Author Topic: VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!  (Read 9899 times)

Matt o

Hello lovely people of the Breakfast community,
I see THE BREAKFAST achieving lots of success in the next few years.  
we need help for this to happen.  Here is what this thread is for:

1. I want to hear what success for this band would look like to you
1. I want to hear reasons why you would like this to happen(if you would)  
2. I want to hear what you want from the band or what you want to see the band do(I guarantee we will not make everyone happy- but we will do our best)
3. I believe success is already on its way to this band- I\'m just not sure where it\'s coming from yet.  I want to hear stories of how you see this band getting the success that is coming to them.  (make up a story - how do you think it will happen - because we need ideas)  

MOST PRESSING:
4. WE NEED HELP PROMOTING THE MIDWEST RUN TO CHICAGO, MINNESOTA, AND WISCONSIN(sept. 27-29)   ANY FANS FROM THOSE AREAS WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HELPING PLEASE EMAIL SPACEY At  spacefunk2001@hotmail.com   we can offer free tickets or whatever else we got at this point.  If you do a good job, who knows, maybe getting paid for it in the future when we make some money.   THIS IS ONLY A MONTH AWAY SO PLEASE RESPOND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!  

5. We are looking for any ideas for charities that we can have at the gigs.  I believe that if this band is going to have big success, we have to dedicate our efforts to a big cause.  I feel lucky to be able to play music with these guys and for great fans, I want to be able to pay back for that good fortune.  I want us as a community to be helping people all over the world as we play.  What are charities that are meaningful to you that we can help out by donating to at each gig?  

Many many thanks,
matt o

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:08:20 pm »
I\'ve already PM\'ed Spacey about getting some fliers for Chicago, Madison and the CO run out to me in Utica, which I can spread to the right people at moe.down.

As far as what success would be to me, I dunno.  I guess building up some sort of buzz in other areas of the country(i.e. Midwest, Colorado, Southeast), getting some notice on major bills w/in the scene(larger festivals, opening gigs for larger acts, etc.).

Why I would like this to happen?  Cuz I\'ve been a fan of this band since 2001, and they have the talent and certain intangible qualities that  I appreciate, and would like other people to share in the enjoyment that the Breakfast bring me and so many other people around here.

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:48 pm »
Love/respect the initiative Mr. O....
Tho I don\'t have anything to bring to the table right now, I am sure this thread is going to blow up.
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »
Quote from: Matt o;156736
2. I want to hear reasons why you would like this to happen(if you would)  
3. I want to hear what you want from the band or what you want to see the band do(I guarantee we will not make everyone happy- but we will do our best)
4. I believe success is already on its way to this band- I\'m just not sure where it\'s coming from yet.  I want to hear stories of how you see this band getting the success that is coming to them.  (make up a story - how do you think it will happen - because we need ideas)  

MOST PRESSING:
5. WE NEED HELP PROMOTING THE MIDWEST RUN TO CHICAGO, MINNESOTA, AND WISCONSIN(sept. 27-29)   ANY FANS FROM THOSE AREAS WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HELPING PLEASE EMAIL SPACEY At  spacefunk2001@hotmail.com   we can offer free tickets or whatever else we got at this point.  If you do a good job, who knows, maybe getting paid for it in the future when we make some money.   THIS IS ONLY A MONTH AWAY SO PLEASE RESPOND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!  

6. We are looking for any ideas for charities that we can have at the gigs.  I believe that if this band is going to have big success, we have to dedicate our efforts to a big cause.  I feel lucky to be able to play music with these guys and for great fans, I want to be able to pay back for that good fortune.  I want us as a community to be helping people all over the world as we play.  What are charities that are meaningful to you that we can help out by donating to at each gig?  

Many many thanks,
matt o

1.Success for this band to me looks something like a band that tours nationally 2 -3 times or more a year, is able to fill it\'s home region venues to capacity or near capacity on a regular basis while releasing albums studio or live every couple years.

2. I would like to see this happen because I feel if someone is going to dedicate their life to a certain craft they should be able to make a successful living at it.

3. See 1

4. I see success coming to the band with increased visibility once national touring starts in earnest. To me it is just a matter of the right people seeing them.

5. There are midwest fans chomping at the bit to help out.

6.There have been food drives before at Breakfast shows I believe in conjunction with Strangers Helping Strangers.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

butters?

• lover of thine breakfest
    • http://www.myspace.com/areyouser
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:31:12 pm »
I would like to see any merch available online and any new stuff that comes out
Does Howdy Duty have wooden balls man?

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »
1.  What success looks like = you guys getting paid a decent wage for these shows.  Seeing you guys play packed larger venues.

1. Your the best band that no one has ever heard of.  

2. I\'d like to see 2 albums in the next 2 years.  1 live, 1 studio.  And I want a giant bowl of green M&M\'s waiting for me at every show.

