Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Anticipation Thread [SPOILERS]  (Read 6178 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Disclaimer: Anthony Bachinski is a very big fan and follower of the Harry Potter book and movie series. He tends to be extremely critical with his thoughts of the movies, and views them with the understanding that the movies will not be as good as the books, it is nearly impossible to capture hundreds upon hundreds of pages into two and a half hours. It usually takes more than two viewings of the movie to begin to remember the above.

My one word review if you have read the books: Terrible.
My one word review if you have not read the books and have only followed the movies: Okay.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

thatguy

ouch...

peaches626

still can\'t wait to see this, regardless of antbach-humbug\'s review
taints rule, gypsies drool!

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
Hmm, not sure exactly what to think. Ant certainly has a point with his statement. Although i wouldnt go as far as terrible, it certainly pales in comparision to the last 3 movies. This was supposed to be epic, and it turned out to be cheeky romantic humor for 2 hrs with 30 min of coolness thrown in.  I dont understand why they went this route, but dissapointed i am nonetheless.
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
oh no !   are you guys ser ? !  i dont see how it can be THAT  bad the book was fuckin epic.     :caught in a pickle:
*Gia*

spance

• ride
    • http://
there was definitely alot of stuff left out but that happens with every book turned movie. i didn\'t go back and re-read it but i did watch Order of the Phoenix the other day and IMO this one was just as good, if not better.

i didn\'t like the performance by the actress who played dolores umbridge in the last movie and in my eyes that movie suffered mightily for it (atleast untill the final few scenes).

...i\'m gonna read HBP again to see how bad this movie really was.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:50:18 am by spance »
I\'m gonna break the speed of sound with my silver bullet!!

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
I hope you haters are wrong cuz I have been looking forward to this movie for a while

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
Im not hating. After sleeping on it, id say i enjoyed it. Just saying it could have been so much better.
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

peaches626

i dug it. didnt do any refreshing prior so i had forgotten a bit of what was coming- might have helped my appreciation
taints rule, gypsies drool!

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
I am not hating. Just expressing my disappointment. I have always been disappointed my first viewing since Chamber of Secrets came out, then they grow on me and I get it after watching them a few more times. But with this movie, after my first viewing, I am just even more disappointed than I had been with any of the others. As a movie, it was definitely decent and watchable/entertaining. But as for the storyline/plot/adaptation, it was awful. I\'m not one to nitpick slight differences between book and film (such as Neville telling Harry about gilly**** in Goblet, not Dobby stealing it for him). I believe that they went the complete wrong direction with the film. The book was epically awesome, my 2nd favorite of the series. It divulged a ton of necessary information to set the tone for the final book and also showed the characters growing up and maturing with their hormones and whatnot. The film was, for the most part, focused on the latter, which in my opinion was a mistake, but understandable, since these are "Harry Potter" movies and not Voldemort movies, but I still believe they left way too much important information out, and can only hope that they somehow manage to sneak it into Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I.

Below, in spoilers, are some (not nearly all) of my beefs with the film, in no particular order:

[spoiler]There were not enough \'lessons\' with Dumbledore. There were only two memories shown. This would have been okay if Dumbledore had managed to confide in Harry his theory of there being 7 horcruxes and what/where he believed them to be.

J.K. Rowling wrote these books. She wrote them wonderfully. Why the fuck do the filmmakers/screenwriters/whoever think it is a good idea to ADD scenes that are not in the book! I understand having to change a scene or combine a few to fit in the time constraints of a movie, but adding a scene of that magnitude? That\'s just friggin ridiculous. (Scene added: the Burrow getting torched).

The Harry and Ginny relationship should have been better and had more "relationship"-ness to it, not the subtle hints that they like each other thing that they played at for the whole movie. Their kiss in the room for requirement is a joke, Ron and Lavender stole their scene from the book (out of nowhere kiss after the quidditch match).

If they were going for a laugh here and there, which they sometimes do in these, they really should have shown apparation classes. This also would have been an important 3 minute scene because are we supposed to believe that Harry, Ron and Hermione just know how to do it next movie to get to where they go?

