Author Topic: Post Freak-out line-up discusion  (Read 16003 times)

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
Post Freak-out line-up discusion
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 09:26:41 pm »
sorry to hear that tuna brah. really hope your mind changes soon.  i\'ll love these guys no matter what.  not sure how else to go about it.  thanks for it all tim ad chris, and of course jordo matt and stoops.  dreams = not too far out of reach.  keep supportin and trying to get folks to all the shows up till new years.  we gotta keep this wild and crazy music goin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:54:57 pm by bezerker »
*Gia*

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 11:52:58 pm »
Glenn McClelland is boss

molitz would be totally baller too

probably not in the realm of possibility but hey, these two dudes would be sick.  I am content with trio, stoops, jordan, matt-o or whoever.  the only concern is that it looks like getting long term commitments is difficult so the trio will continue to progress and then have to adjust/take a step back in order to add keys when available.  Personally I thought Stoops was solid and comparing Northhampton to Burlington he definitely meshed better the second night.  Tuna thats pretty harsh to write off a stoops infused lineup after seeing a single show not to mention their first show with him playing with the band.  It\'s your opinion and you are free to have it but i have to disagree.  It took matt a number of shows to hit a good stride. expecting a perfectly meshed/EPIC show after only a few number of rehearsals is placing the bar very high.  If your friends left the show thats too bad for them.    Maybe not the band\'s best night musically but I didn\'t see anybody who wasnt enjoying themselves.  

I think if the band moves foreward with Stoops there is a good chance they will gain popularity.  A number of raq fans would be on board and they are pretty rabid and support/promote the band.  Some good press/buzz would happen and curiosity would lead to more people coming out to shows.  Not to mention the musical progress that could follow.  Changing the name is a bad idea IMO, as is totally changing the repertoire, which i doubt would happen.

If Jordan rejoined the band that would also be great.  He has years of chemistry with Adrian and Tim and re-integrating with Chris would change the dynamic.   The band would be very similar to how it used to be and still be different and progress in a different direction.  Not to mention Jordon on Organ = the shit.

If the band continues as a Trio they will still slay it.  Of course there will be haters.  IMO Timmy should be more concentrated on guitar than the keys combo.  Playing the keys/guitar works at times but sometimes becomes a wall of noise.

peaches626

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 01:19:23 am »
Trio shows were da bomb, fa shizzle. But i dig keys like whoa.  Either way, i love the tunes this band has, and the musicians are top notch, so i\'m all about it.

and play wild pack of asscracks.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

postom

• let\'s go pens
    • http://
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 03:04:23 am »
i\'m in the \'pick someone and stick with it so the band has stability and can improve and progress\' camp.

i loved the jordan show.  wouldn\'t mind another (thanks for it not being the boston show, too much travel back and forth for me with the holiday ;) ) but something has to happen, and soon. imo.

tyzack

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 07:30:45 am »
Quote from: peaches626;210851

and play wild pack of asscracks.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

psychjosh

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:44 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;210839
Quote from: Wolfman;210828
If they brought on Stoops and went for a major rebranding/repositioning, including changing the band name and/or seriously overhauling the catlog, I would support that.  I obviously love the current catalog but I would still support them if they did this.

Wolfy I love you man but that would be some serious bullshit were that to occur.

Maybe most of the .info kids are such huge fans of the band that they will stick around through rebranding, dumping old songs, and changing the direction of the band.

But keep in mind a lot of Breakfast fans are not on .info and if they go to shows and stop hearing the classic jammers its gonna be dunzo around here. The Breakfast have taken enough hits by changing their name and losing Jordan. It would be some kind of twisted shit for them to overhaul the catalog. You all may say you\'re gonna stick around but admit it. Most of you would be pissed if they shelved the old school songs.

If I knew I\'d have a 0% chance of hearing Puppetry or Eppy2 at a "Breakfast" show... well at least Phish is back.

Seriously I love The Breakfast. If sommayou feel the need to be dbags just because I don\'t like RAQ and their keyboard player, bite me. Last I checked this wasn\'t a RAQ board so I don\'t have to suck up to their weak ass music.