3.  Tireless self promotion and a shitload of luck.

4. I\'ve got a list of Chicago, Moorhead & Madison college/ public radio stations.  I\'ll be contacting them next week when schools back in session.  Whether they want it or not, they\'re getting promo packs.

5. The Billy Fund

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:53:30 pm »
Hello lovely people of the Breakfast community,

Hey Matt.

Success for the Breakfast.... well lets not be silly and say top 40 singles on the Billboard charts ;)
But...
1. Playing Main Stages at major festivals around the country...
2. Being able to pull in as many people as bands like Umphreys McGee
3. (in Northampton, my home..)--> Playing Pearl St. Ballroom instead of Iron Horse. I honestly do not care if The Breakfast ever gets big enough to play The Calvin. I mean, shit, George Clinton plays the Ballroom!
4. Everyone in the band making enough $$$ and being happy enough to keep doing it for years and years.

On one hand I am selfish. I want you to succeed so you don\'t give up, so I can keep going to shows as long as I feel like it.

On the other hand I\'ve watched Psychedelic Breakfast evolve for the last 6 years and over that time I\'ve come to feel like this is "my band". I have sorta gotten to know the guys on and off the stage so I want what\'s best for them (and now you too Matt).

Not to mention Breakfast is the headiest music there is and many of their concets have left me totally speechless.

2. I want to hear what you want from the band or what you want to see the band do(I guarantee we will not make everyone happy- but we will do our best)

- Never stop jamming the hell out of songs. I go see Breakfast because I know its never going to be the same.
- Never move too far in any one musical direction... like "prog rock" or "livetronica" or "funk" or "blues" or whatever. The Breakfast is awesome because they can, and do, do it all!
- Produce a quality album! I want to hear The Breakfast\'s "Story of the Ghost". For the love of God get a different producer than whoever you had for Real Radio and Moxie Epoxy those albums made my Alpine stereo sound like crap.
- Quit playin\' Thursday nights WTF I need Friday and Saturday shows so do a lot of people
- Tim should play the Stratocaster more its tone is so much sweeter than the GibsonSG. Go tell him that for me ;)

3. I believe success is already on its way to this band- I\'m just not sure where it\'s coming from yet.  I want to hear stories of how you see this band getting the success that is coming to them.  (make up a story - how do you think it will happen - because we need ideas)  

It will happen just like every other jam-type-band gets successful. Touring, touring, touring, playing bigger and better festivals and getting into bigger and better venues.

The idea that The Breakfast is ever going to get a hit song on the radio and suddenly a bunch of prog-rock kids are going to show up en masse just doesn\'t seem realistic to me. The type of music you guys play is a hard sell, but its freakin awesome. And when it finally does sell you\'ll have some of the most loyal travelin fans you can imagine.

5. We are looking for any ideas for charities that we can have at the gigs.  I believe that if this band is going to have big success, we have to dedicate our efforts to a big cause.  I feel lucky to be able to play music with these guys and for great fans, I want to be able to pay back for that good fortune.  I want us as a community to be helping people all over the world as we play.  What are charities that are meaningful to you that we can help out by donating to at each gig?  

Maybe think about buddying up with Strangers Helping Strangers. This might also help you get some inroads to headlining fests like Wormfest which you should be doing this year but are not.

Good luck :disco:
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:30:18 pm »
1. Better venues to play in. (better acoustics, atmosphere etc) and more $ in your pockets
2. More enjoyable shows and music for me and others as well as you guys
3. I would like to eventually see the band touring with their own FOH setup for a more controlled musical experience as well a a more professionally run enterprise.

4. Most importantly. The band needs to get out and mingle and make contacts. They need to make contacts with other musicians and more importantly entrenched music promoters. Making connections with other musicians is key. It leads to Guest appearances which as we have seen just from Phanphest will also generate press and news blurbs. It also makes fans smile and adds a little something something to the music. It generates BUZZ. Like did you hear who sat in with the Breakfast last night or DAMN you guys should have been there when Matt O sat in with Particle or whatever. The promoters is the more difficult issue but if the band can start drawing good numbers consistently then they will hop right on board because they  know they can make $$$$$

5. I have no contacts in the mid west. However THG is on the road in the Mule Van at the moment. If you would like me to put you in touch with them I can do it. They originally wanted to book the bfast at Tobacco Road in NYC in the early days but Dave the owner booked them first and became "his" band so to speak. Not sure what kind of promo they can do at the moment but they are good people to know.