They left out the battle at the end. This is the one scene I was most looking forward to, and they axed it. Why? How? Are you kidding me? I read somewhere that David Yates said they did not want to be redundant or something because the last movie has a similar scene. Sorry Mr. Yates, two completely different scenes and scenarios. It needed to be in this movie, you failed.

There was no funeral for Dumbledore. Rumors have it that the next movie may start off with this. I doubt it.

The ending was not good. In relation to the above Harry/Ginny relationship that should have been more public throughout the movie, Harry tells Ginny his plan and why they can\'t be together. NOT, oh Ron is okay with it, ya know, you and Ginny.[/spoiler]

That is all for now. I will be seeing the movie again this weekend or Monday, I may sing a different tune after, but probably not.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:38:12 pm by antbach »
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
I loved every book and have been very pleased with all the movie adaptations up till now but this one was simply a disgrace. I don\'t know if  the director and screenwriters had a  very successful career before this but I doubt they will have much success after murdering this epic tale and crucial piece of the saga.  

There was  simply no flow or continuity to the movie (and now the series) and the tone/mood of the entire thing was far off point.  

Pretty much like ellis said, two hours of predictable/not funny humor and silly teenage love drama (not even the way it was in the book) and twenty minutes at the end of the movie dealing with what the whole story should have been centered around and a pretty weak attempt at it.

The Borough Scene was totally out of left field and really made no sense and did nothing to push the story forward. Just a random pointless edition.

The whole movie you learn virtually nothing about who Voldemort actually is and his life and how he rose to power and became so demented and became the most dangerous and terrible evil dark wizard ever.  That is probably my biggest gripe with the whole thing because to me that is what was what was most fascinating about the book and what really set up the final chapter.

The whole Half-Blood Prince thing came off wrong/incomplete/insignificant.

After preparing for battle through the entire last movie and fighting the enemy head on and suffering major casualties none of the characters seem even remotely aware of the fact that Voldemort is actively trying to take over the world, cursing and controlling people, spreading fear, at least partially controlling the wizard and muggle governments, torturing people, killing people, gaining power and just bringing back DARK, DARK, TIMES, and threatening all their lives and their families lives and everything that is good.  Even the performances by the actors were completely uninspiring and disengaged from the larger plot line.  

So two hours of making a mess out of the meat of the book and focusing on the wrong elements and even twisting those, then all of a sudden, wait,  here we go to the cave and looking hoar-cruxes with virtually no build up of why or the importance of the mission.

And then The Death Eaters  just walk out of Hogwarts and smash the place up and only have to zap ONE RANDOM dude to escape after Killing and throwing Dumbledore off the Clock Tower??  ARE U SER????

No Funeral??????  Come on. That was one of the best chapters of the entire saga even though it was incredibly sad.  They paid no respect to Dumbledore in this film and the way they set up the next movie was really so anti-climatic and crappy compared to the real deal.

I cant help but wonder how JK Rowling could let it go down like this????  NO WAY she could be pleased with this.  

Reading the book I was amused, intrigued, astounded, scared, enthralled, shocked, amazed, saddened, angered, etc.  Everything a book should be.

Watching the movie I was mildly interested, kinda bored, kinda indifferent, rather disappointed, confused, and anticipating a lot cool stuff and great story telling that never materialized.  

Just a big time failure on a whole.  Had tons of potential and was portrayed in the trailers like it was going to be bad ass and live up to it but this was clearly targeted at bringing in an even wider (and younger) audience than the film already has.  Even the previews they showed before the picture were noticeably one silly kid movie after the next and the movie was basically on the same level aside from ~20 mins of semi-good film making that didn\'t mesh with the rest of the piss poor production at all.  I understand the book (and the whole series) is a dichotomy of them growing up and the larger story but it was just really poorly done this time and off balance.  This is the second to last book and there is just so much history between the characters and built up epic storyline that is supposed to be present and deepened moved forward but none of that comes through.

Granted the bar has been set very high by the illness of the last two or three films and obviously the books but it is a shame to see the film series lose steam and mar the whole series in the 8th inning like this. I hope they can bounce back with the last two films and make up for this one but it is not going to be easy after that train wreck.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:09:15 am by Klout »

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090721/ap_on_en_mo/eu_britain_potter_actor

Pot-growing \'Potter\' actor gets community service

HA! publicity stunt?
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-