Author Topic: Setlist: 2007-07-27 - Camp Barefoot; Gore, VA  (Read 14777 times)

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
Setlist: 2007-07-27 - Camp Barefoot; Gore, VA
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:20:44 am »
psuedo setlist: (I can\'t promise total  accuracy) (last 3 piece show)

Jam> Inner Glimpse, Psygn, Tricky Ways, Great Big Fiery Ball in the Sky> Overexposure, Spunk> Question> Spunk, Tunage

great fuckin show, Overexposure was a MONSTER! JKing came up to me afterwords and said "when did they get that good?"  Question brought me tears.  The crowd really ate everything up, and prob had the best crowd of the weekend.  Also Tim sat in with Garaj Mahal and things just got silly.  More later....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:08:05 am by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:44:04 am »
sorry i had to bail saturday. my crohn\'s has been acting up all week and i wasn\'t sure i was gonna be able to make it at all. saturday morning it told me i had had enough. it was great meeting lex and sallieallie and of course great seeing todd, robyn and meester mandler once again!

ok, the opening jam was nice, inner glimpse was rockin\', but a whole new world opened up with psygn. dark, dissonant, and HUGE! someone behind me muttered, \'damn, that won\'t like anyone else so far!!!\' and dude was only barely scratching the sheer badassery that was displayed!! fewer notes than dischordant sound washes set up a deep, mean jam. soooo good!

tricky ways was real nice, but i decided that for that song (which i like) to *really* go over the top, its up to ron. he did some turn-around right at the beginning which i wish he could have kept up. its played as a straight up blue bassline, simple and out of the way. but i think if he funks it up a but it\'ll just take off with a new life all it own. that being said, great version that was almost like a palate cleanser after that dirty, dirty osygn. the crowd was fully into the band by the end.

gbfbits stated off like they all do, but it ended and all i could think was that the jam would fit brilliantly at, say, camp bisco. and while i don\'t usually care for electronica-ish jams, this one really grabbed me! probably because, unlike so many of the bands playing in this style, they don\'t just get a repetitive riff going and exhaust it. the kept the pulsing and throbbing rhthym  without being redundant. huge, out-there jam that slyly ended up rolling into the opening of overexposure.

like, me! said, i was simply STUNNED by how good overexposure was!!! truly a whole new level of three piece insanity. frankly, by the end of OE, i was finally totally comforable with the thought of them as a tri for ever. i felt like they had completely figured out how to be huge and hole-less in their playing, just the three of them. afterwards ron said something to the effect of (after telling him my above thoughts) it being the last trio show, they played it as such! i really wish i had better words for OE, though. i said someting to gencs about the fact that he\'s about to get a lot busier if they keep playing like that! a LOT busier! (eat it naysayers!)

at some point in there, timmy announced that it was the last three piece show, said thanks to them and then hugged his keyboards. todd\'s got a great pic of it, too!

spunk>question>spunk was killer, too! it was funny seeing all these people recognizing the question, knowing a line of lyrics, even, but having no idea whatsoever what the hell song it actually was! :lol: i actually forgot that spunk was coming back around, so when it did, i whoo hoo\'ed so hard i blew out my vocal cords. still raspy today, even.

and then the \'rare\' un-interrupted tunage which was, can you guess? awesomely badass. you could hear the cheers coming out of the treeline, not to mention that the entire dancing area was full of folks, all of whom were really into it! i would say that the boys definitely converted a few folks that night! it was easily the best trio show i\'ve seen, and frankly, it\'d put the energy, new approaches and ferocity up there with the best shows ever. not saying that this show was necessarily the best ever, but it certainly had best ever elements!

