Author Topic: Setlist: 2007-08-12 - Gathering Of The Vibes; Bridgeport, CT  (Read 16707 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Setlist: 2007-08-12 - Gathering Of The Vibes; Bridgeport, CT
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:50 pm »
Holy shit I am alive!

GOTV2007 = Best Festival Ever --- best vacation ever --- -best time of my life!

Now I really have no idea what to do with the rest of my life. I might just crawl into a  hole with an alarm clock set for next years Vibes.

Anyway.... it was fun to see Breakfast again tho I was BEAT and BRAINDEAD by that point in the weekend I saw a few of you guys, I\'m not gonna lie, but I spent most of the show sitting in some shade across the road.

Matt sounded great for The Chase. Tim\'s guitar work in Honey Butter was some of the best I\'ve ever seen... in fact that may be my fav. Honeybutter to date. After that I had mixed feelings though. I found the keyboards in Rufus to make the song worse, not better. And then Tricky Ways was wasted time and Intension was played well especially Ron\'s sick bass rock-out but that song wasn\'t enough to get me back on my weary feet and go back to the sand.

Best shows of the weekend:
George Clinton and P-Funk ....... and Bob Weir and Ratdog

Anyway I\'ll def go see Breakfast again ;) .... I was kind of hoping Matt could add more ambiance to the band but as it seems he is more of a "lead keyboard" player.... ummmm.... well he was just too loud for me I could hear the keys way louder than the other instruments I hope they work that out somehow.

I think I\'m still feelin that white on white...
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 07:46:47 pm »
good times yesterday. i don\'t think i\'ve ever been more excited to hear the chase. honey butter and rufus were kind of standard...could have done without tricky ways..intension owned. anyhoo, great crowd, great atmosphere, good show overall. welcome aboard matt!!!!

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 07:58:27 pm »
I was pretty beat up by the time i made it down to the stage but really enjoyed Matts playing.

looking forward to the next few shows
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:50 pm »
You can not use this festival show as an indication of sound. They were using the festivals equipment, everything was back lined. Toad\'s Place will be the real test of what this quartet is capable of. Sure, its great to seem them at some festivals but an hour time slot is not enough time for them to open up and explore nor is it any indication of what they are going to sound like in a roof. There is promise from yesterdays show.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 08:12:19 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;155096
You can not use this festival show as an indication of sound. They were using the festivals equipment, everything was back lined. Toad\'s Place will be the real test of what this quartet is capable of. Sure, its great to seem them at some festivals but an hour time slot is not enough time for them to open up and explore nor is it any indication of what they are going to sound like in a roof. There is promise from yesterdays show.

There was promise from the moment Matt joined the band.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

bellbottomtear

• LLama LLover
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 09:23:39 pm »
Quote from: leith;155100

There was promise from the moment Matt joined the band.

COOL! yOU ARE RIGHT!:)BUT ITS always been COOL!

why did I do that? Im late for BlahBlah.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:27:42 pm by bellbottomtear »
"If it don\'t feel right you don\'t have to do it,
Just leave a message on the phone and tell them to screw it
After all is said and done you can\'t go pleasin\' everyone
So screw it"- John Lennon

Ren

• what?
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 09:41:33 pm »
It\'s ridiculous how some people could find fault with and over review a set where a new member makes his debut, but then with some of the things I\'ve seen these fans say, I\'m not surprised.  The Chase was finally it\'s old self again, with some really nice piano fills throughout might I add, and it made me smile a bit.  Honey Butter is one of their best songs, big fuckin\' deal that it didn\'t "own" anyone ever heard of adjusting or taking time to see where to best fit into a song bascially perfected by a trio, whatever.  I do have one small complaint and it probably isn\'t really a complaint in the traditional sense but, maybe not play Rufus every show, just a thought, yes I understand that it probably was used to build energy and to act as practice for Matt to get more used to the Breakfast style, I guess, even though he has played with them before, but to call it standard, yeah I guess it may have been to some but who cares.  Tricky ways never really did it for me ever, but maybe Matt can add some new or different personality to it.  Intension was fuckin\' crazy, sometimes it\'s a goddamn shame that it has to even end at all after it builds and builds to a frenzy.  Overall, great time and worth the couple miles we had to walk, thanks to peaches, lexington (whose name I don\'t know) and sallyalli and your friend for being there at the exact right time, cuz after a really looooooooong hot ass walk and being told by security guy that the band "lied to you guys" when I was told it was free, I kinda almost freaked a little, so thanks again, cuz we couldn\'t have shown up more perfectly timed, good shit guys!  Can\'t wait to see a full 2 set show and I\'m really looking forward to what the future hold for this wonderful band.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:44:36 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 09:44:52 pm »
semingly mixed reviews :idunno:

