Author Topic: So..... new album anyone?  (Read 9186 times)

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
So..... new album anyone?
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:15 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;196203
passive aggressive gay bashing = the best way to be taken seriously and get your point across

you = official .info gay rights advocate and master of maintaining a professional and politically correct tone while discussing jamband music on the interent. thumbs up guy.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 10:39:48 am »
I\'m not saying that this is definitely a good idea or bad idea, just throwing it out there:

What about rerecording Buquebus for the new album? Deuce ain\'t exactly Sgt. Pepper\'s as far as circulation, so it\'s not like a great deal of people who aren\'t on DOTinfo would notice. I\'m not sure if there is a recent precedent with a band (on or around the Breakfast\'s level of fame) doing something like this, but Buquebus seems to catch on wherever it\'s played, so why not give newbs what they want to find when they buy the album?

While you all stew on that, I\'ll be off learning how to insert the little tomato smiley into posts for future reference.

Quote from: Klout;196208

passive aggressive gay bashing = the best way to be taken seriously and get your point across

you = official .info gay rights advocate and master of maintaining a professional and politically correct tone while discussing jamband music on the interent. thumbs up guy.

I\'m not a big fan of political correctness. I am, however, a big fan of coherent arguments.

And I regretted posting that reply as soon as I did, because I knew it was going to do nothing but instigate. My bust.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:39:48 am by Drew_Kingsley »
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:11 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;196207

I say if its not on a previous album, if it kicks ass, and if Matt and Chris can play it, put it on a new one.

Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;196210
I\'m not saying that this is definitely a good idea or bad idea, just throwing it out there:

What about rerecording Buquebus for the new album? Deuce ain\'t exactly Sgt. Pepper\'s as far as circulation, so it\'s not like a great deal of people who aren\'t on DOTinfo would notice. I\'m not sure if there is a recent precedent with a band (on or around the Breakfast\'s level of fame) doing something like this, but Buquebus seems to catch on wherever it\'s played, so why not give newbs what they want to find when they buy the album? My bust.

O.A.R. recorded their "first" album at least 3 times...

but I strongly dislike them and wouldn\'t put them anywhere near the same level as the breakfast.

I\'m just throwing it out there as a reference.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:45:11 am by tyzack »
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 11:46:29 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;196210

What about rerecording Buquebus for the new album? Deuce ain\'t exactly Sgt. Pepper\'s as far as circulation, so it\'s not like a great deal of people who aren\'t on DOTinfo would notice. I\'m not sure if there is a recent precedent with a band (on or around the Breakfast\'s level of fame) doing something like this, but Buquebus seems to catch on wherever it\'s played, so why not give newbs what they want to find when they buy the album?

While you all stew on that, I\'ll be off learning how to insert the little tomato smiley into posts for future reference.

Quote from: Klout;196208

I\'m not a big fan of political correctness. I am, however, a big fan of coherent arguments.

And I regretted posting that reply as soon as I did, because I knew it was going to do nothing but instigate. My bust.

No way Drew, you did the right thing.  I was going to say something, but you did instead.  

That being said, "The Message" rocks.....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 12:04:59 pm »
Quote from: Overexjoesure;196219

That being said, "The Message" rocks.....

:hscratch:  you\'re out of your fucking mind
*Gia*

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2008, 12:05:32 pm »
Quote from: Overexjoesure;196199
EP\'s are a waste. Too short, too much money, just a sad idea altogether. Nothing stands in the way of them making an 80 minute album with decent production, BUT themselves.  Make the financial investment and wow people with an 80 minute epic masterpiece and be done with it.  

To say that the new album should exclude Tunage, Ep 3 and eschers 3+4 is ludicrous.  Tunage is such a fun and powerful tune.  A studio version would fit nicely on XM radio.  I\'m sick of only having live versions of it on my Ipod!! While I wasn\'t a fan of Ep3 at first because of the anti-climatic blues ending, I think the band should stay consistent with releasing each episode on a studio album.  And with Eschers, the band is playing it more with Chris and Matt, than they did with Ron.    

All they need to do is find a half decent producer who knows how to run a mixing board and they\'re golden.

hey, joe, if you\'ve got the money to do an 80 minute record the right way (and this means a whole lot more than finding "a half decent producer who knows how to run a mixing board"), i\'m sure they\'d love to do a full length on your dime!

