the band he has just as much input as the venue does in deciding whether to give out patches. Yea some really great shows happen in venues where there are no sbs and the auds don\'t sound very good for whatever reason, but as fitzy pointed out, there are some really good sounding auds depending on the venues, such as toads.

For the time being it looks like your options are
talk to the band
talk to chad directly
talk to the venue
suck it up and just do an aud recording
try to get the band to play more shows at venues that sound good in auds such as toads

and the best way to do the last one is to get more people to the shows.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
New SBD\'s
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 08:27:29 pm »
They misspelled Matt\'s last name started it with a D not an O.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
New SBD\'s
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 08:51:47 pm »
Matt Doh\'streicher :doh:
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice