Author Topic: VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!  (Read 9898 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 07:19:17 pm »
Quote from: leith;156773
Rex Foundation was founded by the Grateful Dead.

you are correct. It was the Mimi Fishman foundation I was thinking of

:red faced  :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 07:39:20 pm »
I want to hear what you want from the band or what you want to see the band do

1. Write a lot more really really good songs.  Get inspired. Its an amazing world we live in full of emotion and mystery and higher levels of awareness. Draw on that and channel the limitless creative vibration of the universe.

2.  Let your jams find their way to unique and unexpected places. Don\'t force them to go in the direction you think they should go or the way they have went in the past. I want to see a HUUUUUGE variety of very different very tasteful jams that I have never heard the likes of before.   With the number of songs you have as launch pads and your skill and creativity the possibilities are endless.  Don\'t be typical. Be anything and everything but. There is a zillion different directions any one song could go in. Don\'t limit yourself to something that might be expected. Branch out and do something new and exciting every time.

3.  Don\'t over do the cheesy covers. I am sure you guys get a kick out them but really most fans I know could live without 90% of them.  I\'d rather see a few real quality tunes become part of the regular rotation than a new piece of shit song from the 80\'s every weekend.

4. Tour as much as possible year round, hitting up the same places again and again to establish a real following.  If you play some random town and people love it then you never go there again for two years its just like starting all over again.

5. Be loyal to your established fan bases for their sake and yours.  Before your days Matt but the band made the worst single decision I have ever seen them make by snubbing oneonta and even your current manager and lighting designer will tell you that.  I know they were sick of the venue but there were other options. They lost to this day the biggest and most consistent draw they ever had in all of new york state including NYC because they didn\'t like the venue and were unwilling to explore other options. With an established fanbase like that and a new crop of college kids ready to rage every year oneonta was a GOLDMINE for them and they totally blew it. Don\'t want to see that happen again.

6)One other thing, I don;t know how much you have listened to old recordings of this band or attended actual shows but i think you definitely should listen to all the classic, ground breaking, epic shows that have been played to know just how high the bar has already been set and then properly blow the lid off all that and take it 10 zillion times higher.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:40:02 pm by Klout »

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 07:41:55 pm »
Quote from: jking;156772

raq is making a bigger name for themselves right now than the breakfast, and there\'s no reason the breakfast couldn\'t be making at least the same waves. maybe do an alternating set tour with raq. or try something completely different. what about hooking up with a new/jamgrass band? the acoustic/electric tour. more notes than anytour else!

rightfully so, RAQ has a much easier sound to digest, straight jammed rock...

Wikipedia
"In progressive rock, melodies tend to be long and often meandering, especially in instrumental solo passages, often with little or no clear indication of cadence. Unpredictability of the musical direction is a core characteristic for progressive music."

Even tho prog rock isn\'t their (Bfast) core sound, I think a worthy investment might be to experiment with different crowds, hook up with a \'jamgrass\' band as you mentioned just to see the reaction...ask around what people think of the sound, see what they are into/looking for, kinda assess their wave-length, you might be able to tap into a crowd that is on the same wave as a typical Bfast fan in terms of open-mindedness or what one may be seeking out in terms of sound...
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 07:50:18 pm »
the breakfast has always kinda got screwed in this way...they are labeled with the jamband stigma but they are way too hardcore and in your face for your average happy hippy. I don\'t know that there is any genre of already established fan base that would truly embrace them. I think they kind of have to just create their own from whoever gets it.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:16:03 pm »
Klout you give some good advice up there.

But I think the Breakfast is a jam band whether they like it or not. Just because the music doesn\'t put you to sleep doesn\'t mean its not "jam music".