the thing is, they DO need more than a "half decent producer".  that\'s what they\'ve had for their past few studio records, and by no means to i consider any of them really phenomenal records.  when i want to turn someone on to the breakfast, i do NOT point them in the direction of their studio recordings.  they\'re not BAD records, but they don\'t capture that special something that this band has.  i mean isn\'t that the point of going into the studio?  to take that magic you have and documenting it for people to be able to enjoy at their leisure?  this band needs a really well produced studio recording, especially with the strength of the songwriting as of late.  to stretch a limited budget into an 80 minute record will get you more of the same.  i really believe that this record must be (and absolutely can be) a REALLY amazing piece of work that anyone who appreciates this genre would want in their cd rotation at all times.  the material is SOLID!  to spread the time/money/energy too thin recording/producing it would be a real shame.  IMHO, it would be a waste.  what they need is someone who understands how to PRODUCE a record, not just engineer one.  Sonically, their past could records sound pretty good.  The sounds are solid enough, and the mixes are good, but that\'s only part of what makes a good record.  whoever produces this record should spend a WHOLE lot of time working with the band before they even book the studio time.

i guess my point is, making an 80 minute "epic" that will actually "wow" people takes a LOT more money than one would think.  it\'s not just a question of dipping into the savings a little bit for a little something extra.  it\'s a HUGE expense if you want to do it the right way.  god willing, this isn\'t the last record the breakfast is going to make.  you do a smaller handful of the tunes and do them REALLY well, AND you have plenty of additional material in your back pocket, i\'d say you\'re sittin pretty....
Postcount +1.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »
i love threads like this. gaybashing, extreme opinions, disagreements, polite but real dick put downs, its great. if only leith were here.

well i think there are some good ideas flying around here. it seems like the biggest issues are what to do with the Message and Living Daylights, and which (if any) older tunes should appear on this hypothetical new release

just trying to focus the comments on the real issues, not on hating each other (as fun as it is)

jim, i think you are right. they don;t need to put all the tunes on there. BUT i do think that IAQ needs to be on the record, and maybe throw on a heady soundboard recording from a show. i know the band doesnt have all their vocals and insrtuments balanced through the soundboard, but maybe just do a couple tunes like that during a show or something. y\'know, just throw a sweet HLH or Tunage live track on there.
i dunno
caress me, aunt jemima

tyzack

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008, 03:09:22 pm »
Quote from: Lexington;196238
i love threads like this. gaybashing, extreme opinions, disagreements, polite but real dick put downs, its great. if only leith were here.

just trying to focus the comments on the real issues, not on hating each other (as fun as it is)

Errr...I thought that was the hole point of internet boards; the ability to annoymously flame the shit out of people.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

BennyBoomers

• Biscuits Fluffer
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »
I think it would pay off better for the band to have The Message on an album before Living Daylights.

Bdfreetuna had it right- if the tune kicks ass, and isnt on a previous studio album- it\'s fair game.  I mean these songs were written by people still in the band (I\'m thinkin of Eschers 3 and 4 being Adrians tune and Episodes pretty much being Tim tunes and I imagine Tun-Tun is a tim tune but I\'m not sure)

-peaches incog
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:21:16 pm by BennyBoomers »

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 03:38:52 pm »
Quote from: BennyBoomers;196241
and I imagine Tun-Tun is a tim tune but I\'m not sure)

-peaches incog

def
*Gia*

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:05 pm »
how about this... don\'t put EITHER the message or living daylights on there. both would ruin the album.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 06:30:14 pm »
I want to hear The Message done well in a studio. Its def not their most hardcore song, but I think its catchy and could probably get a lot of Tea Leaf Green and RAQ fans to perk their ears up :lol:
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;196260
I want to hear The Message done well in a studio. Its def not their most hardcore song, but I think its catchy and could probably get a lot of Tea Leaf Green and RAQ fans to perk their ears up :lol:

Good point. I was never a fan of the song in its early days, but it has grown on me; it\'s hardly a vintage pb/breakfast MkI song, but would go down well. Might even get radio exposure if mixed right.

I too like the idea of a double acoustic live album as a bit of a stop-gap, maybe with a few studio tracks like the Message and a few never studio-recorded pb/tb tunes on the end as a bonus. This wouldn\'t damage the album as these days, we don\'t live in an album environment - everyone has mp3 players on random play, it seems. As a result, you don\'t need to worry about complete continuity and this would give the band a chance to record just a few songs which they want to do.

Also a live acoustic album should be comparatively cheap to record, which would then be a nice taster for a new album they could really take their time over, not having blown all their cash.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 04:31:38 pm »
if they did a normal new album...

1. The sound
2. IAQ
3. Reel Time
4. Synergy
5. World Needs Us
6. Metropolis
7. Rush
8. Tunage
9. Eppy 3
10. Rufus

If they did a studio concept Album...

1. Space City affair>
2. Wake up in a Coma>
3. Eschers Etchings (part 1-4)>
4. Episode 3 (awakening)>
5. MU (episode 4)>
6. Son of Simpleton>
7. Sundance
DS Newbers

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;196260

I think it sounds great acoustic (Daniel St 2-17-08).  Seems like it would make a good album song, even if it doesn\'t necessarily fit into the context/energy of a live show.