6. Strangers helping strangers is a good charity. they do food drives for canned goods all over the place. They have a good rep with the community and have the process down pat. Also for a more prestigious foundation there is the REX foundation which if I remember correctly was started by one of Phish\'s people. Dave and Paul were riding for many great causes as well this summer.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 05:59:08 pm »
id say packing northeast venues, mainstage sets at large festivals, a couple cross-country tours.....basically everything that has been said. in terms of charities, great and humble idea, but take care of yourselves first until you guys start doing all those things listed above.
great initiative matt
break it down, simplify

Matt o

Awesome Feedback So Far!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 06:05:22 pm »
thanks alot, keep it coming.  2 other things I forgot to mention.

1.  Moxie is on itunes now.  we need reviews of it up there.  anyone who feels like reviewing it please post a review.

2. we\'re getting out butts kicked in the jam cruise 6 texting department.  we have ALOT of catching up to do.  its easy.  text "rxbf" to the number 56658.  if relix starts sending you texts that you don\'t want just reply "stop" to them.  then they stop texting you.

thanks again,
matt o

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:11:15 pm »
First of all, matt, not sure if I\'ve posted a welcome elsewhere (bloody alzheimer\'s kicking in, no doubt !;)), but great to see you in the band - all three shows I\'ve heard prove you made the right choice!! Even better for those of us who\'ve been around a while (albeit over some distance for my part) to see such positive vibes coming from within the band, as well as from us mad lot.

As for my wishlist:

New album as a four piece would obviously be nice. But I do have to agree with some of the comments above re a producer. Much as I loved the material on the last two albums, the overall "sound colour" varied too much between tracks, with the result that a couple of songs sounded a bit "thin" compared to the live workouts.

Like everyone else, I think a measure of success would be to see you all making the decent living you deserve. It\'s going to mean hard touring and you\'re going to need a lucky break  -Camp BISCO might well have provided a leg-up. After that, maybe you can pick and choose your tours, either going out headlining, or if necessary with one of the acknowledged "big guns" (if they are not too afraid to be blown off the stage), just to get you more exposure.

And why do I want this? Simply because back in early 2003, pb restored my faith in "new" bands who could write and play great music. Up to then, all I really listened to was 60s psychedelia and phish, having long given up on the UK music scene. Someone had recommended the Biscuits as a follow on from the dead and phish, but while googling, I chanced on an article about jamband guitarists and timmy was mentioned. A few mp3s were downloaded and I was hooked. I like the biscuits a lot, but my breakfast related bootleg collection is second only in size to my Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship stash and given how highly I rate them, (ie I followed them round half the UK last autumn, catching 5 gigs in 6 days) that is one helluva compliment! Like PK and the gang\'s music, I can listen to breakfast tunes at any time - there are sooooo few bands who can just take you "there", to wherever that may be.

And one final request: COME TO THE UK!!! :)
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »
sell out MSG for NYE 2009 and give me front row tix..... that would be a good start anyway.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 06:49:09 pm »

:lol: whoa, trippy...

but seriously, folks....

what success would look like? ever enlarging national venues, ever enlarging crowds, ever enlarging band paychecks!! timmy tour being a nicety rather than a neccessity. main stages at festivals. lots of festivals. all over the country.

oh, and a whole tour bus just for the hookers and blow.

i would like this to happen because the band is capable of incredible things! the fact that the 05 puppethouse shows are going to be relatively unknown in the music world at large is a crying freaking shame! some of the most transcendent music was performed on those nights, but if you weren\'t there (or weren;t given the disc by someone who was) you\'d probably never know. the 4/9/05 uac show, same thing. hell, i could do this all day. what i\'ve heard of you\'re playing with this band, matt, has shown the potential for even higher levels of playing (you will have to learn how to release the build ups, but its coming, you can definitely tell you\'re well on your way to fully getting this style of mania!!) which will be even more of a shame to go unheard. jill and i have been to a bunch of same-ish level shows over the last two or so years and almost every time we walk away thinking, \'boy, do i wish that had been the breakfast instead.\' hell, i don\'t think jill has been satisfied with any show since the puppethouse, actually. the trio wasn\'t her thing, tea leaf green wasn\'t her thing, the umphrey\'s shows she\'s seen have all been duds, jazz is dead didn\'t do it for her and on and on....

the level of fun, excitement, musicianship, power and joy this band consistently puts out is unrivaled by their peers, almost to the band\'s detriment. some folks just can\'t take that much energy screaming at them for a whole show\'s worth (screw those people, by the way) but the maturity this band has grown to has added songs to the repetoire that aren\'t just silly or fast as hell, but that utilize a whole palette of musical color, textures and space. you used to recognize a lot more of timmy\'s (for instance) licks. you\'d hear him do something and think, \'oh, there\'s that cool run he likes\', but lately there has been much more exploration and almost, to me, an intentional forcing of himself to not play things he usually would. which has its effects on ron and adrian, who in turn affected him to try something new. the development just since i\'ve been seeing/listening to the band (03) is really pretty huge. and i think the tim as a three piece was pivotal in that. forced re-considerations, re-workings and re-thinkings. while it was probably not fun having to do those things, it was definitely for the best, imho. so now the band sits, poised... once you\'re fully in tune and familiar and this unit solidifies and brings its own idiosyncracies out, i think it would be criminal for all the band has learned, endured and taken to heart to go to waste.

