Author Topic: The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 63490 times)

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #585 on: November 06, 2007, 04:32:33 pm »
Kevin Youkilis wins AL Gold Glove!

Yooouuuuuuk!

Also, sounds like Schilling will be back next year, along with Wakefield and tavarez, but I\'m assuming you guys already knew that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:53:11 pm by jocelyn »
Masturbation in the MFA

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #586 on: November 06, 2007, 04:46:40 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;167005

Ok, so a question for yankee fans/anyone who would know:
We just cut some stuff with broll of torre getting a large paperweight type award and he was holding it in his left hand. The reporters were all taking pictures, blablabla. One of the reporters asked him to put it in his other arm and he said "I can\'t do that" he then turned so that he was holding it on the other side, but still holding it with his left hand, the right one just balancing the back of it.

No one here could figure it out. Is there something wrong with his right arm? It looks like the award would only weight about 10-15lbs at most (all glass, about the size of a extra large soda)

Maybe he hurt it smacking his wife around.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #587 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »
Pettite hightailed it away from the Yankees today, the same day Schilling re-signed with the Red Sox.  I guess it\'s pretty obvious which team people would rather be with.  A-Rod, Torre, Pettite, Daddy George...they can\'t run from the Yankees any faster.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #588 on: November 12, 2007, 05:39:11 pm »
Dustin Pedroia has been named the 2007 American League Rookie of the Year.

Masturbation in the MFA

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #589 on: November 13, 2007, 01:12:35 am »
just saw that myself very well deserved.  Congrats Dustin.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:29 pm »
CC Sebathia won the AL CY Young award.  I think Beckett got robbed even though he came in 2nd in voting.  But Sabathia certainly had a great regular season, and he deserves it.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #591 on: November 14, 2007, 01:07:26 am »
Quote from: Me!;168847
CC Sebathia won the AL CY Young award.  I think Beckett got robbed even though he came in 2nd in voting.  But Sabathia certainly had a great regular season, and he deserves it.

Beckett was absolutely robbed! Congrats To DP though, he had a hell of a 1st season and I think he will only improve. This kid deseves ser respect in MLB.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #592 on: November 14, 2007, 06:31:52 am »
Agreed, Beckett was robbed.
Hopefully this will be motivation for him to do even better next year.

Also, I am opening a bet on Jacoby "My Favorite Beaver" Elsbury to be Rookie of the Year next year.

Also, this board is biased.

Quote from: jocelyn;168615
Dustin Pedroia has been named the 2007 American League Rookie of the Year.

Too bad none of those pictures show him falling over as he swings.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:31:52 am by tyzack »
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #593 on: November 14, 2007, 09:31:23 am »
Player A
241 IP over 34 starts
19-7
3.21 ERA
209 K
27 BB
1.14 WHIP

Player B
200.2 IP over 30 starts
20-7
3.27 ERA
194 K
40 BB
1.14 WHIP

Which one would you pick?

Quote from: tyzack;168863
Also, this board is biased.

I really don\'t see how you can say Beckett was robbed. The only stat he has over Sabathia is one more win. Sabathia ate up more innings to rest the bullpen (though he managed 4 more starts), he had a lower ERA even though its only a difference of 0.06, he had 15 more K and 13 less BB. I wouldn\'t call it a no-brainer decision but it\'s pretty obvious who deserved the AL Cy Young.

