Author Topic: PB to become "The Breakfast"??  (Read 17694 times)

jefft

• pbfan
    • http://www.etree.org/jefft
PB to become "The Breakfast"??
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2003, 01:41:55 am »
OMG..I didn\'t even read the whole thread, but this shit is outta control.  If there is any truth to it, God Bless the band..they are doing what they think is the best for them.  I remember seeing my first PB show thinking it was the dumbest name ever.."This band rocks, but they will never get anywhere with a stupid ass name like that, especially if they don\'t ever play Frankenstein." Second show I was hooked and thought the name was the best evah, suited them perfectly.  I will still go to shows if the name is changed, but PSYCHEDELIC BREAKFAST has become such a great chapter of my life if it is changed, I don\'t know..but I feel that the feeling just won\'t be exactly the same as it used to be.  People LOVE PB..let it be!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 01:50:50 am by jefft »
Cheap Sunglasses is a great song!

rustyD

• http://
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2003, 09:24:25 am »
Hey, all I\'m sayin is that you have a name that you call your band, and it\'s been around for several years, and it has recognition and meaning.  If you change it *because of the possibility that SOME people don\'t like it*, you are giving in to that pressure and possibly hurting yourself in the long run.

That\'s the point:  If this was an OBVIOUS good move, then of course, I\'m all in favor of smart business decisions.  Selling out is fine if you can upgrade your lifestyle and bank account.  

But this is not that obvious.  It is a questionable decision, and the pressure by some WEAK ASS promoters or music people pr college organizers is not enough to risk and sacrafice what you\'ve built to this point.  

You gotta stick with your game, and trust that it\'s the right thing for you.  The name of your band, yeah no big deal but I just don\'t see that the reasoning behind changing it is enough to warrant the change.  You\'d be trading in something rather significant and symbolic in exchange for basically NOTHING.  Not much would change after they changed it.  

That\'s not a fair trade, and doesn\'t make sense.  So it\'s not only a sellout in the true sense of the word, it\'s a DUMB sellout, which is far worse.  If VH1 said to them, "We\'ll film you a video and play it on our station and give you live appearances and cut an album with you IF you change your name"... Well sure fuck yeah do it!  But what is the trade-off in reality?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2003, 09:58:26 am »
<--- not seeing how this is "selling-out"... not in the least bit...

making a change because you believe you\'ve hit a plateau and the change will make you better is considered "selling out", but changing your name to be on vh1 is a-ok and super cool?! :hscratch:

you know, it\'s all fun and games to sit here and call promoters "weak ass pansys", but at the end of the day, they call the shots...

say you just graduated from law school and you have long hair and a long beard, and you try to get a job at a bunch of different law firms, and they won\'t hire you because you don\'t fit their image... this is not just happening right when you get out of school, this is happening for 3 years after you\'ve graduated, and it\'s the same story everywhere you go.. you shave and cut your hair to get a job, and better your career.. is that selling out? no. it\'s being smart, and realizing that the little dream world you made up in your head where you can be yourself 24/7 and never have to make changes for anyone else, and be your own free spirit and call all the shots in your life is FAKE. as perfect as it sounded, it\'s not a reality. sometimes you have to make minor changes to things in your life to get where you want to be... you just have to ask yourself what\'s more important to you... if your long hair and beard are more important to you than your career, that\'s your choice...

2 words: sell out
2 more words: carlos santana

discuss..

and in other news, it\'s been reported that Tim Palmeri will be changing the name of his side project "The Diesel Experiments" to "The Experiments"... more news on this story as it develops.

rustyD

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2003, 10:06:29 am »
Well my adapted point now, about selling out, is that it\'s fine to sell out and make a change if that chaneg will definitely lead to a better result.  Getting on VH1.. go for it no matter what.  Getting into a good law firm.. yes!

Changing your name because some people don\'t like it.. I dunno.  The question is, WILL this DEFINITELY lead to better results for them.  Better gigs, better industry recognition.  

I tend to doubt it.  Psychedelic Breakfast.  What\'s the problem.  It\'s not like they;re called the ACID HEADS or something, or RAPE YOUR MOM.  

They\'ll change it and then find out that they\'ve still got an uphill battle, and people still might not book them, people still don\'t understand and appreciate the music.  Then where are they?  Pissed that they sold out for NOTHING.  

It\'s not a chance that is worth taking.

tiedyetoga

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2003, 10:23:34 am »
PB is NOT "selling-out"!

That term is used so often when people don\'t know what else to say. Change is good, who knows if this is true or not. If it helps the band, then we all should be for it.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2003, 10:41:20 am »
I am not gonna call the band "sell outs" but people are bringing up some good points. If the band changes it name and the attendance / number of shows stays the same or shrinks then what ?

I guess it all comes down to what the band wants. If they aren\'t happy playing to the numbers they have in attendance now then why not try promoting shows instead of a name change ? I would have to say that in my experience unless I am telling someone about a show they don\'t know about it. I know that fliering is being done but is that really enough ? Especially in PB\'s home area. Every weekend night in this area there are good solid bands playing and it thins everyones attendance. Maybe a spectacle or some sort of "show" would entice other music lovers to attend. Maybe a free show "for the Fans" I know these ideas may have been tried before but I certainly haven\'t seen them.

