Author Topic: Jerry Garcia Biopic in the works  (Read 3345 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Jerry Garcia Biopic in the works
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:10 pm »
nay nay nay fuckin\' nay!  I\'ve loved the music of Jer for decades, the man can still bring tears to my eyes.

If a talented director, writer(s), and actors get together to make a movie for the right reasons (ie tell a great story about a deeply flawed ICON) I\'m all fuckin\' for it.

I think Jer lived an incredible life, worth sharing.  And I think all you naysayers need to shut up (until we all realize that the production company is half assin\' it like the Hendrix movie then we can all sit around complainin\' about how Hollywood is a horrible machine that doesn\'t know what the fuck they\'re doin\'.).

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 05:58:05 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;211964
... (until we all realize that the production company is half assin\' it like the Hendrix movie then we can all sit around complainin\' about how Hollywood is a horrible machine that doesn\'t know what the fuck they\'re doin\'.).

That\'s exactly what we\'re fearful of.

Much as I would love more people to know of Jerry\'s talent, if they screw it up and create some Hollywood facsimile of his life and the era, then it\'ll be the movie they associate with his name rather than the music. It\'s this worry which makes me sceptical of any movie which tries to tell the story of icons like, Jerry, Jimi, Janis, Jim, any of whom , as you say, were flawed icons.

If you want to find out about the people behind the music, read a book and make up your own minds - don\'t let Hollywood pick up on the sensational aspects of their lives and present the usual 2d version.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 07:42:46 am »
But I love movies and rock stars, it\'s like a peanut butter cup.  2 great things that taste great together.  

Just off the top of my head, I can think of 3 very well done movies about famous musicians:  The Doors, Ray & Walk the Line.  Sure I can also think of horrible movies made about Hendrix, and that "made for tv" garbage about the beatles.  

But why automatically assume it\'s gonna be bad?

As far as this:  
Get some professional actor who hasn\'t done anything that anyone would know him for to play Jerry.

Look at the successful musician biopics vs. the one\'s that never should have been made.  What\'s the most obvious difference?  The good one\'s contained pretty decent stars.  Having nobody\'s in this movie will be a huge indicator of the quality you can expect.

Quote from: boombox;211968
It\'s this worry which makes me sceptical of any movie which tries to tell the story of icons like, Jerry, Jimi, Janis, Jim, any of whom , as you say, were flawed icons.

Jim Morrison & Ray Charles were both junkies.  Hollywood did a great job telling their story.

Quote from: boombox;211968
If you want to find out about the people behind the music, read a book and make up your own minds - don\'t let Hollywood pick up on the sensational aspects of their lives and present the usual 2d version.

I\'m all for reading, and I really enjoyed "Long Strange Trip".  But I also love the art of film.  Seeing what really talented people can do with a movie is a magical experience for me.

I look forward to this movie.  I hope it comes together, it\'s done well and I hope it gets released.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:19:12 am by SlimPickens »

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:42 am »
^^ yeah that...you tell em slim!
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 10:13:21 am »
Just thought of another FANTASTIC movie about a deeply flawed rock star junkie:  Sid and Nancy.  Awesome movie, although this one ruins my theory about needing a big star.  Nobody knew who Gary Oldman was before he played Sid Vicious (it was only his 6th movie).  But they sure knew him after, that movie launched his career.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:17:26 am by SlimPickens »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:01 am »
I will say if mountain girl is involved then perhaps it could be good. Surprised she isn\'t taking heat from koons
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

tyzack

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:52 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;211999
I will say if mountain girl is involved then perhaps it could be good. Surprised she isn\'t taking heat from koons

i would say that if mountain girl is involved it would be good, bordering on legit.

speaking of rock-based movies, was control any good?
(xposted)
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »
the doors movie was not good.  even the doors said they thought it was shitty

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »
That movie did suck. I hated the doors twice as much after watching it.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »
I agree. Horrible movie. I felt like the only side of JM that they really portrayed was the waste-azoid side.
Masturbation in the MFA

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 10:35:46 am »
I liked "The Doors"

The cinematography was awesome in that movie. I also like Val Kilmer so there you go. Good music, decent "story" and good cinematography. It was entertaining. Far from a documentary but that is what you get with Oliver Stone
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:47 am »
i liked the doors movie as well.....maybe more than i liked the doors.