Author Topic: PB to become "The Breakfast"??  (Read 17700 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
PB to become "The Breakfast"??
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2003, 06:05:07 pm »
Has anyone mentioned to the band how worked up their fanbase is ? Maybe they would be interested in having a fan contest to come up w/ a new name ? From my interaction w/ Tim and Jordan i think they would be mildly amused @ all the ruckus. Anyway let it be "Pee Bee" 4 me.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

john_the_sloth

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2003, 06:41:31 pm »
that would make my pb shirt worth more.......

davepeck

• Administrator
the perfect name has been found!
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2003, 06:42:37 pm »
but i can take no credit for it...

Destiny\'s Breakfast.

you heard it here first...

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2003, 06:52:06 pm »
i think they are pretty set on what theyre gonna do, and havent really checked out all the stir about it all of a sudden...only think 1 of 4 actually have internet..maybe 2.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Re: the perfect name has been found!
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2003, 07:09:16 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
but i can take no credit for it...

Destiny\'s Breakfast.

you heard it here first...

I am pretty sure that Kelly Rowland is available!
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

doobster420

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2003, 09:07:52 pm »
I really don\'t see how changing their name is "selling out".  Now if their music suddenly took a dive then maybe calling them "sell outs" would be justifiable, but I really don\'t see that happening.  Honestly I thought Psychedelic Breakfast was a horrible name, but like someone said before, it has grown on me through the music.  So if they think the name change is necessary, then they should go for it.  PeeBee works for me!! or what about Psyche B!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2003, 09:22:37 pm »
You know i always liked the name Psychedelic Breakfast. I love the way it sounds, I love the look on peoples faces when they say " what was that name again ?" i don\'t know maybe i\'m a fool but i never had a problem w/ the name and until this thread, had no idea so many people did not like the name. I don\'t know but it seems like it describes them pretty well. If PB is not psychedelic than who the f*&k is ?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2003, 09:48:39 pm »
how about Psychedelic Lunch??
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2003, 06:46:05 am »
Originally posted by Wolfman
Maybe they could go with other PB\'s such as Porgy and Bess,

nice one wolf! a little big band miles davis! it aint necessarily so kicks ass
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2003, 07:16:41 am »
alright, i\'ve been off the board for a while, but heres my 2cents on this thread:

1. yes, its true about the moe. scandal and pb not opening. It comes straight from the mouth of Al, not a promoter, and yes I have proof.
2. Everything anyone ever does can be considered selling out. it can also be considered making it, or growing. Where were all of you calling PB sellouts when they signed with sonance? THEY SIGNED WITH A LABEL!! THAT MAKES THEM SELL OUTS!!
3. Changing your name is something thats always looked down on for some reason. i dont know why, but it is. Face it, pb is 4 guys from staven. they can sell out toads place if everyone decides to come, and yes people know them, but they have not \'made it\' as of yet. Duece did pretty good sales, but bonafide sales are low. it isnt like were talking about phish here and people are praying there mail order goes through for tickets. I hope someday it will, but as dave said, you have to give a little to get a little.

If changing there name is going to allow them to get better billing, which will get them out in front of bigger audiences, and thus a larger fan base, then I\'m all for it. If  they came out with a cd that sounded like backstreet boys, i\'d still buy it to support my friends, but i\'d be going wtf? with freddie at the bar instead of being up front. either way, change is good. i hate bands that every song off of every album sounds exactly the same, because then when they finally do change, even a little, there fans start screaming that they\'ve changed and it sucks, bla bla bla. examples: led zeppelin 4 or metallicas load album. pb\'s music has changed, and it keeps getting better in my opinion. when I first saw these guys back in 98, I never would have expected to EVER hear a song like Vera st., but its a  great song. thats what I love about pb. the music, who cares what the name is there playing under, as long as there still playing.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

rustyD

• http://
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2003, 07:39:50 am »
It\'s a matter of "IF"

IF a change will result in a better situation...

Why are we all convinced that it will?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2003, 07:53:34 am »
we\'re not all convinced!

neither is the band!

no one knows what\'s gonna happen.. make no mistake about it, the band knows that this is it right here... this will make it or break it for them...

congrats to rusty on having the 100th post in this thread! :D

btw, i got your email, but the review wasn\'t with it.. send it to me when you get a chance and i\'ll archive it... dave@pbfans.com

thanks.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2003, 11:09:05 am »
I guess if the band wants to get rich and become famous by drawing the MTV / POP crowd then that is cool but if that does happen I am not sure how long I would attend shows. Look what happened to The Grateful Dead when that happened etc. I am all for more people at PB shows but is this really the best way to go ?

Whoa... hold on... how did this go from "there is a rumor that the band may possibly change it\'s name" to "the band wants to get rich by drawing the MTV/POP crowd"? This thread is out of control. I highly doubt the band wants their shows to be swarmed with teenyboppers who aren\'t going to appreciate their music anyhow. Drawing more of a crowd doesn\'t have to necessitate pop-ifying one\'s  music...

Honestly, I can understand the desire for a name change. When I have someone riding around in my car who has never heard pb, they always sound intrigued and want to know about the band when I put some on. When I tell them it is a band called Psychedelic Breakfast, a lot of these people lose interest really fast. It\'s a slightly juvenile band name I think (I\'m going to get yelled at for this, I know it...) and it makes it harder to take them seriously. And these boys should absolutely be taken seriously.

If a name change spreads the band\'s music, blessing more people with the opportunity to rock out to MV, then I say change the damn name and quickly too. As long as they don\'t sacfrifice the integrity of their music, it\'s all good with me.
Masturbation in the MFA

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2003, 12:02:21 pm »
Jocelyn...i agree..this is getting out of control. people are lookin way too into this.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2003, 12:50:17 pm »
Originally posted by jocelyn

Whoa... hold on... how did this go from "there is a rumor that the band may possibly change it\'s name" to "the band wants to get rich by drawing the MTV/POP crowd"? This thread is out of control. I highly doubt the band wants their shows to be swarmed with teenyboppers who aren\'t going to appreciate their music anyhow. Drawing more of a crowd doesn\'t have to necessitate pop-ifying one\'s  music...

Jocelyn I think you may have taken what I was saying out of context or I didn\'t explain myself clearly. What I was suggesting / asking is what are the bands intentions. If they want to "get rich" then playing to the "Jamband" Community is not the way to do it. There are very few bands that have gotten rich playing to this community. Phish maybe the only post 60\'s example but they didn\'t have the internet to contend with and the market wasn\'t saturated with Jam Bands as it has become in the past several years. The community is fragmented like never before for the weekend local dollar. PB has been around long enough now that a good majority of people have heard of them. They may have never seen the band perform or heard their music but have heard others discuss them or seen them in lineups etc. So it would make sense that the easiest place to pick up new fans is outside of the "Jamband" community and attracting these types of fans comes with other perils besides low attendance.

Kind of looking at it like a math problem. If the Number of JAMBAND fans is finite then it would hold true that you would have to lure fans away from 1 show to come to a PB show, how does the name change accomplish this ? If you market outside of the Jamband community the potential fanbase is endless so to speak and you don\'t have to lure away.

Name change or no name change I will still be going to watch these guys
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19