Author Topic: Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...  (Read 1804 times)

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:13:37 am »
Talking about the Biscuits on the other thread with Joe last night I came up with the idea of trying to corrupt any brave soul that will indulge me.  If you listen to the shows I will be linking, you will either learn to love the greatest band on the planet or you will stop coming to this thread;)  Either way, give the music a chance i will put out some great ones spanning all eras of Bisco, outside of the first 2 years, when they were still generic jamband wankery.  I know some of you will hate on this, I have come to accept this fact, but I also know there are some Breakfast fans that like music other than the Breakfast;)

Here is the first installment:

10/22/99 Georgia Theatre
Set I: Plan B, Mr. Don > Bazaar Escape, Run Like Hell

Set II: Svenghali, Above The Waves > Pygmy Twylyte > Above The Waves, M.E.M.P.H.I.S. > Jigsaw Earth

Encore: Afro Blue

I am starting with a show that first really got me into this band after recieving it in trade for some Phish discs I had back in December of 1999.  This is fairly agreed upon as a Top 10 alltime Biscuit show by a majority(doesn\'t happen much) of fans.  The First set is very good, but is definitely highlighted by a 35 minute mind-fuck of Run Like Hell.  It is by far, one of the best versions of this Floyd cover the Biscuits have EVER done, and really defines what the Biscuit fans mean when they say "patient" jams.  It really is otherworldly.

Which was not lost on Jon, as he starts set II with some of the coolest(or funniest) banter I have heard from him.  The Svenghali is another of those moments of pure Bisco, that this band locked into so much during this month in their history.  The Waves->Pygmy->Waves is spectacular, with segues as smooth as silk.  Also, with so many Zappa fans on this board, I am curious to hear feelings on the Biscuits take.  M.E.M.P.H.I.S.->Jigsaw is a fantastic way to close this monumental set in the bands history.  It shows the swagger and attitude that the young and angry(at each other, mostly) band had at this time.  

The entire show is all about patient builds and thematic jamming used in such a way as to evoke joy, fear, anger, sadness and happiness all in a span of a few hours.  Really one of the best all around examples of what The Disco Biscuits were toying with at this time.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:42:03 am by WALSH »
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:10 am »
Great thread Walsh. I look forward to your picks!!
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:01:54 am »
I\'ll be grabbing a couple of these. i have some stuff from 04 thats alright but nothing has really caught me up as a fan yet
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:07:32 pm »
I\'d listen if I knew what friggin format to clink on. heh.

I haven\'t downloaded anything in like 2 years, and nothing since I got this mac. I have no software for audio stuff, and don\'t even know what I would need.
Masturbation in the MFA

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:12:55 pm »
^ the show is being streamed towards the top so you dont have to download it to hear it
Smell my mule.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:15:51 pm »
Ah. Thx.
Masturbation in the MFA

WALSH

• Mahoney
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
For this show(there will be 5 today), we jump ahead to 12/30/2001.  Still to this day, one of the best Biscuit shows I have been to.  The insanity that is this nights 2nd set was only surpassed by the 3 1/2 drive home from Philly on a head full of liquid(but that is a story for another time).

12/30/2001 Electric Factory
I: Pilin\' It High, Magellan-> Floes-> Sound1-> Floes-> Shem-Rah Boo-> Magellan

II: Svenghali, Triumph-> King of the World-> Pygmy Twylyte-> Dance of the Sugar Plum Faries-> Pygmy Twylyte-> And The Ladies Were The Rest of The Night, Home Again

E: Spy, Mulberry\'s Dream

This show is a tale of two bands.  It amazes me to this day how a band can go from an amazing rock & Roll outfit in set one with blistering segues and intricate compositions; to an all out electronic monster in set II.  \'Pilin\' is definitely just the warm up for this monster of a set.  The real fun begins with my favorite Biscuit song Magellan and continues through a labyrinth of music that gives me chills upon every listen.  The highlight being the jam from \'Floes\' into Sound 1 and the Shem Rah.  I absolutely love the slow reprise of Magellan after such a long journey, perfect execution of a setlist.  There is also a Jessica tease in there to make everyone realize, this is the rock part of tonight\'s show.

Coincidentally, this 2nd set starts out with a Svenghali also...yet this one is MUCH darker with insane drum n\' bass throughout the jam.  At this point in the night, i knew something special was going on.  What follow is still one of the greatest hours or so of music I think I have ever heard this band play while i was in attendence.  It really is not able to be put into words...there is just too much going on.  I did feel like the E-Factory was no longer on the ground at one point(I think it was during the jam from Triumph into KOTW)...we had been lifted out of the Philly area and transported to a place where time and reasobn no longer existed.  Again placement of the closer was perfect.  As the E-Factory slowly returned to Callowhill St, Home Again made it feel safe.  

The encore really is an afterthought to this show and I rarely listen.  If you still burn to disc you can just throw the encore and the very first song of the first set on a disc and file it away...unless you aren\'t a completist, then you can just skip those.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:37:43 pm by WALSH »

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:20:49 pm »
Bah. I\'m never going to get a chance to sit down and listen to them all streaming. I need to download them. Help?

