Author Topic: VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!  (Read 9897 times)

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:18 am »
Success..... it\'s been said. but to further that, being able to fund tB machine. merchandising, promotion, stage production.... throwing a party for your fans a la Phish festivals.

align with Raq, a combined effort from the two bands would yield great things. do while you can and grow together. two sets a piece switching after each set and swapping who closes the night. just try it as a northeast run..... 5-6 shows and see how it all works out.... once you work the bugs out of that i think it would a fun different type of show. and it will get people out for the whole night rather than just and influx when the band of choice comes on and in turn getting the fan together.

I wanna a live album early spring of next year. start building a sound board catalog... between the Freakout weekend, and New Years there should be enough fabulous recording to make an album. and that would cut a lot of the studio costs and want not out of there. the  return of the 4 piece needs to be showcased. just that fact alone will bring out mad people and everything else will bring them back next time.

if you wanna get younger kids into the band you have to find them. the best place imho.... rock festivals. try to get on the Ozzfest line up or Warped Tour... something like that. Go after a rock based crowd. the jamband kids will file in through there regular means but getting out infront of another type of crowd would be good. i don\'t see that happening with a bluegrass band, tB is to hard edged for that type of crowd.

making obscure covers your own, is always fun. i couldn\'t tell you how long it took me to figure out a BUNCH of Phish tunes were actually covers but put in there own unique style. I mean the Zappa covers have been exceptional in the past and i personally would have not listen to as much Zappa as i have recently if it weren\'t for tB doing a couple covers, shit like that... a little Herbie Hancock molded to a rocking Breakfast tune......

throw a show in Oneonta for god sakes so Klout can finally get the band back there. Don\'t be afraid to play in a smaller place as long as you know you\'ll be pretty much turning people away at the door. I\'d rather be shoulder to shoulder than in a half packed venue. but i guess thats also counter productive because you always want to be playing up to the next biggest venue.

I think everything is moving along quite well at this point we just need to keep the momentum rolling and keep building the hype. The music speaks for it\'s self but we just NEED to get more people out to shows to get hooked.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:33:54 am by derickw »
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 09:54:59 am »
  • Thread has \'thread of the year\' potential.

1. i would like the band to be able to be a band, and not have to worry about anything else.

i would like to see *tour* dates announced months in advance, and i would like to see mutiple *tours* per year.

i would like to see the band play to bigger crowds, and get to a point where they can feel confident playing a show on any night of the week, in any city in the US.

once these crowds get bigger, i would like to see the band move on to bigger venues, and not look back.

i would like to see the band become a regular on the \'first announcement\' list whenever a festival is announced, and not have to worry about some sort of american idol voting to get onto a bill.

i would like the band to write and debut new music at a faster pace, and record an album that sounds half as good as the playing/writing is.

i would like the band to be HAPPY and comfortable in their career, and not have to rely on other things to make ends meet.

i would like future posts like this to be posted by a manager, not a band member. don\'t get me wrong, matt. i LOVE your enthusiasm and drive and think it\'s exactly what the band needs, but i believe that the band will be successful when they don\'t have to worry about shit like this anymore.

1. because everyone here knows what this band is capable of, and you deserve it.

2. tour. write tons of music. choose your covers wisely. don\'t be afraid to cover complex or obscure music. your fans are smarter than you think. stop relying on the easy/popular covers. start recording shows on the road. get more merch. make an album with a producer with a different vision. don\'t ever stop playing. and for the love of god, bring back echidna\'s arf.

3. see 1.

4. can\'t really help there.

5. i\'m somewhat biased towards cancer charities myself, because it hits really close to home. the band also lost someone near and dear to them earlier this year to cancer. there are tons of well known charities out there (LIVESTRONG, Komen, etc.), but perhaps it would be beneficial for the band to find something local to donate to (The Carole and Ray Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center at the UCONN Health Center, as an example).

i also have to give a plug for another fantastic charity, also based in the northeast - ALS TDI (http://www.als.net). paul ryan and i did a 270-mile bike ride last month for this charity, and i learned a LOT. it was an incredible experience, and i would highly recommend this as a local charity of choice.

make contacts with these charities. let them know who you are and what you want to do, and they will help you every step of the way.

---

the future is very bright, and there are a LOT of optimistic people here. don\'t let us down, and we\'ll do the same.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 10:26:00 am »
Quote from: jking;156821
They realize their true audience isn\'t raucous, but rather introverted, intellectual and overall appreciative.

i think you\'re projecting a bit much there.... i\'m also not sure why everyone wants this band to bill them selves as more proggy. any new listener i hear from says that they are "too jammy". no mention is *ever* made of them being proggy at all. also, i see jamband festival, but i\'m not sure i\'ve heard of a single prog-rock festival. i\'d stick to where there\'s a built-in fan base rather paying money for shows than trying to get introverted intellectuals out of their houses in into gasp public!

that being said, i do think the chessy, 80\'s radio hits covers need to disappear, too. more obscure, turn some heads covers are a much better idea. as is the idea of building concepts within jams. takes its from wanky noodling to structured, directional themes. i do think that the band has been doing this much more lately than years ago, so i think its there, but needs to be more fully, intentionally developed.

