Author Topic: So is The Breakfast still a band or now a hobby?  (Read 12880 times)

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
So is The Breakfast still a band or now a hobby?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:35 pm »
quite honestly, success in the music business is in the process of being majorly redefined.  leith, you should of course know this to be true.  given the lack of any sort of viable "formula", i wouldn\'t put anything out of the question.  everyone\'s hurting right now and trying to figure out how to stay afloat.  nobody\'s got a roadmap for the next couple years, let alone the remainder of their musical careers.  i\'m going through a lot of the same things, and i\'m watching 99% of my collegues going through these struggles as well.  we\'ll all come out on the other side, but in the mean time, i don\'t see any reason to stop or reduce our support of the band where we can.  i mean why do we go see them?  because they\'re great and we love to hear them play.  as long as that hasn\'t changed, i say just focus on gratitude for the opportunities we DO have to hear their music as opposed to dwelling on perceived lack.  focus on lack brings more lack.  focus on abundance attracts more abundance.
Postcount +1.

stublatt

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:12 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;221707
quite honestly, success in the music business is in the process of being majorly redefined.  leith, you should of course know this to be true.  given the lack of any sort of viable "formula", i wouldn\'t put anything out of the question.  everyone\'s hurting right now and trying to figure out how to stay afloat.  nobody\'s got a roadmap for the next couple years, let alone the remainder of their musical careers.

Uncle Butch Trucks has the answer - maybe -  and it is:

http://www.moogis.com

Everyone and anyone that is seriously interested in the survival and the success of incredible bands like The Breakfast should check out what Butch\'s thoughts and vision are for the future of music - he makes a lot of sense, and has obviously spent a lot of time thinking about how to best utilize the incredible technology that is available to all of us.  When you all get a free minute or 10, PLEASE check out this recent interview:

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviewbutchtrucks09.htm

Important to note that:

A. yes, I have signed up, and currently have Moogis (and, like Seinfeld\'s ex, they are \'real\' and they are \'spectacular\'!)

B. no, I\'m not on Butch\'s payroll.  But here\'s the bottom line:  It absolutely benefits me in the long run if moogis.com becomes the success that Butch envisions.  Being a huge ABB fan, yes, having the entire 40th annual Beacon run available on my big screen - whenever the fuck I want to watch any of the shows - in the next 6 MONTHS - was a huge factor in my decision to pluck down what was the equivilent of 1 prime orchestra seat in order to get this service.  But what is WAY MORE IMPORTANT in all this is the future success of small to mid-size jam bands throughout this country.  Please read about Butch\'s vision on how this technology will help bands like The Breakfast, moe., String Cheese, Tea Leaf, Umphrey\'s, George Lesiw, D Trucks, Govt Mule, Hubinger St, Electric Mayhem, etc not just survive, but thrive in an otherwise struggling economy.  Just read any of the posts on .info, and you can\'t help but feel the passion that you all have  -  and the one thing that drives the passion, at least on this site, is the incredible, improvisational, creative musical force of Timmy, Adrian, Dangles, Jordan, Matt, Ronnie, and everyone else that has contributed over the last 10 years.  Everyone talks about how the music industry, as a whole, really is in a hole!  Commercial radio is a complete waste of time!  Internet radio is cool, but no one really knows how long the Pandoras of the net can actually survive.  Sirius/XM is cool, but it too has it limitations, can itself be stale at times, and is barely still alive (fingers crossed, though).  Bottom line - serious lack of quality sources for our jam band entertainment.

Please at least read about moogis - learn about Butch\'s vision - and consider getting in on something that could really make a difference (imagine having hi def cameras permanently set up at Toads - to check out any band - any time - in the comfort of your very own home theater).  NICE!

BTW - 99% sure Clapton sitting in with ABB on both 3/19 and 3/20!!!

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...chtrucks09.htm

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 06:21:14 pm »
Things like this are great to see and are a step in the right direction, but still haven\'t answered the question of how these artists can get enough money in their pockets to keep doing what they\'re doing...  So as great as steps like these are, I think it\'s a little much to call another Myspace/Youtube spinoff "The Answer"...  Not knocking it, just saying (to quote Tarantino) "Let\'s not start sucking each other\'s dicks just yet".
Postcount +1.

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:05 pm »
Quote from: Mark;218099
What\'s best for the band is whatever THEY want to do and how it fits in with their lives. We are VERY lucky that they are still together and melting faces as it is.

You want to see them? Get your ass on a plane.