oh yeah, then there was tim\'s sit in! :lol: :lol: :lol:
first off, watching the whole band stare raptly at garaj was great. they\'re so tight and talented and the breakfast boys were devouring it. but then it was time for tim to join in. oh dear god. he started off gently, seeingwhat he could play and what would be too much. well, with those musicians, nothing was too much and soon enough he was all over the fretboard, bouncing back and forth with Fareed Haque which ended in a guitar duet, trading licks back and forth, just the two of them. the rest of the band finally came back in and the tempo picked up (hell, timmy actually double timed the tempo and got the band going). then he turned around to the keys  player who literally didn\'t even bother to try to keep up with him. it was great. and being up on the rail, watching those two guys\' fingers going.... amazing!!!

we gotta keep an eye out for these recordings. they are definitely gonna be worth finding!!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:49:44 am »
Nice review jking, i appreciate it. i wish i could have made it. i hope some sort of recording comes out and i will end this on

TUNAGE= 07\' ToT Champ
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
I: jam > Inner Glimpse, Psygn, Tricky Ways, Great Big Fiery Ball In The Sky > Over Exposure, Spunk > Question > Spunk, Tunage

An announcement was made that this would be the band\'s final show as a three-piece.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:19 am »
This is probably a stupid question, but if this was a the last Trio show and the artwork for the Toad\'s show the just went out states that it\'s the first show with Matt, is the Camp Bisco show happening?  Maybe I\'m confusing myself.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:12 am »
Quote from: Yoda;153539
This is probably a stupid question, but if this was a the last Trio show and the artwork for the Toad\'s show the just went out states that it\'s the first show with Matt, is the Camp Bisco show happening?  Maybe I\'m confusing myself.

Creative marketing my friend. plus this will be the first 2 set, non-festival show with Matt. thus my reasoning. plus the majority of people won\'t be at GOTV or Camp Bisco. Gotta build the hype. a good turn out will reflect well on the band and better the chance of getting this years FFO there. so i urge you guys to help make this one a solid one.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:42:54 am »
well, its pretty much all been said at this point.  the tpalms garaj mahal sit-in was pretty much too sick to describe. it was... well, it was kinda like... yea, way too sick.fiery ball jam hinted at the future of rock and roll, overexposure hinted at the future of the world (a fiery amageddon of serness).  the question to end all questions, and a spunk that left me feeling, well a little bit moist.
jking, it was great meeting you and your freebird story remains the best ever.  i\'m pretty sure the barefoot boys told the bfast that they are def playing 2 nights next year, so get ready
caress me, aunt jemima

deevahgrl

• choose your vice
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:15:04 pm »
Quote from: Lexington;153541
fiery ball jam hinted at the future of rock and roll, overexposure hinted at the future of the world (a fiery amageddon of serness).

Lexington: For these words alone, you are now my hero.  I believe YOU could be a fiery armageddon of serness.  
:coolban:
We breathe deep in a steam dream, and plunge below the water line...Down, down, down between beams, to the gloom room among the sea**** and the slime...Melt...

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »
Quote from: derickw;153515

TUNAGE= 07\' ToT Champ

thats what I say but other on you "Team Gladys" are holding true to Gladys.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 01:12:15 pm »
did anyone tape this garaj mahal palmeiri shit, garaj mahal is my fav band

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 01:25:26 pm »
wow, I\'m out of the loop. last show as a trio? some guy named matt? keyboards I\'m guessing? toads show?

< :?:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:03:36 pm »
spunk, i saw tapers, so i have to imagine that they\'ll show up at some point. there were also videographers, but the one i knew was faaar too gone to keep at it much past halfway through the band before the breakfast\'s set. don\'t knopw if they were for all/most bands, or just the burnin\' smyrnans.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 02:07:41 pm »
btw: lexi, you were right on the gemtlemen\'s bet
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 02:13:11 pm »
Paul -
It looks like that guy Matt that sat in with them during two shows will take over the keys.  That\'s what the rumor mill is spouting and by the looks of the Toads artwork, it\'s a done deal.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 02:28:43 pm »
I would assume the announcement of the last trio show is even to confirm this rumor for all of you. Now get out to a show and see them live!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.