Author Topic: Who\'s in charge here?  (Read 3275 times)

bigmtskier

Who\'s in charge here?
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:48:31 am »
who puts the shows on the LMA? DAAAAAAVE?  the last one, most recent, is from 10/27; sure wish there were some December shows on the archive; mp3 style.  Please.  steve in montana

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
Well, I\'m not, but just as a courteously, the tapers bust there asses (for free) to get this material out there to us all. This doesn\'t just mean taping the show, then they have to mix it, break up the tracks, convert it to flac, etc, etc and then use their bandwidth to upload the show until other seeders can latch on, by which time they are probably working on another show. The person \'in charge\' is the taper who records that particular show.

That being said, ANYONE can upload to archive. Go create an account, download a torrent of a show and upload the flacs, checksum and text file to archive yourself. Archive will make the mp3s themselves once the flacs are up. As long as you give credit to the taper, everything is fine. The just announce it here. Chrisf just mentioned all of this in one of the announce threads.

In other words, rather than complaining about others not doing things fast enough for you for free, try offering to help out. See how much work goes into it so you understand everything they are doing for you.

Sorry, didn\'t mean to call you out specifically, but a LOT of work goes into getting all this material out there for FREE, and it annoys the hell out of me when people complain that it is not fast enough for them.

And on a side note, I\'m still sitting on the 1000th show dvd. It makes a nice doorstop. :banghead:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:02 am »
Zappa i think his problem is he can\'t download the files because they are too large and take to long. he just wants to listen to the shows and be able to download them with a slower connection.... not everyone in the word has a T1 connection. i don\'t even have a phone line at my place, the only time i can get online is at work.

bigmt. what shows are you looking for?

Quote from: FrankZappa;131338
Well, I\'m not, but just as a courteously, the tapers bust there asses (for free) to get this material out there to us all. This doesn\'t just mean taping the show, then they have to mix it, break up the tracks, convert it to flac, etc, etc and then use their bandwidth to upload the show until other seeders can latch on, by which time they are probably working on another show. The person \'in charge\' is the taper who records that particular show.

That being said, ANYONE can upload to archive. Go create an account, download a torrent of a show and upload the flacs, checksum and text file to archive yourself. Archive will make the mp3s themselves once the flacs are up. As long as you give credit to the taper, everything is fine. The just announce it here. Chrisf just mentioned all of this in one of the announce threads.

In other words, rather than complaining about others not doing things fast enough for you for free, try offering to help out. See how much work goes into it so you understand everything they are doing for you.

Sorry, didn\'t mean to call you out specifically, but a LOT of work goes into getting all this material out there for FREE, and it annoys the hell out of me when people complain that it is not fast enough for them.

And on a side note, I\'m still sitting on the 1000th show dvd. It makes a nice doorstop. :banghead:
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:32:46 am »
yea, like I said, I wasn\'t coming down on him specifically but I just wanted to point out that anyone can do the archives uploads.

As for you and your phone:

"We\'ll soon stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush! "
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:13:13 am »
Well there were only 7 shows according to the calendar in the month of December. Not sure how many of them were actually taped.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:37:32 pm »

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:44:46 pm »
i would guess that most if not all the shows in december were taped.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:33:18 pm »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 04:49:02 pm »
I love the archive and wish I could get all my shows in MP3 format from there, but I\'ll take whatever I can get.

FLACs are huge and BT for Breakfast shows is slow....

but I\'ll take whatever I can get.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:51:24 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;131384
I love the archive and wish I could get all my shows in MP3 format from there, but I\'ll take whatever I can get.

FLACs are huge and BT for Breakfast shows is slow....

but I\'ll take whatever I can get.

you should get a faster connection
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

SkyePrizm

• separator
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 04:58:49 pm »
I just have to say...I was highly amused by the subject line.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 09:47:12 am »

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:44 am »
nice job derick. :thumbsup:

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
Who\'s in charge here?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 09:57:08 am »
:disco: :bounce2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Quote from: FrankZappa;131451
nice job derick. :thumbsup:

:disco: :bounce2:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.