I believe there are plenty of people in the "jam band scene" who would totally embrace The Breakfast .... like... "whoa these guys are puttin\' on a straight clinic on jam music!"

cuz that\'s how it is, that\'s how it was for me anyway. I was into Phish and other jam bands years ago when I first heard Psychedelic Breakfast. As far as I was concerned all PB did differently was take it to a higher level.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 09:07:56 pm »
I think their hope for new fanbase is in the youth. Young kids who still have an open mind to anything and can see it for what it is and embrace it. there is no hope of converting the moe crowd or bisco untzers or old phish heads or jamband scene in general. There is not a lot of people who have been around for a while and have never heard or seen the breakfast, if they were going to fall in love with they would have by now.  Go for the kids that have not bitten anything yet and  are hungry, screaming for something new to escape from all the garbage music that prevades pop culture. I\'d hit up the best \'laid back college party type\' bar in every ragin college town in the northeast, colorado and cali to start with.    The jamband bar cirquit is beat.  Break out of that mold.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:24:00 pm by Klout »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 09:13:14 pm »
^^
Maybe if they would play a couple more Phish covers instead of retarded 80s hair band covers...

;)

Moma Dance
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 10:26:43 pm »
1. I want to hear what success for this band would look like to you

1. Pretty much what everyone else wants.  I\'d like to see this band to be headlining outdoor sheds at the height of their careers.  Success right now is attracting fans who aren\'t friends of the band, or in their inner circle. We need to get them to be as obsessive as the rest of us. When this band can do whatever they want artisticlly and create albums that will go down in history, I say they have reached my definition of success!!

1. I want to hear reasons why you would like this to happen(if you would)  

Because regardless of the bullshit, they will always be one of my all time favorite bands. I\'ve had multiple peak experiences at their concerts and have merged with the divine on more than one occasion. They take me to that place and they do it fast and good.  Whenever my life turns to shit and I feel I don\'t have the strength to deal with it I\'ll throw on The Breakfast. The fact that they still write songs that move me to the point of bliss, is reason enough to stay around even though I\'m not welcomed, nor have any social connection within this community. When I first met these guys I was convinced they would be the next big thing ala Phish.  I turned EVERYONE I knew onto them. I tried to help out to the best of my abilities. I still have faith that this band will reach that point. I\'ve actually prayed multiple times that they would turn this shit around.....  Part of me has been saying, "fuck them, they\'re doing it to themselves, let them stew in failure"... but the other part says, "their music can change lives forever. They can bring people to the light".
I\'ve tried to quit this band multiple times. No one in my life likes them except for me, which plays a big part as to why I only go to local shows... and even then it\'s scarce.. I love the music, the energy, and their love for what they do.....

2. I want to hear what you want from the band or what you want to see the band do(I guarantee we will not make everyone happy- but we will do our best)

Stop playing songs about drugs. It cheapens your image.  Stop playing classic rock covers that you can hear on PLR any time of day. You guys are unique, which is why I was drawn to you. Take obscure covers and make them your own. Don\'t fear that people won\'t be attracted to it. Introduce new and wonderful music to them. Serve as their gateway!!  You did for me back in the day.  Tour, tour, tour and make friendly with everyone you encounter, especially other bands. A lot of comments I\'ve heard over the years are about smugness. Unfortunately it seems people think you act with a high level of entitlement. Be humble. Network and make lasting friendships with other growing bands. Look at Umphrey\'s and Bisco. You had a chance to form a relationship with both of them, but for some reason it didn\'t happen. Now they\'re talking about possibly doing a jamband type HORDE thing with Tea Leaf Meh and STS9. YOU SHOULD BE A PART OF THAT!!!  YOU DESERVE TO BE A PART OF THAT!!!  Put aside your ego and accept what is.  Don\'t take criticism personal, but listen and learn. You\'ve lost too many fans because of your often black and white attitudes.  
Make an album with a real producer in a real studio. Invest some money in a decent production.  Another criticism is your albums are all over the place.  Lets face it, you\'re a progressive rock band, not a shitty southern bar band (Tricky Ways).  Develop your art, market that image and watch as fans pour into your venues.  As much as you love being safe in New Haven County you have to realize that this band WILL NOT MAKE IT UNLESS YOU LEAVE IT!!! If you want to settle here when you\'ve made it, fine, that\'s wonderful, but this place is stagnant and unhealthy for your growth. You need to break the old patterns!!

Musically, besides unique covers, I\'d like to see you guys really concentrate on building themes in your improvisations.  You\'re starting to do it already with Matt ala Toad\'s "Overexposure". Ron is getting tighter and more confident in his playing, which hopefully will allow him to lay down and build on themes.  Other than that, get rid of some of the inconsistent, generic jamband stuff ie Phaddy, VT Song, Tricky Ways and a few more.... and bring back Kote.