I think it is a huge move to go with a name change especially under the guise of "no one will work with us". I don\'t know the inside scoop but I know that other bands with much more drug references in the name that don\'t have attendance issues and I wouldn\'t call them mainstream acts.

I guess if the band wants to get rich and become famous by drawing the MTV / POP crowd then that is cool but if that does happen I am not sure how long I would attend shows. Look what happened to The Grateful Dead when that happened etc.  I am all for more people at PB shows but is this really the best way to go ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

melanie

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2003, 10:41:53 am »
dave, unless they actually change it to "pb", this site is going to need some major reconstruction!  or perhaps those who "knew the band back when" will continue to call them psychedelic breakfast regardless.
however, freddie hit the nail on the head with the post about their name could prevent the boys from making a living, and if that is the case it needs to go, we all gotta eat.
But will "the breakfast" have 80\'s teeny boppers saying \'you mean like "the breakfast club"?

rustyD

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2003, 10:55:49 am »
True, it would not be a \'sell out\' if they themselves sincerely did not like the name.  

But doing things that you don\'t like, for other people\'s reasons, especially when economically motivated, is selling out.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2003, 11:08:42 am »
PeeBee... that\'s my vote for the new name..

rustyD

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2003, 11:11:16 am »
Pee bee.. I actually like that!

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2003, 11:26:36 am »
This question came to mind when reading theses posts.

What Band/s in the past 5/6 years have broken out of the Mid-Tier "Jam Band" community to headline festivals etc (Not festivals that they put on themselves). I honestly couldn\'t think of 1. All I kept coming up with was bands that had been established well before this time frame. I am not trying to depress anyone but the reality is what it is.

Please list some if you can think of any
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

tiedyetoga

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2003, 11:55:39 am »
Originally posted by kindm\'s
I am not gonna call the band "sell outs" but people are bringing up some good points. If the band changes it name and the attendance / number of shows stays the same or shrinks then what ?

I guess it all comes down to what the band wants. If they aren\'t happy playing to the numbers they have in attendance now then why not try promoting shows instead of a name change ? I would have to say that in my experience unless I am telling someone about a show they don\'t know about it. I know that fliering is being done but is that really enough ? Especially in PB\'s home area. Every weekend night in this area there are good solid bands playing and it thins everyones attendance. Maybe a spectacle or some sort of "show" would entice other music lovers to attend. Maybe a free show "for the Fans" I know these ideas may have been tried before but I certainly haven\'t seen them.

I think it is a huge move to go with a name change especially under the guise of "no one will work with us". I don\'t know the inside scoop but I know that other bands with much more drug references in the name that don\'t have attendance issues and I wouldn\'t call them mainstream acts.

I guess if the band wants to get rich and become famous by drawing the MTV / POP crowd then that is cool but if that does happen I am not sure how long I would attend shows. Look what happened to The Grateful Dead when that happened etc.  I am all for more people at PB shows but is this really the best way to go ?

I bust my ass on a daily basis trying to promote the shows. We have a nice grassroots team that I have been slowly building.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2003, 12:17:48 pm »
grayson,youve been doing a great job with your team.the breakfast will be tough to swallow for awhile but i think well get used to it.itll be so hard to not think of actual breakfast,like the first meal of the day(flapjacks,french toast,swine,coffee),and i dont really like breakfast.i actually prefer lunch.breakfast to me is usually a yoohoo and i stick it out until 14 when a grab a nice submarine sandwich.i like Just Breakfast.its kinda like making lite of the unfortunate situation of having to change your bands name just to make other people happy.that blows!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2003, 12:45:50 pm »
I really wasn\'t suggesting that you don\'t bust your ass on a daily basis. I know how much you do for the band etc. I was just wondering if a boost in promo wouldn\'t accomplish say the same results as name chnage. I completely apologize if it came off as me dissing you.

bluefunknebula

• F th cops n censorship 2
    • http://www.myspace.com/amplifier_worship
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2003, 04:25:11 pm »
my final opinion on this matter:

psychedelic breakfast needs to do what\'s best for the band to progress and become successful. we know these guys aren\'t the type to "sell out"(however you interpret those words). they wouldn\'t compromise their music to get ahead...it is just a name that will be changing. it\'s still gonna be the same hard working, gifted musicians up there blowing our minds! they\'ve invested years into creating their art, which has blossomed into a career with pb constantly playing all over the place. the analogy of the bearded longhair attorney is so right on. they have chosen their path...and that leads upward and outwards. they can\'t make the trip if there\'s baggage holding them down (in this case, a name). psychedelic breakfast isn\'t the greatest name for a band...but it is a name we\'ve grown to love because of the incredible music attached to it...and we\'ve become attached to the name. so again....what ever is best for the band (just don\'t change it to THE breakfast, cause that\'s worse than PSYCHEDELIC breakfast)