It really is about time that I get the stuff on my computer that I need for downloading/decompressing etc... It\'s getting pretty annoying to not be able to do anything with this stupid box.
Masturbation in the MFA

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »
Download the VBRzip files.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:03:39 pm »
ok. Thanks!
Masturbation in the MFA

WALSH

• Mahoney
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:11:55 pm »
Here goes number three.  This brings us another couple years into the future, for a one-setter at the Biscuits first appearance at Jam on the River in Philly.  One of the main reasons for putting up this one, on top of this being an amazing festival set, is that it very well could be the best recording of this band by a taper EVER!  I was also in attendance for this beautiful night.  Don\'t worry, I will not only put things i have seen down(I have just seen a BUNCH of great shows by these guys).

5/26/2003 Jam On The River
I: Jigsaw Earth, Morph Dusseldorf, World is Spinning, Digital Buddha > Sound 1 > Digital Buddha, Kitchen Mitts > Basis for a Day*, 42

E. Story of the World

*ending only.

This show gets right out of the gates with a fairly standard opener in Jigsaw Earth.  It has a really nice opening and once they get into the 1st jam you can really tell that they are on.  Very tight and pushing the pace on a song that had been growing a little stale in the months prior.  It is a sort of half composed/half improv section that really gets the crowd going.  

Next is the highlight of the show, and definitely one of the highlights of the year actually.  Morph Dusseldorph is unleashed and played better than I have EVER heard it.  Even on PT Bisco, there is a consensus that this is one of, if not THE, best versions of this song.  The jam they get into is so unreal it almost seems composed.  At this point the energy was already out of control and it would never subside.

World is Spinning is still a short song at this point(lately they have begun jamming it out a little), but it is a good rocker and serves a small slice of normalcy after the onslaught of the first two songs.  

The second highlight of the night is the Buddha->Sound 1->Buddha sandwich that comes next.  The segue into Sound 1 is FLAWLESS and at the time really caught me off guard.  The rallying climax into the end of Buddha is HUGE and shows the true POWER of this band when they are firing on all cylinders(which in this year of 2003 wasn\'t all the time, one starts to wonder if Jon wasn\'t telling the truth that they actually practiced for this show;))

Next up is (at the time) a relatively new song that had just begun getting jammed out, Kitchen Mitts.  This is a solid version that builds to an all out FRENZY at the end, with Jon and Marc literally jumping up and down while playing(not ala Phish where it was planned).  Definitely was the highpoint energy wise in the set from the crowd as a few began to pick up on where the jam was headed.  As the jam unfolded it became more and more obvious that all hell was about to break loose as the epicenter of all things BISCO was about to drop.  BASIS FOR A DAY!!!  Think YEM, Dark Star, Scheme, etc. and you get the point.  There are a few fans of the Biscuits that could probably write a thesis on versions of Basis alone.  Today it was to only be the ending climax of the beast, but OH, what ta climax it is.  I will admit Basis gets a little sloppy before the pause, Barber goes a little overboard and has to shave down the breakdown he usually does, but hell...he was on FIYA!

\'42\' is a solid version, but is somewhat over shadowed by what had come before it, still has an outlandishly dark feel to it, that fit in perfectly with the night sky that had by now fallen.

the final highlight of the day/night was the encore.  Story of the World is definitely a fan favorite and this was one of the first of a few tranced out versions this year.  Also check out the one from the night before T-Giving with Jaime Shields of the New Deal, hot shit.  This version gave the crowd one last time to rage before heading home.

What a night, what a show.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:26:12 pm by WALSH »

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 01:36:55 pm »
Geez man, did I trigger your inner Bisco deemster receptor last night?

WALSH

• Mahoney
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 01:48:27 pm »
HAHA, no I have just been REALLY getting into them again lately, as far as older shows, because of how good some of the new stuff has been.  I always have to keep trying to get some of these freaks on my side for the Boscoes.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »
just finished the 2003-05-26 Morph Dusseldorf and its fantastic. def one of my fav older songs. after skimming through their setlist database i dont think ive seen them since \'02. i played the shit out of their uncivilized area cd back in the day but i lost it sometime during college. ill give the rest of this show a listen.
Smell my mule.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Walsh\'s Weekly Bisco...
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:13 pm »
Quote from: WALSH;151862
HAHA, no I have just been REALLY getting into them again lately, as far as older shows, because of how good some of the new stuff has been.  I always have to keep trying to get some of these freaks on my side for the Boscoes.

It\'s funny man. I\'ve totally moved away from jambands. I no longer listen to Umphrey\'s, who I thought were going to fill the Phish void for me.  Breakfast, love them unconditonally, but ya know. Bisco always makes me feel on top of the world. I may have nothing in common with their personalities and fanbase, but shit, they really are tapped into some potent creative energy. Do you have I-Tunes and WinRAR?  If so i want to hook you up with some Biscoesque stuff....