Author Topic: Buffalo Wild Wings; New Haven, CT  (Read 2884 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Buffalo Wild Wings; New Haven, CT
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »
Buffalo Wild Wings
74-76 Church St.
New Haven, CT
203-789-9453

21+ / $FREE

3 Sets @ 9:30pm

$1 Drafts; $3 shots

[MAP]

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:26:46 pm »
someone tell catalin about this show. She mentioned how she loves wild wings and was really upset to find out that timmy had played there and she didn\'t know last time.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:49:48 pm »
ummmmm 3 sets on a friday and 1$ drafts... it\'s going to get ugly

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
Yucky Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;209761
someone tell catalin about this show. She mentioned how she loves wild wings and was really upset to find out that timmy had played there and she didn\'t know last time.

someone should take caitlin to the hangar.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;209774

or any of the "Wings Over......." they\'re the same as the Hanger and wouldn\'t have to drive all the way up there.  There\'s a Wings Over Hamden
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:21 pm »
Quote from: Me!;209865
Quote from: davepeck;209774

or any of the "Wings Over......." they\'re the same as the Hanger and wouldn\'t have to drive all the way up there.  There\'s a Wings Over Hamden

well...

while i\'ve never been to any of them but the hangar, i have been told by numerous people, specifically uconn students, that all "wings over"s are in fact NOT created equal, and that the hangar is WAY better than wings over storrs.

like i said, i haven\'t tried the others out myself, but i tend to believe people when they argue that theirs is better than ours.

that said, i don\'t doubt that ANY "wings over" would be better than the schlep they serve at BWW. i can tell you that i would MUCH rather eat wendy\'s chicken nuggets than what BWW considers to be a "boneless wing".

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:30:05 pm »
I really wish you Hanger lovers would give Porky\'s a shot.

It\'s a high quality wing.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:30:50 pm »
Anyone who\'d prefer not to get sick should join me for a pre game at Prime 16, which is right around the corner.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;209869

i\'ll definitely give porky\'s a shot. maybe next thursday before the dew?

as to this show, i\'ll be at girl talk in MA, so maybe someone else could wear my "they\'re not wings!!!!" shirt.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

I actually have been to Porky\'s.  It is certainly a high quality wing, good place...  but it doesn\'t give The Hangar competition.  Nothing wrong with them, just not in the same division.  Nothing wrong at all with a Beamer, but if you put it up against a Lamborghini, I mean, what can you do?  To be fair, The Hanger can be taken down in bone-in wings.  The bone-in dirt wings at J Timothy\'s of Plainville, CT are the single greatest wing I\'ve ever had, and I generally prefer boneless!  I can\'t take J Timothy\'s over The Hangar because The Hanger does more flavors well and their specialty is boneless which is my preference.  But my god, if you\'re living in CT and haven\'t done J Timothy\'s make the trip.  You\'ll thank me later.  (PS Sliders wings have all the hype and they\'re about as good as Buffalo Wild Wings.)  

As for Wings Over (now with over 50 stores nationwide), these wings are VERY GOOD.  In almost any town, especially small college towns, they will be the best wings in town, or at least the best ones you can get delivered.  They are generally about 80% of The Hangar, which means they are quite good.  They are never as good as The Hangar, but part of the problem is that Wings Over are exclusively delivery operations so the wings are never as fresh as getting them served to you at the restaurant.  When they sit in a box for 30 minutes, the steam condensates on the ceiling of the box and then drips back onto the wings, reducing the key slightly crispy texture you get at the hangar.  Yes, some Wings Over locations have 1 or 2 tables but they\'re not meant to be comfy places to eat, and this affects the experience.  Hey, some Dominos have tables too, but you don\'t eat there.  Not putting them down at all though...if you have a Wings Over in your town, you can definitely count on it for very very good wings.  I ate WO West Hartford for a year, WO Somerville, MA for 2, and WO Brookline, MA for one.  The quality is very consistent, and they are highly recommended, especially to any Hangar regulars who have left UMass and need a fix.      

BWW...yeah, they are not very good.  Their food isn\'t that good and their restaurant concept offers nothing new.  Just a lot of TVs, the usual 16 beers on tap that you can get anywhere in America, and meh wings.  That\'s like every bar in the USA.  Really, they are doing with wings what Budweiser does with beer or McDonald\'s does with hamburgers; if you dumb down the concept enough and can scream that this is a good product loudly enough, you can convince a lot of people to believe it.  That\'s just the way it works.  BWW wings are some lowest-common-denominator BS.  But hey, if you can convince hundreds of thousands of people to consume it and also make them believe it is a high quality product, then is it not a high quality product by definition?  And I\'m not knocking them for doing it either...more power to you if you can pull it off.  And more room for me to eat at The Hangar with a heady craft beer : )
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:18:49 pm by Wolfman »

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »
prime 16 is a great pregame place

great beers

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;209873

i\'ll definitely give porky\'s a shot. maybe next thursday before the dew?

as to this show, i\'ll be at girl talk in MA, so maybe someone else could wear my "they\'re not wings!!!!" shirt.

BTW I would definitely head to this show were I not headed to Girl Talk.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:16 pm »
IMHO sending someone from CT to the Hanger purely for wings (no show in the area or something to that effect) when there are plenty of damn close enough quality wings in the local area with all the Wings Over locations in CT.  :shrug:  I guess that was my only point.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 10:26:44 pm »
I think it needs to be clarified that this particular location of Buffalo Wild Wings is especially awful. I\'ve eaten at another location where it was just passable.  The downtown New Haven location is absolutely dispicable and quite possibly the worst restaraunt food I\'ve ever had in my life.

That, said I\'ll be there. Just not eating
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.