Author Topic: happy 50th birthday  (Read 1929 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
happy 50th birthday
« on: February 23, 2007, 06:10:50 am »
So I have to say, i was a little depressed when I learned this. Asteroid Apophis is going to pass so close to the earth on 4/13/29 that it was feared when first discovered it would impact. Now it only has a 1 in 45,000 chance of hitting us on it\'s next pass, 4/13/36. Nothing would have made a better 50th birthday present than the total destruction of the earth, but sadly now I\'ll have to wait for a chance of it being destroyed on my 57th birthday. Oh well, can\'t win them all.

When it passes it will be closer to the earth than most of our man-made satellites and will be visable with the naked eye. It will probably destroy a good deal of the satellites, but that is nothing compaired to total annihilation of the human race and the planet. The bend in the trajectory is due to the earths gravitational pull on the asteroid. Uncertainty in its close-approach distance is represented by the short white bar below:

Don\'t forget your towel.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
happy 50th birthday
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:05:27 pm »
now it has a 1 in 45000 chance...
I wonder what the odds will be in 2030......
That is too close to comfort......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Meehowski

happy 50th birthday
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:42:33 pm »
Cool  beans!!
MEEHOWSKI

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
happy 50th birthday
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:54:20 pm »
Damn. Close but no cigar.