I\'m definetly not projecting. Fans of progressive rock appreciate musicianship and composition skills above everything else, The Breakfast rarely get that appreciation from the jam crowd.  I think besides progressive rock they definetly fall into a neo-psychedelic genre, which unfortunately is a scene TOO under the radar.  Prog festivals FYI occur mostly in Europe, but America hosts one of the best in PA called NEARfest.   People in the jamscene are so closed minded. It\'s all about being bitter and cynical, looking down at bands because they sound nothing like Phish, the Dead, or Panic in their prime. It\'s a sad state of affairs that they can\'t get passed their own preconcieved notions of what constitutes good music and enjoy everything bands like Tb have to offer.    You can still play jamband markets, but your real fanbase will lie outside of.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 10:26:34 am »
i love this band so much

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 10:39:18 am »
breakfast.org is pretty cool

wow so i just checked it out and it\'s sweet.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:42:43 am by Lexington »
caress me, aunt jemima

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 10:42:43 am »
Add two more songs to the NEVER PLAY AGAIN list:
Bugs
No Glove, No Love
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 10:58:31 am »
Quote from: Klout;156790
I think their hope for new fanbase is in the youth. Young kids who still have an open mind to anything and can see it for what it is and embrace it.

I completely agree.  

Ages 17-21 are really looking for something new.   You need to find a way to tap into that base.  I am trying with the kids that i know, in hopes they will spread the word.  But it would help if more shows were in college towns or if there were more under 21 shows.

No matter what, the band should be proud of what they have accomplished.  It\'s one thing to have a dream, and its another to live it.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 11:23:16 am »
NO to Instant Live.

I still haven\'t heard a decent recording that they have done.

Soundboards are lame and stale. Most of if not all the venues these guys play in are gonna be mono mixes anyway. If they are traveling with their on board maybe but the instant live stuff is almost always plagued with digi issues and poor sonic quality.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
Umm, they don\'t have to use Instant Live. They can do it themselves and follow the model Um and Bisco use. The Um boards sound fantastic time and time again- Bisco is hit or miss. Either way your a taper, tape your auds and do what you will. Some of us prefer mixed boards. The band can sell them after shows, and IMO this could pay for their gas on the road....

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 11:44:58 am »
after pretty much every show i \'d probably get a live recording of it, if someone was selling them, especially tonite kiiiiiid
caress me, aunt jemima

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 11:45:02 am »
Quote from: TreyChica;156845
Umm, they don\'t have to use Instant Live. They can do it themselves and follow the model Um and Bisco use. The Um boards sound fantastic time and time again- Bisco is hit or miss. Either way your a taper, tape your auds and do what you will. Some of us prefer mixed boards. The band can sell them after shows, and IMO this could pay for their gas on the road....

i would think instant recordings at the end of shows would sell really well, i mean not everyone has the ability or the know how to dl shows. and to be able to walk of a show with a recording of it and share it while your really excited about it very good way to spread the sound of the band. i mean i could pretend to even know how to do any of that but i\'ve seen it done, or even give people a chance to pre order and just mail the show to them in a nice case with a cover and all that. some people might take up the opportunity to get something like that.... throw in a couple stickers or whatever and there you have a nice little memento of the show. a good way to gather names, email address and regular addresses for future promotional materials.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:16 am »
but are they playing venues big enough to have the whole band going through the soundboards yet? and what do you do about mixing? mix for the room or the recording? or do you have a seperate operation mixing for the recording? and if so, who pays for that guy/equipment? selling a few discs after the show to the few folks willing to wait the extra twenty or so minutes it takes, at 2am, in a bar with bartenders/bouncers encouraging folks to leave, will cover gas, but the extra employee? once they\'re in bigger venues, then fine, but not yet methinks.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 12:14:02 pm »
i\'ve seen it done at smaller places... successfully?.... i thought but i wasn\'t there to count the profits. i thought they were just mixing it on the fly.. they had a couple computers set up and after the first set they went through cleaned it up, i guess and started burning first set disks. but what about trying to take orders and sending out disks?

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 12:24:32 pm »
You are right Mr. Derick!!  They mix it on-the-fly (at least that\'s what UM does), have the first set done by the start of second set. They use digipacks for packaging.  After the show is sold it goes online for sale. Either the band can do this themselves, or they can do it through nugs.net\'s site http://www.livedownloads.com (I reccommend the latter).  Either way the boards end up on Oink, which regardless of what the band thinks, will only help spread the wildfire.

tyzack

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 01:27:30 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;156791
^^
Maybe if they would play a couple more Phish covers instead of retarded 80s hair band covers...

;)

Moma Dance

What? Their 80s hair band covers always make the show for me; it\'s like wow, where\'d that come from?

If anything they should cover dire straits, gary numan, or tears for fears or something.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.