Last Breakfast show in Northampton literally 1/3 of the people there were my friends who wouldn\'t have gone unless I told em to. Another 1/3 were .info peeps. And 1/3 were people I didn\'t know or some RAQ fans. It took a lot of effort and hype on my part to get all those people out there and it was the worst Breakfast show I\'ve seen maybe ever. So that\'s why I\'m a little pissed. Most of these people won\'t come back because they weren\'t that impressed. Had they been to Sully\'s or any of the great shows Breakfast has pulled out lately they could have gained mad new fans and I wouldn\'t have to break people\'s balls to go to the shows anymore. After watching a lot of my friends leave the show just a few songs into the set... well it was a fuckin sad sight to see. I have been breakin balls for literally years to get people to go to shows and the one time finally I got mad people to go, people now think Breakfast sucks.

My "hey lets go see Breakfast" cred is totally shot. fuck it

/rant

<<-- goes to smoke a gay deemster

For the record.. the only "hit" they took for dropping Psychedelic from the Moniker happened in this immediate fan base. On all other levels going to the Breakfast was 100% the smartest thing they have done to help their careers. I do however agree that changing the name again would be idiotic. The only way they can regroup under a different name would be to abandon "The Breakfast" all together and start a new band.

Now don\'t misunderstand me. I DO NOT want the Breakfast to cease but if things become unsustainable... starting a new group with these musicians would still demand a listen from anyone appreciative of SER music.

As far as the Iron Horse shows... I wasn\'t there but logic dictates that the 1st run w/ a new member who has had little time to really learn the songs coupled with the fact that there was a theme... Maybe not the best time to intoduce a new fan. If someone is that turned off to never give em another shot... Fuck em! We don\'t need them around here anyway. Tell them to wait for the next Deep Banana Blackout reunion.
Bring Back the Shotty Nasal!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:41 am »
One question...  Everyone is talking about Jordan leaving the band as being a major hit, what about when Ron left the band?  Chris is great and has been a great fit for The Breakfast.  But seriously, did you all forget about the effort he put into this band and the history that is between he, Tim and Adrian?
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

psychjosh

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 09:01:40 am »
I don\'t think anyone will ever forget about Save. I also think that any time an original band member leaves.. the band takes a hit. Look at WSP post Houser. Fans wanted to hang That other dude. It took 2 years or more before they decided to bring in Herring (saved the band BTW) That\'s the most obvious example I can think of.

I don\'t hear everyone lauding Jordans departure or Ron\'s for that matter. I hear frustration over an uncertain future and anticipation over what might be.
Bring Back the Shotty Nasal!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 09:19:51 am »
Josh - I don\'t disagree with you.  Personally, I love the music more than most people believe... But I think that at some point it will be time to shit or get off the pot... I\'m not saying it\'s now, but I don\'t think it\'s too far into the future...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2008, 09:41:14 am »
For real Yoda.  This is like the 4th uncertain future the Breakfast have seen.  No new album/material in sight, no immediate marketing strategy, no fucking keyboardist= no future.  If the band keeps on going at this rate it looks like Max Creek country for them, which is fine for this fan base because they just want their Breakfast, but is a huge blow to people who at one time or another TRULY believed in this band and would\'ve  done anything to get them to massive heights.   Sad state of affairs for everyone involved, though I will always be 100% grateful for the blissful experiences I\'ve had with this band.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2008, 09:48:18 am »
Quote from: psychjosh;210864
For the record.. the only "hit" they took for dropping Psychedelic from the Moniker happened in this immediate fan base. On all other levels going to the Breakfast was 100% the smartest thing they have done to help their careers.

Now don\'t misunderstand me. I DO NOT want the Breakfast to cease but if things become unsustainable... starting a new group with these musicians would still demand a listen from anyone appreciative of SER music.

As far as the Iron Horse shows... I wasn\'t there but logic dictates that the 1st run w/ a new member who has had little time to really learn the songs coupled with the fact that there was a theme... Maybe not the best time to intoduce a new fan. If someone is that turned off to never give em another shot... Fuck em! We don\'t need them around here anyway. Tell them to wait for the next Deep Banana Blackout reunion.

Speaking to your first point, that "hit" is exactly what I meant... in terms of fanbase. Can The Breakfast afford to lose more fans? I guess that\'s not a question for me to answer.