Also, the new thing that will spread your music far and wide is SOUNDBOARD RECORDINGS THE NIGHT OF!! INSTANT LIVE!! UM lives!! Bisco boards... SCI on the road.. EVERYONE does it. Invest in a burner and blanks. Hire someone to handle this, you will make great money. Hook up with nugs.net... These shows will spread like wildfire and you know it.

Last thing.  The sideprojects, especially Timmy Tour, need to shrink to almost nothing if this band wants to make it. Too much effort goes into the wrong bands. No offense to any of them, but it\'s not The Breakfast and it takes away time that should be spent focusing on the band. This isn\'t to say that  sideprojects should be obliderated altogether, nope, just shrunken down a bit.. Hell, I\'m pretty sure at this point The Good Time Boys would bring in more of a crowd if they toured than tB would anyday....

3. I believe success is already on its way to this band- I\'m just not sure where it\'s coming from yet.  I want to hear stories of how you see this band getting the success that is coming to them.  (make up a story - how do you think it will happen - because we need ideas)  

Nice... Visualizing is the key to manifesting your sucesss!!  I see The Breakfast touring A LOT and sharing bills with notable names. I see them debuting huge epic, fusion/prog rock songs. I see them making new friends and disowning themselves from the fear of failure.  The band will start out this year by getting new management. Their manager will be just as ambitous as their new keyboardist.  The manager will use all of his connections to promote the shit out of this band, but promoting them with a more refined image.  The manager will take a large cut, but it\'s worth it, the growth is exponential.  The band gets booked opening for indie bands, some post rock, and also some notable progressive rock artists on small theater tours.  They impress the hell out of crowds in these new markets while penetrating the retarded jamband market. They realize their true audience isn\'t raucous, but rather introverted, intellectual and overall appreciative.  Soon a happy marriage will occur between the Wild Pack and the new fans.  At the end of Summer 08 they release a studio album with a fairly known producer.  They write all new material, which hasn\'t been debuted since Matt\'s joining. However since Matt\'s joining they\'ve debuted tons of new stuff. The band is saturating the audience with a new and expansive catalog. The new album is a shocker, and gets press. It\'s not huge, but it definetly turns some heads.....  Tour some more. Repeat until huge. There are bumps along the way, but those bumps make you stronger.

4. WE NEED HELP PROMOTING THE MIDWEST RUN TO CHICAGO, MINNESOTA, AND WISCONSIN(sept. 27-29)   ANY FANS FROM THOSE AREAS WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HELPING PLEASE EMAIL SPACEY At  spacefunk2001@hotmail.com   we can offer free tickets or whatever else we got at this point.  If you do a good job, who knows, maybe getting paid for it in the future when we make some money.   THIS IS ONLY A MONTH AWAY SO PLEASE RESPOND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!  

http://www.umphreaks.com  Make friendly with the Umphrey\'s fans and there you have it....  I may know a few in the Chicago area...

5. We are looking for any ideas for charities that we can have at the gigs.  I believe that if this band is going to have big success, we have to dedicate our efforts to a big cause.  I feel lucky to be able to play music with these guys and for great fans, I want to be able to pay back for that good fortune.  I want us as a community to be helping people all over the world as we play.  What are charities that are meaningful to you that we can help out by donating to at each gig?  

Have Tim donate his hair to locks of love......

Many many thanks,
matt o

No, THANK YOU, Matt "the Christ like Saviour of the Breakfast" Oestreicher!!!
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »
I have to agree with shelving VT and Phaddy

Rujah

• team digest
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:56 pm »
i don\'t have much to say that has not already been said. but if tim donates his hair to locks of love perhaps i will consider donating mine. although i am not sure what they can do with a bunch of nappy dreadlocks.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:37 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;156796
Also, the new thing that will spread your music far and wide is SOUNDBOARD RECORDINGS THE NIGHT OF!! INSTANT LIVE!! UM lives!! Bisco boards... SCI on the road.. EVERYONE does it. Invest in a burner and blanks. Hire someone to handle this, you will make great money. Hook up with nugs.net... These shows will spread like wildfire and you know it.

I would so buy these shits...

