Author Topic: Trey on Zappa  (Read 1727 times)

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
Trey on Zappa
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:31:50 pm »
i thought this was pretty sick, mainly because i\'m a huge zappa fan.  check it :

2/12/79 from the SBD

and some Trey musings:
Frank Zappa by Trey Anastasio
April 25, 2005 - Rollingstone
By Trey Anastasio

Rollingstone\'s "Top 100 Artists"

71) Frank Zappa by Trey Anastasio of Phish

In the early years of Phish, people often said we were like "Frank Zappa meets the Grateful Dead" -- which sounds very bizarre. But Zappa was incredibly vital to me, as a composer and guitarist. I think he was the best electric-guitar player, other than Jimi Hendrix. Zappa conceptualized the instrument in a completely different way, rhythmically and sonically. Every boundary that was possible on the guitar was examined by him.

I\'ll never forget the first time I saw him live, in New York, when I was in high school. He would leave his guitar on a stand as he conducted the band. He would get the keyboard player doing a riff, get him in key, while he was smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, pacing around as he got this groove going. And he would not pick up the guitar until everything was totally together. There would be this moment -- this collective breath from the audience -- as he walked over, picked it up and started playing the most ripping, beautiful solo. When he played, he was in communion with the instrument.

Another thing that was very cool: His interplay was always with drummers. In a lot of jam-style guitar playing, the drummer sets off a groove, and the guitarist riffs off another guitarist or keyboard player. I saw Zappa at Memorial Auditorium in Burlington, Vermont, on his last tour, in 1988. He did this guitar solo in "City of Tiny Lites" where everybody in the band dropped out except drummer Chad Wackerman. I was in the balcony near the side of the stage. When Zappa turned his back on the audience to play with Chad, I saw this huge smile on his face. They were ripping together, and he was blissed out.

But it says so much about Zappa that this was also the guy who did orchestral pieces like The Yellow Shark. It\'s hard to believe somebody could do so many different things in a lifetime.

Zappa was a huge influence on how I wrote music for Phish. Songs like "You Enjoy Myself" and "Split Open and Melt" were completely charted out -- drums, bass lines, everything -- because he had shown me it was possible. And when I went to Bonnaroo two years ago with my ten-piece band, we did two covers, Charlie Daniels\' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and "Sultans of Swing," by Dire Straits. In both songs, I had the horn section play the guitar solos, note for note. I never would have thought of doing that if I hadn\'t seen Zappa do "Stairway to Heaven" in Burlington, with the horns playing Jimmy Page\'s entire guitar solo, in harmony.

That\'s not what people are doing these days. I\'m making a new album, and the producer I\'m working with told me that there is a whole generation of musicians coming up who can\'t play their instruments. Because of stuff like Pro Tools, they figure they can fix it all in the studio. Whereas with Frank, his musicians were pushed to the absolute brink of possibility on their instruments, at all times. Phish tried hard to do that too: to take our four little instruments and do as much as we could with them. I would not have envisioned those possibilities without him.

Zappa gave me the faith that anything in music was possible. He demystified the whole thing for musicians in my generation: "Look, these are just instruments. Find out what the range is, and start writing."

link to some show: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dh7mww
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:46:10 pm by bezerker »
*Gia*

galenas

• Global Moderator
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:16 pm »
that was awesome! thanks for posting.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »
great stuff Gabo.  Thanks for posting.  Can\'t wait to hear "some show".

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:59 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;218458

i thought it was for the show trey was at, but it takes place in manchester uk.  the show is sick tho.  super clean soundboard brah
*Gia*

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:40 am »
Great read. Thanks for the posting, Gabo.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:22:08 am »
Quote from: bezerker;218492

i thought it was for the show trey was at, but it takes place in manchester uk.  the show is sick tho.  super clean soundboard brah

I gave it a quick sample before heading off to work this AM, sounds great.  Wish I had time to transfer it to my MP3 player, would have been nice to listen to today.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:14 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;218504

I gave it a quick sample before heading off to work this AM, sounds great.  Wish I had time to transfer it to my MP3 player, would have been nice to listen to today.

When was the last time you put something new on that MP3?

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:37 am »
Quote from: Spacey;218507

Couple days ago I added Phish 07-20-91 Arrowhead Ranch, Parksville, NY (With The Giant Country Horns... thanks Mamalaka).

Early last week I added Derek Trucks new album, and the week before I added TB\'s Daniel St and Mill St. shows.  Oh yeah, I also recently added the newest Conor Oberst and Drive By Truckers albums.

Smartin\' up.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:02:53 am by SlimPickens »

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:02:47 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;218508

Couple days ago I added Phish 07-20-91 Arrowhead Ranch, Parksville, NY (With The Giant Country Horns... thanks Mamalaka).

Early last week I added Derek Trucks new album, and the week before I added TB\'s Daniel St and Mill St. shows.

Smartin\' up.

Smarten up? Not impressed.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:09:08 am »
Quote from: Spacey;218509

Early last week I added Derek Trucks new album, and the week before I added TB\'s Daniel St and Mill St. shows.

Smartin\' up.

Ha!  Would have been nice if we had it driving up to RI a couple weeks ago in your car.  Instead we listened to the radio, like it was 1976.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 10:13:36 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;218511
Quote from: Spacey;218509

Smartin\' up.

Ha!  Would have been nice if we had it driving up to RI a couple weeks ago in your car.  Instead we listened to the radio, like it was 1976.

I don\'t endorse technology.

If my company was not enough to satisfy you for the 75 minute drive then you should have brought your MP3 player.

I endorse repetitive radio.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:12:49 am »
this show (SBD) is already in the legal download thread courtesy of fwah. definitely sick, fuckin 79 bro!!!!
caress me, aunt jemima

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Trey on Zappa
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:43 am »

Either this is only a partial show, or my download got cut (my download cut after bolded section):

Apollo Theater, Manchester, England

01 intro
02 Persona Non Grata
03 Dead Girls Of London
04 Ain\'t Got No Heart
05 Brown Shoes Don\'t Make It
06 Cosmik Debris
07 Tryin\' To Grow A Chin
08 City Of Tiny Lights
09 Dancin\' Fool
10 Easy Meat
11 Jumbo Go Away