well, that, and i think you guys deserve, you know, a tour bus full of hookers and blow.

i agree with the thought above about not going too far in any one musical direction, but pull from them all to create something unique. i think the band needs to have more tours scheduled more in advance. its great that fonghoulishfreakout has already been announced this year. next up, nye. keep that going. they\'re already pretty good at haveing \'occassion\' shows, so keep that tradition going, too! its nice to go to a show, but if its something even trivially special, it helps get the word out and attendance up.

one thing i *really* want to see the band do, is have a tour from festival to festival with weeknight gigs in between. i know that\'s easier said than done, but you get the name out at the festival and then get the stragglers or folks who couldn\'t make the fest out during the week. i would also like to see you guys on the road WAY more than you currently are. or have/had been. i\'ve sent out shows to folks and had them ask when the band will be nearby because they liked what they heard only to tell them, \'i dunno. you\'re in alabama, so maybe never?...\' not that there\'s a hot bed of alabaman fans out there, but as an example.

i\'d aso like some shared gigs, since you\'re asking. raq is making a bigger name for themselves right now than the breakfast, and there\'s no reason the breakfast couldn\'t be making at least the same waves. maybe do an alternating set tour with raq. or try something completely different. what about hooking up with a new/jamgrass band? the acoustic/electric tour. more notes than anytour else!

3. I believe success is already on its way to this band- I\'m just not sure where it\'s coming from yet. I want to hear stories of how you see this band getting the success that is coming to them. (make up a story - how do you think it will happen - because we need ideas)

the wives and girlfriends won\'t like it, but success in this genre is found on the road. i\'m a big fan of smaller bands and shows. i like the excitement and hunger they have. so i\'ve seen a bunch of bands over many years where it was me and a handful of other folks watching. did that suck for the band? probably, yeah. but the next time, when that handful of folks brought a couple friends each and maybe one of the bartenders told a couple regulars about a band he liked coming back, its still a small crowd, but they came back and now there\'s a couple more people. but if it took a year or nine months to get back, nobody remembers that first night\'s energy quite as clearly and maybe its drizzly out and even fewer folks than the first time show up.

new monsoon was here four times two or three years ago, twice within about a month and a half, and the next year they played the state theatre and was pretty damn full on a friday night. for a band from the other coast. that started out with their first show with literally 15 people, most of whom weren\'t actually there for the band, being played in some crappy restaurant that wouldn\'t allow taping and arbitarily ended their set at 11 after forty five minutes of playing. but they came back pretty soon nonetheless. and dc isn\'t even that great of an area for jambands. but they came back and now they play the nice place when they do.

you\'ll hear a lot about doozies on this board (its an incorrect usage, but this from group of freaks it makes sense...). the breakfast has historically played the shit out of a gig whether for 5 or 500. i think this shows up in the gigs for 500 the most. by always keeping the band at that level, when they are naturally at that level but get the energy from a bigger crowd, its a lot easier to translate that energy into a huge show. so play the shit out of a doozie. every night. every where.

i literally believe that to really get going, six months a year at least to begin with. how that\'s paid for, i don\'t know. perhaps find an investor? someone willing to take a chance to keep you guys in gas money until such time as 5% of show proceeds is a good deal for them.... again, easier said than done, i know.

MOST PRESSING:
4. WE NEED HELP PROMOTING THE MIDWEST RUN TO CHICAGO, MINNESOTA, AND WISCONSIN(sept. 27-29) ANY FANS FROM THOSE AREAS WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HELPING PLEASE EMAIL SPACEY

i\'ll ask around on some other boards and see what i can come up with. :)

5. We are looking for any ideas for charities that we can have at the gigs.

perhaps as gigs are booked in various cities, someone could research local charities. while i always bring canned goods for the panic fans for food gigs, for instance, i wouldn\'t care much if it was, like, the red cross, or something. maybe the salvation army (bring your old rags, get a ragtime boogie) or a charity that can be seen as fun. the breakfast for breast cancer gig would kinda be a downer, though a worthy cause. but i think that local charities or causes would be the best bet. hell, i\'ll help if need be.

i\'ve got blisters on me fingers!!!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
Rex Foundation was founded by the Grateful Dead.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 06:57:13 pm »
keep doing whatever is being done - it\'s working. just do it MORE. that is all.  ;)
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]