Quote from: Klout
I have to agree with shelving VT and Phaddy

ya the tricky ways was a cute song, but if I wanna hear 12 bar blues i\'ll listen to WCCC on sunday night, they\'ll play these blues bands that take the 12 bar and beat the ever livin\' out of them, on the radio!!
I\'d still bank on phaddy but def cash in VT...JMO...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:39:39 pm by Ant-Man »
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 12:08:19 am »
Quote from: TreyChica;156796
Hire someone to handle this, you will make great money. Hook up with nugs.net... These shows will spread like wildfire and you know it.

I will send you my resume. As of right now I am in need of a job. Taking this semester off somewhat, I\'m only taking one class and will be going for my masters in the Spring. Really does not have to be much, just enough where I can make a profit on my investment. I have a dvd/cd burner and will pay for all the blanks. I have done this before and would not be asking for money, but treychica said to hire someone and I am your man. If you want some references, just ask.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

peaches626

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:07 am »
Success in my mind, is the band being able to support themselves and crew on the bands\' income.  When this is happening, you can just keep touring all the time and I can come see shows all the time and lot\'s of people will have fun with me.  

I believe, Matt, that outside of your tremendous musical abilities, one of the most important aspects you bring to this band is quality stage presence.  I\'ve seen you at side shows where you absolutely got nuts and did handstands and stuff, and I\'ve seen you meditate and try to throw balls of newspaper in the hole in Adrians bass drum. At Breakfast shows it is always apparent that you are "getting down" and enjoying the musical experience.  I think it is obvious that Ron Spears enjoys your presence too, it seems as though he has been "getting down" more as of late. I think this is great.

That said, I guess somewhere deep down I\'ve always thought that the Breakfast could occasionally use something extra onstage to complement the amazing music that takes place each night.  Some people might scoff and think that a "gimic" or something of the sort, is lame and the music should stand for itself.  Let me just say, that the music DOES stand for itself, but for some people, some extra stage antic or decoration or crowd interactive thing makes for a more remarkable show/spectacle.  These things stick in people\'s minds and make them want to come back to see what else might happen, and also makes for awesome stories to give to people that have never seen the band.  I know for me, one of the coolest shows I\'ve seen the Breakfast put on was the Star Wars themed Freakout.  That shit was wild, with the big screen scrolling the story of buquebus and the episodes and all that.  Truthfully, it was my third ever breakfast show, and I\'m pretty sure I\'ve not yet seen any such spectacle take place at a Breakfast show since then.  This is one of the things that got me hooked! I heard about this band that had just played two nights of crazy music and covered a full album by a classic rock band as the middle set of each night.  You ser?  Then I go to this show and there\'s a big screen behind the stage and the band\'s covering the 20th Century Fox theme song, like I\'m actually watching the movie or something!?  That shit is awesome!

So I guess, I would like more inventive ideas to add to the spectacle of the show you put on.  For me, the music is ALWAYS first.  But for some people, they wanna play chess against the band.

Matt your doing great, keep up the positive energy.  you have no need to be nervous.  

It\'s a great time to be a Breakfast fan, folks.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 06:48:06 am »
Yes! To live instant soundboard recordings!

Yes! To almost never playing Tricky Ways!

No! To shelving VT Song and Phaddy Boom Baddy! I have heard some beautiful Vermont Songs in the past.... and Phaddy Boom Baddy definitely serves a purpose and let\'s face it most people who like The Breakfast like *****.

4-20 shows of course Phaddy should be played. Shred the hell out of it.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 09:08:59 am »
They realize their true audience isn\'t raucous, but rather introverted, intellectual and overall appreciative.

i think you\'re projecting a bit much there.... i\'m also not sure why everyone wants this band to bill them selves as more proggy. any new listener i hear from says that they are "too jammy". no mention is *ever* made of them being proggy at all. also, i see jamband festival, but i\'m not sure i\'ve heard of a single prog-rock festival. i\'d stick to where there\'s a built-in fan base rather paying money for shows than trying to get introverted intellectuals out of their houses in into gasp public!

that being said, i do think the chessy, 80\'s radio hits covers need to disappear, too. more obscure, turn some heads covers are a much better idea. as is the idea of building concepts within jams. takes its from wanky noodling to structured, directional themes. i do think that the band has been doing this much more lately than years ago, so i think its there, but needs to be more fully, intentionally developed.