:that:
break it down, simplify

spance

• ride
    • http://
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:26 am »
this band will never die. And as long as they keep it real and stay true to what they originally set out to do...WHICH IS FUCK YOUR FACE everytime they play then things will work out. Patience is a motherfucker...I know, i\'ve just spent two long nasty weeks going through withdrawls from over a year of oxy abuse...i\'ve probably slept 7 hours in 7 days but you know what...this band\'s music is slowly getting me through it (and slayer for some reason)...I have an mp3 player with 1/19/01, 1/26/01 and 3/8/01 in it and that\'s all i need to get me by right now, I don\'t even want to smoke cheeba anymore and this is coming from someone who has grown and bred it for the last 17 years, that\'s more then half of my life...but two weeks ago I was in a state of mind that I wouldn\'t wish on my worst enemy, I was so fucked up that a friend from Cali had to tell me that Jordan was back with the band...thinking back and remembering the times I spent with this band and how much fun it was to be at a PB/TB show, helping unload and load the trailor or sit at the merch table for them...I can\'t describe this feeling so all i\'m gonna say is this, strange shit is happening and it\'s all been good. I want more then anything for these guys to make enough money so they and their families can live comfortably...not become rich assholes (which I doubt they\'d ever be) and start mailing in their performances ala Phish in the late 90\'s...and be able to just do what they do best...have fun playing the sweetest sounding music these ears have ever heard...since 60\'s/70\'s Dead of course. But hey...that\'s just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:56:32 am by spance »
I\'m gonna break the speed of sound with my silver bullet!!

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »
TPB music is indispensable, especially in these times.  If money issues threaten a premature ending to this band I\'ll rob a bank.  :wave:
♥♫∞

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 06:09:15 pm »
Quote from: cannontrip;222330
TPB music is indispensable, especially in these times.  If money issues threaten a premature ending to this band I\'ll rob a bank.  :wave:

Breakfast should apply for economic stimulus funds.  With all the bogus pet projects that are going to get cash, might as well include our boys in the wealth.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
Quote from: spance;222309
this band will never die. And as long as they keep it real and stay true to what they originally set out to do...WHICH IS FUCK YOUR FACE everytime they play then things will work out. Patience is a motherfucker...I know, i\'ve just spent two long nasty weeks going through withdrawls from over a year of oxy abuse...i\'ve probably slept 7 hours in 7 days but you know what...this band\'s music is slowly getting me through it (and slayer for some reason)...I have an mp3 player with 1/19/01, 1/26/01 and 3/8/01 in it and that\'s all i need to get me by right now, I don\'t even want to smoke cheeba anymore and this is coming from someone who has grown and bred it for the last 17 years, that\'s more then half of my life...but two weeks ago I was in a state of mind that I wouldn\'t wish on my worst enemy, I was so fucked up that a friend from Cali had to tell me that Jordan was back with the band...thinking back and remembering the times I spent with this band and how much fun it was to be at a PB/TB show, helping unload and load the trailor or sit at the merch table for them...I can\'t describe this feeling so all i\'m gonna say is this, strange shit is happening and it\'s all been good. I want more then anything for these guys to make enough money so they and their families can live comfortably...not become rich assholes (which I doubt they\'d ever be) and start mailing in their performances ala Phish in the late 90\'s...and be able to just do what they do best...have fun playing the sweetest sounding music these ears have ever heard...since 60\'s/70\'s Dead of course. But hey...that\'s just my opinion.

i agree 100%. good luck with everything man
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

spance

• ride
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 09:14:33 am »
thanks ren...without sounding like a complete tool (which i\'m sure I already have), the boys, including Ron, gave me something to live for again...my life. It may seem insignificant to most but when all you want to do is go to sleep and not wake up again and then something in YOUR OWN MIND clicks and tells you to STOP and all you want to do from there is listen to your favorite band again...i\'d say that\'s pretty special.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:08:14 pm by spance »
I\'m gonna break the speed of sound with my silver bullet!!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 10:47:22 am »
hey just found an snl skit all about leith

http://www.hulu.com/embed/Ots_Hph5c6LUHCfWyxV9aw">http://www.hulu.com/embed/Ots_Hph5c6LUHCfWyxV9aw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"  width="512" height="296">
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 01:09:40 pm »
Congrats on kickin them dirty op8s Spence. Keep it up! :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:52 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;222331

Breakfast should apply for economic stimulus funds.  With all the bogus pet projects that are going to get cash, might as well include our boys in the wealth.

Larry Flynt made news back in February saying that if banks and car industries were entitled to economic bailout, why shouldn\'t his industry.  The Breakfast shoud should jump on his coat tails.  They can be part of the 2009 "Pleasure Stimulus Package"

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;222399

Larry Flynt made news back in February saying that if banks and car industries were entitled to economic bailout, why shouldn\'t his industry.  The Breakfast shoud should jump on his coat tails.  They can be part of the 2009 "Pleasure Stimulus Package"

This how I refer to my cock.  Come on, you knew someone would say it
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;222401
Quote from: SlimPickens;222399

This how I refer to my cock.  Come on, you knew someone would say it

My statement was worded as bait, a setup to see who would supply the punchline.  

I figured it would be Todd.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 05:34:47 pm »
Todd\'s been a little absent lately. Figured I\'d pick up the slack.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.