Author Topic: Phish Coventry Media Update (Hope everyone made it in time)  (Read 8221 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Phish Coventry Media Update (Hope everyone made it in time)
« on: August 14, 2004, 10:49:45 am »
August 14, 2004 - Coventry, VT - As a direct result of the severe
weather conditions and serious flooding encountered over the past few days, the Vermont State Police and concert organizers, in the interest of public safety, have been forced to limit entry in to the COVENTRY festival this weekend. After exploring all possible options, Police and organizers have concluded that there is no conceivable way to park the remaining vehicles on or in the near vicinity of the concert site, due to the conditions of the grounds as a direct result of the persistent and torrential rains over the
past several days.

Effective immediately, all vehicles bound for the concert site not already off Interstate 91 will be turned around and denied entrance to the festival. In addition, roadblocks at additional points of entry have been set up and State Police will be ensuring that people can turn around in a safe and efficient manner.  

All ticket holders denied entry to the site will be granted a full
refund. Ticket refunds will be refunded directly to credit card holders who have purchased tickets from Ticketmaster and from Phish\'s online ticketing system. Further details on refunds will be announced in the coming days.

While Phish deeply regrets having to take this action, it is necessary
to protect fans as well as residentsof the greater Coventry area.

WOW, have to say I am now glad that I was lazy and didn\'t get a ticket. Feel pretty bad for everyone who has to be turned down, especially the people who bought their tickets on eBay, have fun trying to get a refund. Hope everyone from this site made it in time. Anyone else think a riot or protest of some sort may ensue? I\'m thinking if people were to do something silly they would just stay parked on I-91, there aren\'t enough VT State Troopers to arrest them all. . .
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 11:35:41 am »
Wow A Phish festival that is actually having problems. They had such a great record of pulling these off. I guess God is pissed their breaking up huh?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 11:57:33 am »
:holyshit:

Coventry is FUCKED!  Oh no!  Apparently fans are ditching the cars and walking.  Here\'s another article posted 5 minutes ago.

Stymied By Mud, Police Turn Back Phish Fans
Roadblocks Up On I-91

POSTED: 11:12 am EDT August 14, 2004
UPDATED: 11:35 am EDT August 14, 2004

COVENTRY, Vt. -- With hundreds of cars stuck in the mud and more pouring in from many directions, Vermont State Police on Saturday started turning back traffic headed to the Phish festival, and telling ticketholders they would get refunds but no admittance.

Police erected a roadblock on Interstate 91 and other roads on Saturday morning and told fans headed to the two-day festival at the Newport State Airport to turn around.

"Because of the heavy rains, parking inside the festival site has basically become impossible, and they\'re concerned for peoples\' safety," said Adam Lewis, a spokesman for the concert promoter, Great Northeast Productions, said Saturday.

All ticket holders denied entry to the site will get their money back, the promoter said in a statement.

The promise of a refund was no comfort to fans stopped on Interstate 91 Saturday, many of whom abandoned their vehicles and headed out on foot for the concert site, about a dozen miles from the nearest exit.

"There is no way I am not going to try to get in," said Erika Sander of Blodgett, Oregon, who flew to Manchester, N.H., and rented a car to drive to the show. She left the car on the side of the road and started walking to the concert Saturday.

"There\'s no way I\'m going to be defeated," Sander said.

A law enforcement official who asked not to be named said tow trucks had been sent to the highway to remove the abandoned cars.

The Coventry Phish concert Saturday and Sunday is the band\'s last, and 70,000 people bought tickets to attend. Many thousands more were expected to show up without tickets.

By Friday, Interstate 91 was backed up for 15 miles with fans in cars trying to get to the site. Other roads were also clogged. Heavy rains Thursday and Friday turned the campgrounds into quagmires, and local residents with tractors were busy pulling stuck cars from the mud.

Police said they decided to stop concertgoers from arriving because the ground was too waterlogged for driving or for camping.

On Saturday morning the weather had turned fair, with sun and patches of blue sky. But more rain was expected Sunday as Hurricane Charley passed by to the south.

link: http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/3654355/detail.html

Will Phish, in all their infinite kindness and good vibes, launch Sympathy Tour 2004?  Perhaps a Coventry ticket can be traded for any 3 tickets on the tour?  WHAT DO THEY DO?  Discuss!

Wolfman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 12:11:56 pm »
Oh no, and Phish told everyone not to come until Saturday morning!  Trey announced it at Camden Thursday night and it\'s been up on the website.  Now they\'re  really up shit creek.  Oh no, oh no.  Not only will refunds not placate anyone, but it\'s practically a slap in the face for those who:

1. Traveled hundreds or thousands of miles
2. Spent way more than $150 on the ticket
3. Were told by the band not to go until Saturday morning!

This is the doozie to end all doozies.  The proportions of this doozie\'s epicness are incomprehensible to the mortal mind.  On a scale of 1-10, the number is so high that I don\'t even know how to say it.  (What comes after trillion...gazillion?)  God save Coventry and everyone involved.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 12:47:32 pm »
i\'m just thinkin about those fools who spent 400+ on ebay....who\'s gonna get that refund now????  My guess is the seller on ebay because that\'s where the credit card number came from
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

leith

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 12:48:20 pm »
If it wasn\'t the rain it would have been something else. Spending a weekend in the mud no matter who was playing is not really appealing to me in any way. I hope Phish sticks to their guns and this is it. If they play after this to "make up for the weather",that\'s Bull !! Rain or Shine ever hear of it? For those that made it great have fun in the mud. For those that got turned away bummer. Chances you take i guess. Weather Report for the NINE? Raining Beer!

Wolfman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 01:41:06 pm »
Originally posted by weekapaug19
i\'m just thinkin about those fools who spent 400+ on ebay....who\'s gonna get that refund now????  My guess is the seller on ebay because that\'s where the credit card number came from

Holy cow, that\'s an interesting point!  However, I don\'t think they will refund to the credit card numbers that ordered.  They cannot refund everyone who bought with a credit card because many of them are actually in the show.  They also cannot possibly refund everyone with a credit card number and everyone who mails in a ticket beacause they would end up refunding more tickets than actually exist.  Therefore, they\'ll probably refund face value only to those who mail in tickets.

Wolfman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 03:42:07 pm »
Originally posted by Wolfman
This is the doozie to end all doozies.  The proportions of this doozie\'s epicness are incomprehensible to the mortal mind.  On a scale of 1-10, the number is so high that I don\'t even know how to say it.  (What comes after trillion...gazillion?)  God save Coventry and everyone involved.

Of course, this doozie is merely miniscule minutiae compared to the doozie of devastating damage in Florida from the hurricane, so God save them too.  Coventry is affecting people we actually know so we think of that first, but Florida is a much worse situation.  Man, imagine if the Phish fest was being held in Big Cypress...

leith

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 04:02:30 pm »
THAT would be a catastrophe of epic proportions. As for Coventry, the people there, other than being neck deep in mud are just fine.

leith

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 05:19:28 pm »
Just heard that Mike announced on "The Bunny" Coventry Radio this morning that this will not be the last shows due to the situation. I have been unable to get a confirmation just yet but sounds like due to having to close the gates and shutting out 10\'s of thousands most due to Trey telling everyone not to show until today they will make it up somehow. Can not wait to see what they come up with.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 09:27:49 pm »
Originally posted by leith
Just heard that Mike announced on "The Bunny" Coventry Radio this morning that this will not be the last shows due to the situation.

we heard mike on the bunny this morning. he most certainly did not say that.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 12:55:47 am »
the quote from Mike on The Bunny was that the band is "brainstorming ideas of a way to make this up to the fans". Okay, that\'s not the EXACT quote but is close enough.

And Wolf, you are exactly right, and I feel like an ass now for posting this, but the problem in Florida is much much bigger than this, I have family down there, and thankfully they did not get the big destructing part of the storm. May god bless the families and friends of those who got steam rolled.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

leith

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 03:02:36 am »
Originally posted by leith
Just heard that Mike announced on "The Bunny" Coventry Radio this morning that this will not be the last shows due to the situation. I have been unable to get a confirmation just yet but sounds like due to having to close the gates and shutting out 10\'s of thousands most due to Trey telling everyone not to show until today they will make it up somehow. Can not wait to see what they come up with.

Originally posted by davepeck

we heard mike on the bunny this morning. he most certainly did not say that.

And there\'s my confirmation! Thank you Dave. I personally hope they just end it with these shows. They certainly have no obligation to "make up" anything to the fans. Weather can not be controlled,well unless you happen to be Grateful Dead. I can not count the many many times they seemed able to stave off inclement weather until the show was over. Vegas,Eugene, Phoenix,Sacramento the list goes on. Anyways let this horrible situation just enter Phish lore and be done with it already.
 War Coventry mud fairies!

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 03:03:50 am »
Thr Bunny blew last year and blows now....

"why isn\'t it Friday today?"
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 03:06:43 am »
Originally posted by Stephengencs
Thr Bunny blew last year and blows now....

"why isn\'t it Friday today?"

Because it\'s SUNDAY bro!