To your second point... there is so much SER music out there that people don\'t even know about. If certain members of The Breakfast were to start a new group they\'d have a few .info kids there but that\'s it. Talk about starting from the ground up?

And yeah I wish I could have dragged that many people out to Sully\'s or something but (unfortunately?) I live in Northampton and that\'s where my crew is at. So that\'s just the way it worked out. Since Matt stepped into the band pretty well right off the bat (yes I was there Vibes 07, he sounded great) and Dangle was wicked ser from the first note I was pretty optimistic that Stoops would be great as well.

To your last point. You may say you don\'t need \'em around here anyway. But I disagree. Maybe you don\'t know these kids, a lot of \'em are my festie crew and for the record they are absolutely dedicated fans to whatever bands they like. But now they\'re back on Bisco / Umphreys / Bassnectar / STS9 / DSO / Phil / Bobby / P-Groove (not RAQ, I don\'t know anyone who thinks they don\'t suck lol) tour and the only way they\'ll see Breakfast again is if they happen to camp out next to whatever stage Breakfast is playing at, and they are too fucked up to wander elsewhere. That\'s the truth. If Breakfast had put on a SER show at Iron Horse I could almost guarantee you a sell out for the next show and I doubt they would be playing at Iron Horse much longer.

After years of being the only one in my crew who gives a shite about Breakfast other than "oh yeah, their guitar player is pretty good but not as good as Jake Cinneger" I gave the band the best opp since Butterfield to win new fans in western Mass and it was totally blown.

Maybe you\'re right and they don\'t need these fans. Depends if Breakfast wants to play Sully\'s for life.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

tyzack

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2008, 09:57:43 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;210875

After years of being the only one in my crew who gives a shite about Breakfast other than "oh yeah, their guitar player is pretty good but not as good as Jake Cinneger" I gave the band the best opp since Butterfield to win new fans in western Mass and it was totally blown.

Is it the agreed opinion that the IH show was that bad? I thought it was REALLY good for a guy\'s first show with a new band. I have never heard RAQ. I dug his jams, and more than that he looked like he was really into and really trying hard. I didn\'t catch any of the other shows, the tape of the Burlington show is great.

I support Stoops and think they should sign him. It\'s name regonition.

And secondly the only person better at guitar that Timmy is God, and even that is debatable.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2008, 10:19:49 am »
Most .info people and Bfam seemed to think it was great.

Most of the people I brought out to the show were baffled by the "weird cartoon music", thought Stoops looked clueless, and some of them left early.

This is the point I am trying to get across. These Freakout shows can either be a great idea like last year when they did Reba and Gordo sat in... that was huge! This years choice of playing cartoon music was truly retarded.

I guess I\'m not the type to hear "Pinky and the Brain" and think "oh wow that is so fuckin SER how did they ever learn that!!!". To me it\'s a waste of time, total buzzkill, ruins the flow of the show.

Thinking back at how many rediculously awesome PB/Breakfast shows I\'ve seen in Northampton I have to say none of these were Freakouts. I know, I hate fun. But I am obsessed with ser music.

I agree TPalms is better than Jake. But Trey 1992-1994 era pwns everybody. Get real. Go smoke a gay deemster and listen to Live Phish 10.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2008, 10:29:07 am »
Joe - I agree with you for the most part, but I look at it this way:

1. No new album - there have been so many line up changes, who would you have record the tunes.  Let\'s wait until things settle down.

2. No new material in site - there have been 8 new songs written this year.  I know that there were a lot of new tunes written in the beginning, but that was bound to slow up at some point.

3. No immediate marketing strategy - that is nothing new.

4. No keyboardist - I don\'t think that is the end of the world.  If they get the right person involved, great, but I think that they sounded perfectly fine as a trio.  Personally, I liked Tim\'s guitar playing when he had to take time away to handle the keys.

I agree that it looks like they may be traveling down the same path as Max Creek, but I\'ve been preaching that for years.  There\'s a lot of people that are okay with that (not me, but it\'s not my band).

There\'s only three people right now that can truly say what the state of affairs is for the band - that\'s Tim, Adrian and Chris.  Until something comes from one of them, let\'s not speculate on the unknown and take our fingers off the panic button.  These guys have seen adversity before and have come through it before.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:13 am »
ahh too much to readddd
DS Newbers