Author Topic: Billy Breathes totally made my day....  (Read 2872 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Billy Breathes totally made my day....
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:54:17 pm »
So I fix printers for a modest living. Some people assume this is some kind of cool high tech job when I say this: It is not. These are printers that Taco Bell and K-Mart use to print out your receipts. And other shitty obselete printers.

My specialty is fixing the print head, which if you don\'t know, is the part that goes back and forth and fires pins onto the ribbon, putting ink on the paper. Any printer that is not a total piece of crap doesn\'t have this anymore.

So anyway they give me like 50 or 200 or howevermany of these things to fix, and there\'s all different kinds. I get to clean them out, replace bent pins, lube \'em up, resolder all the connections, replace busted parts, put them back together and test them. That\'s pretty much my job.

So anyway....

I\'ve been workin on this one batch of a real-pain-in-the-ass kind of printhead for the last week and when you\'re sitting there in the same place for 8 hours every day and these frickin things just don\'t wanna get fixed and you take em apart and put em back together so many times it gets really ANNOYING!!!

drives me to drink

.... So luckily I got a sweet mp3 player like a month ago and this thing has been saving my ass at work, because I can put on chill tunes and it totally relaxes me and makes the time fly by.

Today I was in a wicked pissed mood after trying to fix the same printhead like 15 times in a row, and I needed some music to chill me out. Put on Phish\'s BILLY BREATHES

is this the best album of all time or what? At least Phish\'s best album. For real though, this album is beautiful. It put me in a pretty good mood and made me all nostalgic blah blah blah

My prescription for all of you is threefold: ***** + Headphones + Billy Breathes

rediscover this gem :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
:wah:

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:44:08 pm »
Always been a fan of that album.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:29:53 pm »
more a fan of the song itself than the album as a whole, but it\'s still pretty damn good.

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 06:37:41 pm »
sweet blog.  
no, but for ser I love that shit too.
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 06:43:47 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;126193
My prescription for all of you is threefold: ***** + Headphones + Billy Breathes

rediscover this gem :)

haha the threesome that can be single-handedly blamed for my D in organic chemistry 4 years ago :P

but for real, its certainly a great, relaxing album... I read in the Phish Companion that Billy Breathes is actually a rock opera.... seems a bit farfetched (involving a man falling in love with a TV and such) but still is pretty interesting...
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 07:43:31 pm »
1.story of the ghost
2.billy breathes
3.rift
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 08:07:21 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;126210
more a fan of the song itself than the album as a whole, but it\'s still pretty damn good.

Yeah this was actually the first Phish song I heard while knowing that it was actually Phish.

I think around 94 or 95 I heard "Bouncing Around the Room" but had no idea who that funky shit was. And I was too young to really care.

But man the first time I heard Billy Breathes.... like, holy guitar solo, mang! Bliss+BillyBreathes are best left together.

..... Princess I can\'t believe that\'s supposed to be a rock opera, no thought even remotely resembling that notion had ever occurred to me!

Ghost and Rift are frickin awesome too but Billy Breathes takes my cake. This album changed my life more than any other album, straight up... what I at first thought was some beautiful songwriting and mesmerizing guitar soon became a way of life ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 08:14:43 pm »
BB was the Phish album I got into them on - there was a German concert from that tour I caught late night after the pub. I went straight into town on the Monday to buy the disc.

I too think Rift is better, but BB is one I often return to. SOTG took me a while to get into, but it\'s creeping up. I never did buy Round Room (only one I didn\'t buy on import) as I lost interest after hearing a few bad post-hiatus shows - is it worth getting?
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

peaches626

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 08:34:40 pm »
Quote from: boombox;126222
is it worth getting?

pebbles and marbles is awesome as the first track... after that i can sort of take it or leave it... its a real loose album, you can tell they made it in like a day and a half or something, but there are some cool moments
taints rule, gypsies drool!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 03:35:07 am »
Well seeing as Billy Breathes is a song Trey wrote about/for his 1st daughter and the album has been described by Trey as a conceptual(sp?) suite in music only I think it does not qualify as a Rock Opera so much.
This was the first album that made most of my cynical deadhead friends take notice of this quirky band I was raving about all the time.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 06:28:12 pm »
yea billy breathes is good stuff.  Ain\'t nothin quite like a snowy winter afternoon, a fat bowl, some blankets and hot chocolate, and billy breathes....

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 12:57:04 pm »
Maybe I am not as heady as the rest of you but I like Rift, Hoist, Farmhouse, Round Room, and Undermind better than Billy Breathes....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:28 pm »
they are all great...I think pretty much any phish cd is worth getting.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 01:04:22 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;126392
Maybe I am not as heady as the rest of you but I like Rift, Hoist, Farmhouse, Round Room, and Undermind better than Billy Breathes....

I love ya Gencs, but I thought Round Room was shit right outta the horses ass.  Pebbles and Marbles has IMHO the worst studio Phish jam ever.  

But to each their own....
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon