Poll

How do you feel about dropping the Psychedelics?

t\'s a great idea! A sure boost to fame!
5 (29.4%)
 can\'t stand it, \"The breakfast\" has been conquered by the mainstream!
4 (23.5%)
 am indecisive, either way the band rocks out!
7 (41.2%)
hat? Who\'s \"The Breakfast\"? And why an I in this handbasket?
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: PB succumbs to fear of stereotypes  (Read 2452 times)

Go Ask Alice

PB succumbs to fear of stereotypes
« on: March 27, 2004, 12:29:51 pm »
This morning I woke up, walked downstairs and got on the computer.  I checked my e-mail,  following my usual morning routine and found an e-mail from "The Breakfast e-mailing list."  I was happy to receive some new information on one of my favoritie jam bands Psychedelic Breakfast and figured the inaccurate titling of the group in the e-mail subject was due to abbreviation.  However, when I opened the e-mail and decided to read it the headlining issue was the name change of the band by subtracting the psychedelic from their breakfast.   I was really disturbed by this.   Not only is "The breakfast" minusing the psychedelic from their title.... but their taking away a huge part of their identity in order to gain fame and more supporters.  As far as I am concerned "The Breakfast" are succumbing to the fear of mainstream stereotypes.  Any person that judges a band soley on their name doesn\'t deserve to listen to "The Breakfast" anyway.  Altough I dislike the name change, I will not stop supporting one of the best jam bands out there, psychedelic or not, "The Breakfast" will always have my vote.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 01:32:06 pm »
Thanx but we won\'t beat this horse anymore on this forum hopefully. What\'s done is done and from the reception the guys r getting it looks like the name change is no big deal. Welcome to the forum.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:16:54 pm »
so if theyre your faveorite band, where you  been?
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:38:45 pm »
It\'s OK.  The only change is that we used to be "Psychedelic Breakfast fans" and now we\'re "psychedelic Breakfast fans".
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

JSleeper240

• I fling poo
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 03:16:32 pm »
everyone "drops psychedelics" at one time or another.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Re: PB succumbs to fear of stereotypes
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 05:44:10 pm »
Originally posted by Go Ask Alice
they\'re taking away a huge part of their identity in order to gain fame and more supporters.  As far as I am concerned "The Breakfast" are succumbing to the fear of mainstream stereotypes.

Interesting observation here.  I agree that a band taking away a part of its own identity does not help the band.  But anything done to gain fame and more supporters is obviously good for the band, as long as it\'s not dangerous.  Gaining fame and more supporters is the whole point of growing the business of a band.  If the band is "succumbing to the fear of mainstream stereotypes", then what they are doing is giving the people what they want.  Listening to what the people want and then trying to give it to them while sticking to your desired music stylings is a great quality for any band to have.  The Breakfast is trying to do this, so it\'s really hard to knock the justifications of the name change.  Now, whether or not this is actually what people want is still very much up in the air.  It is not clear whether this name change will make a positive, negative, or no difference.  But they\'re trying to do the right thing.

JSleeper240

• I fling poo
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 06:48:37 pm »
When news of the name change orginially was posted , I think it was Dave Peck who said something to the effect of "it\'s like a guy cutting his long hair in order to get a job where it\'s considered inapproprate attire in order to reap the benefits of the carrer"....maybe i shouldn\'t have used " " since I\'m not really quoting, oh well.

tiedyetoga

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 09:25:23 am »
I don\'t even know why this is even an issue anymore. The name change is one of the greatest things to happen to this band. It had to be done. If you enjoy this band, you should support them no matter what. Their name doesn\'t mean anything, its all about the music.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 09:51:01 am »
if the name was all about some position or commitment then changing it could be some sort of copout, but it\'s not! it\'s just the name of an awesome rock n roll band with unbeleithable potential that\'s just trying to make the right moves for their careers. they are way past just doing this for fun (as fun as it may be). sometimes business decisions have to be made and almost never does everyone agree. now it\'s done and i\'m hungry. i think i\'ll have some breakfast.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 10:02:18 am »
Originally posted by JSleeper240
everyone "drops psychedelics" at one time or another.

:P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 12:22:30 pm »
Are we still talking about this?

We are!?

Seriously?
Masturbation in the MFA

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 02:55:39 pm »
not really seriously.....just kind of whimsically..

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 08:39:46 pm »
A newbie started the thread, she deserves to be responded to.  Not her fault she just got here.  I am personally pretty tired of it though.