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:45 pm »
Quote from: Ren;155110
It\'s ridiculous how some people could find fault with and over review a set where a new member makes his debut, but then with some of the things I\'ve seen these fans say, I\'m not surprised.

yeah fo\' sho

The Chase was finally it\'s old self again, with some really nice piano fills throughout might I add, and it made me smile a bit.  Honey Butter is one of their best songs, big fuckin\' deal that it didn\'t "own" anyone ever heard of adjusting or taking time to see where to best fit into a song bascially perfected by a trio, whatever.  I do have one small complaint and it probably isn\'t really a complaint in the traditional sense but, maybe not play Rufus every show, just a thought, yes I understand that it probably was used to build energy and to act as practice for Matt to get more used to the Breakfast style, I guess, even though he has played with them before, but to call it standard, yeah I guess it may have been to some but who cares.  Tricky ways never really did it for me ever, but maybe Matt can add some new or different personality to it.  Intension was fuckin\' crazy, sometimes it\'s a goddamn shame that it has to even end at all after it builds and builds to a frenzy.

say what? :confused:

For the record Honey Butter ruled and was by far the best part of the show. Normally I don\'t even like this song that much.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

TeddyT

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 11:16:55 pm »

Where do I begin? Crowd was by far the the biggest turnout I saw all day in the Free Solar Stage. I like the new keyboard intro to The Chase, sounds a little dark and eirie ala Eddie Palmieri improvisation. Unfortunately, there where some technical sound issues beyond Matts control during the rest of The Chase which made the keyboards sound really loud and distorted. Problem got fixed at the end of the song, but my right ear was a little deaf for the remainder of the show. Seeing that this was Matt\'s debut as the new member of The Breakfast, I like the energy and vibe that he brings to the table on and off the stage. I\'m definitely looking forward to Toad\'s on the 23rd and getting a longer dose of the new B\'fast quartet.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 11:16:58 am »
Quote from: FieryBill;155039
Matt sounded awesome.... I\'m so pumped for future shows! They sounded great.

Quote from: zuke583;155071
matt was kind of tough to hear at some points, but that\'s to be expected...they did show a lot of potential though

Quote from: bdfreetuna;155089
I was kind of hoping Matt could add more ambiance to the band but as it seems he is more of a "lead keyboard" player.... ummmm.... well he was just too loud for me I could hear the keys way louder than the other instruments I hope they work that out somehow.

:hscratch: wait, what?!

Quote from: Klout;155111
semingly mixed reviews :idunno:

:that:  :confused: It\'s funny how people have whined about having keys, and now at the first show, they\'re super critical of them.  ;)  Eiher way, I had a great time at the show & didn\'t notice any sound glitches or imperfections - it was fun to be just dancing around on the beach listening to awesome tunes.  See ya at Toad\'s Place!!! :disco:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

peaches626

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 11:31:11 am »
ya, i dont know what tuna\'s talkin about... i thought the keys were wicked quiet throughout most of the show, but maybe we were just at different places, i dunno

anyhoo, i thought the band was tight as hell, but chadwick\'s seen better days. ronnie spears was funky as hell in chase and intension fuckin roooocked
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:07 pm »
A wise man once told me that your state of mind at a show is often more important than the state of the music. It\'s hard to be brought to your feet by anything at all after a few days of brain-fry.

Over the years I have realized how little attention people pay to sound quality (in general) and their position in the crowd which drastically changes their \'filter\' for the music. There are times I\'m content staying in one spot, but most often I\'m relentless in finding that glorious window where your ears feel hooked up with every member in the band. It\'s like listening to a shitty recording of Over Exposure in a Chevy Tracker when BAM! you\'re suddenly in the middle of a Bose showroom with Moxie Epoxy\'s version pumping from every felt covered box of magic. That moment when all is heard is like Campbell\'s Soup for an 8-year old on a frozen February evening.

I\'m licking my chops for their Chicago arrival.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:13:07 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 12:27:27 pm »
This show kicked ass beginning to end, Matt has immediately brought this band to another level, and given the level they were at, that is sayin\' something.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 12:28:04 pm »
Tricky ways never really did it for me ever, but maybe Matt can add some new or different personality to it.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke