Author Topic: Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT  (Read 15391 times)

jefmcc

Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2007, 01:47:28 pm »
Monday bump.

Monday night at Osiris is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you\'re going to get.

Except in this case you know you\'re going to get a ton of great music.

Steve Clarke is on bass tonight to funk up the fusion with freakishy fine fidelity.

Check him out:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=24734162
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:50:35 pm by jefmcc »

bellbottomtear

• LLama LLover
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »
Cool,Im listening to his songs on his songs he has on his myspace right now.Tonight will def. be a Blah Blah Collective NOT to be missed!:)

The Sanford and Son theme just popped in my head!Llloooovvvee that song!itd cool They could tear it up!I gotta listen to it now!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:11:11 pm by bellbottomtear »
"If it don\'t feel right you don\'t have to do it,
Just leave a message on the phone and tell them to screw it
After all is said and done you can\'t go pleasin\' everyone
So screw it"- John Lennon

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2007, 03:43:59 pm »
Per usual, 99% of you missed the Blah Blah last night.  Being part of the 1% that did not, I\'ve come to gloat at the treasure you missed.

I walked in to the last few minutes of a nasty Herbie Hancock "Chameleon" which of course caused me to kick myself for having that "one more beer" before heading to the valley.

The line up:  Adrian, George, Matt and a new bass man, I don\'t have a name, however this guy was nasty.  For the purposes of this review I will call him King Vibrato.  There was also a guy that looked like my junior high shop teacher playing alto (?) sax.

Ya know how sometimes when the drum or bass solo\'s occur, the rest of the band sorta walks away from the stage to chat up some honey, or turns and fiddles with their own nobs.  Last night this band was so tight that there was very little drum/ bass solo break down.  Matt & George would stayed dialed in for the whole solo, adding some dynamite sounds that took these solo\'s to a new level.

It was Matt\'s birthday last night, as presents, his girl came down and added some sweet jazz vocals for a song in the second set.  He also gifted himself by covering a ballad off "a record that he once owned, but lost, but he really loved that song and wanted to hear it again..."

The real treasure of the evening came at set break.  When it was realized that both Adrian\'s star pupile Caitlain and Casey\'s (of Hubinger St. fame) 18 year old guitar student/ virtuoso were sitting 5 feet from each other.  Permission slips were signed and the two yutes climbed on stage with Matt and King Vibrato for 3 blazing instrumentals.  This grouping actually got the barmaids, and regulars to come and watch the next generation of Connecticuts finest rip through some material.

This was some of the tightest playing from the Blah Blah that I\'ve ever seen.  King Vibrato was a great fill in.... addition (?), I hope to see more of him.  George took his game to a higher plane last night and Adrian was a man possessed.  Musical highlight of the night for me might have been their cover of The Meter\'s "Cissy Strut" but then again that Freedom Jazz Dance was pretty nasty.

But never fear.  Ken, his camera, and his new GARGANTUAN light rig were also in attendance. Next time you see him, try and snag a copy.  This is a real gem for the collection.

p.s. - after further review King Vibrato = S. Clarke
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:49:28 pm by SlimPickens »

Kaliguitar

« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2007, 04:08:03 pm »
SLIM>I agree with your review....it was some great playing!!  Mr. Steve Clark is the NEW Blah bassist.  Mikey N. has decided to step aside for now.  

The young guitarist was Sam Blanchette. He and Caitlin "rocked" the place or should I say "Jazzed"??? Matt was in top form as usual and so was Adrian, George and Steve.  

Listen up people.......IF YOU HAVEN\'T BEEN DOWN TO SEE THIS BAND YOU\'RE MISSING SOMETHING SPECIAL!!!!  OK..now I\'ll quiet down again....it\'s definitely worth the trip to the valley.  

By the way....I am Chris, aka Caitlin\'s dad.  We\'ve been sharing the "Caitlindrums" name for a while so I created my own.  Hope to see you all at a gig soon.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
I\'ll go if someone can write out a setlist so I know what to expect. As much as I love Matt and Adrian, I\'ve heard enough fusion staples like "Chameleon" and "Cissy Strut" to last me thousands of lifetimes.....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2007, 04:27:19 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;156627
I\'ll go if someone can write out a setlist so I know what to expect. As much as I love Matt and Adrian, I\'ve heard enough fusion staples like "Chameleon" and "Cissy Strut" to last me thousands of lifetimes.....

:ass:

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2007, 04:30:40 pm »
Have we answered the question, why does Ken have a light rig?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2007, 04:34:15 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;156629
Quote from: TreyChica;156627

:ass:

Fuck you man, I was stating a preference.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2007, 04:52:05 pm »
Relax guy. I was merely calling out your preference as weak sauce... be it, not in a very mature manner.  

If Ken needs GARGANTUAN lights to achieve his vision.  Let the man do it.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2007, 04:56:18 pm »
Joe-I GUARANTEE you anything they play is not a "staple", even if the title is!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2007, 05:12:07 pm »
Quote from: Mark;156635

bingo!  the songs are merely launching pads.  I don\'t watch/listen to jazz for the song selection.  It\'s to see what a serious musician can do given the right vehicle (ie a group of equally talented musicians).

I\'d pay to see Coltrane & Monk do a selection of Wiggles songs.

Kaliguitar

« Reply #326 on: August 29, 2007, 09:35:50 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;156637
Quote from: Mark;156635

bingo!  the songs are merely launching pads.  I don\'t watch/listen to jazz for the song selection.  It\'s to see what a serious musician can do given the right vehicle (ie a group of equally talented musicians).

I\'d pay to see Coltrane & Monk do a selection of Wiggles songs.

Launching pad is right.....First, even if the songs starts as a standard jazz jam tune (ie:Chameleon) it rarely stays that way for long....they take the song so far sometimes that it would be hard to recognize it...it\'s always a unique journey.  Second...if you hear the word "jazz" sometimes you might picture Adrian riding the cymbal while the bass walks the groove....NOT.  These tunes get as funky or spacey or rockin\' or sometimes jazzy as music can get.  

As far as a set list.....that\'s like saying were all going to meet out at a bar tonight to have a conversation but I\'m not coming unless I know what we\'re going to be talking about.  These guys just get up and have a musical conversation....

But if need a few examples:  I walked in a few weeks to the band playing Led Zep\'s "Black Dog"....very cool instrumental version.  This past Monday, Matt started playing song...no one knew what he was doing but they all joined in.  Matt said at the end.." I used to have that song on a record but I lost it.  I wanted to hear it again so....."  LOL...He wanted to hear it so they played it.  You never know what to expect....Stevie Wonder, Blues, a jazz standard, a space jam, Adrian playing on the mirrors, Matt break dancing, George ripping ala Holdsworth, special guests...sax, trumpet, chromatic harmonica, singers, dancers........

Blah Blah is a great name.....hope to see more people there.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:38 am »
The only thing sligtly attractive in your description was Holdsworth....

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2007, 11:05:57 am »
i will definatley be there this monday if it\'s scheduled
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:34:22 pm by DocEllis70 »
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Kaliguitar

« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2007, 01:49:12 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;156683
The only thing sligtly attractive in your description was Holdsworth....

well....the response speaks for itself.  It\'s probably best if you don\'t check out Blah Blah.  It doesn\'t seem like your type of music.  That\'s cool.

Peace  :)

Quote from: DocEllis70;156690
i will definatley be there this monday if it\'s scheduled

Even with the Holiday...it\'s still on.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:49:12 pm by Kaliguitar »