Come on Red Sox fans, you don\'t have to complain about every single thing that doesn\'t go your way.
Smell my mule.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #594 on: November 14, 2007, 01:46:45 pm »

Quote from: booztravlr;168868
Come on Red Sox fans, you don\'t have to complain about every single thing that doesn\'t go your way.

as I said sabathia certainly deserved it, it\'s just watching Beckett pitch he is a cy young calibur pither.  Especially when you consider both of their post season performances, Beckett blew Sabathia away.  CC choked hard, while Beckett came through brialliantly.  I know it\'s not about the post season, but it certainly shows something.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #595 on: November 14, 2007, 01:54:57 pm »
Since the post season doesn\'t come into consideration, it makes sence that CC won the Cy Young award, he does have slightly better stats but we all know who the superior pitcher is. Congrats to CC, (always makes me think of Parliment\'s Chocolate City) And congrats to Beckett for being THE ALCS MVP.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #596 on: November 14, 2007, 02:18:25 pm »
Quote from: Me!;168894

Quote from: booztravlr;168868

as I said sabathia certainly deserved it, it\'s just watching Beckett pitch he is a cy young calibur pither.  Especially when you consider both of their post season performances, Beckett blew Sabathia away.  CC choked hard, while Beckett came through brialliantly.  I know it\'s not about the post season, but it certainly shows something.

This is where your logic is flawed. The Cy Young award is for regular season pitching in which C.C. had a better year.

Really, who gives a shit, you have the World Series trophy.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #597 on: November 14, 2007, 04:05:57 pm »
I think Sabbathia absolutely deserved it. Beckett did as well, but looking at the regular season I think likely made the correct decision. I was pretty sure he was going to get it. Anyhow... Beckett will be just fine without added accolades.
Masturbation in the MFA

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #598 on: November 14, 2007, 04:34:16 pm »
From 10-29-2007

Quote from: wildcoyote;166401

A-Rod- whew.  Where to begin?  What a classless dick move making the annoucement in the World Series.  It was also incredibly stupid.  Correct me if I\'m wrong Boston fans, but could you accept letting MVP Lowell go to overpay the man who just pissed on your parade?

So NYY are out.  Boston is presumably out.  The Mets are out (A-Rod wouldn\'t be safe in NY and the Mets are pretty set at 3B and SS).  There goes the 3 biggest spenders in the game.

Who\'s left?  The Dodgers? Anaheim? SF?  A Chicago team?  I hope Boras gets bitch slapped on this.  You eliminate the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry from the bidding and your free agent market plumets. Be patient GM\'s.  At this point he needs you more than you need him.

To today

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez spoke with the Yankees on Wednesday, telling them he wanted to explore whether he could work out a deal to return to New York.

Members of the Steinbrenner family and top team officials participated in the discussion, according to a person familiar with the talks who spoke on condition of anonymity because the club didn\'t make any announcement.

Rodriguez, who opted out of his contract last month and became a free agent, said he wanted to talk with the Steinbrenner family before he started discussions with other franchises and that he wanted to remain with the Yankees. It was not immediately known whether the discussion took place in person or by telephone. His agent, Scott Boras, did not participate.

The Yankees were approached by a third-party intermediary several days ago who said Rodriguez wanted to speak with the Steinbrenners, and the team at first wondered whether the message was serious. Before Rodriguez terminated his record $252 million, 10-year contract on Oct. 28, Boras told the Yankees they would have to make a $350 million offer to get a meeting with the third baseman.

By opting out of the contract, Rodriguez forfeited the $72 million he was guaranteed by the Yankees for 2008-10. In turn, the Rangers were relieved of their obligation to pay New York $21.3 million, a subsidy agreed to as part of the 2004 trade that sent A-Rod to the Yankees.

Rodriguez told the Yankees he understood what he would have to do if he wanted to rejoin the team: Make up for the subsidy from Texas that New York lost what he opted out.

Before Rodriguez opted out, the Yankees were prepared to make an initial extension offer of four or five years with an average yearly salary of $25 million to $30 million.

After he became a free agent, many possible suitors said they weren\'t interested. The Los Angeles Angels were an exception, saying they\'d like to speak with Rodriguez.

Scott Boras :sigh:  When baseball\'s best player has to extend an olive branch after his agent burns bridges, it is a sorry state of affairs.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #599 on: November 14, 2007, 04:47:01 pm »
youkilis shaved his goatee. looks like a little kid.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke