Author Topic: The 2008-09 NBA thread  (Read 26634 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2009, 12:48:51 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;233610
enjoy the offseason. don\'t know if you read bill simmons (boston guy/laker hater), but he just posted a pretty interesting article about kobe\'s "transformation" and the lakers\' season. he hits on some of the points you made (the emergence of pau/ariza/odom). but mostly it\'s about kobe not being a different player than last year...just a better cast around him. column

His main point seems to be "The Lakers were the best team in the NBA", which is kind of a given. I can\'t really argue with his points about Kobe, though. Simmons is so good when he isn\'t marking out for the Red Sox, Patriots or Celtics.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2009, 02:03:32 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;233578
This is probably an all sports question, but I\'ll ask it here... Why do fans have to riot and loot after a team wins a national championship in a sport?  I belive that this happened in LA over the past couple of days.  Doesn\'t make any sense to me...

Did you look at the photos of the offenders?  S. Central and 3rd worlders in abundance.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:59 pm »
Quote from: leith;233563
Well your Basketball knowledge is very suspect but why don\'t you go ahead and back that ridiculous claim.

Oh and that\'s an idiotic statement about seeing Phil win w/o a super star.

Name a coach that has.

Oh wait you can\'t.

You may think my knowledge of basketball is suspect, but its not. I\'ve been a basketball fan since 1984..... my peak years of obsession 1988-1999.   I\'ve recently gotten back into my love of it.  

Name a coach who has won without a superstar??

Easy  (but it all depends what YOU categorize as a super star)

San Antonio Spurs 1999 Championship......

Coach: Gregg Popovich

I don\'t consider David Robinson a Super Star. I found him highly overrated.

and again in 2003 Championship.........

I also don\'t consider Tony Parker a Super Star.

Not that I think Pop is the greatest coach in basketball history.....i do give him more credit, and possibly consider him a better coach.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;233635

Well your Basketball knowledge is very suspect but why don\'t you go ahead and back that ridiculous claim.

Name a coach that has.

Oh wait you can\'t.

You may think my knowledge of basketball is suspect, but its not. I\'ve been a basketball fan since 1984..... my peak years of obsession 1988-1999.   I\'ve recently gotten back into my love of it.  

Not that I think Pop is the greatest coach in basketball history.....i do give him more credit, and possibly consider him a better coach.

tim duncan has been the best big man for the last 10 years. i wouldn\'t consider him a superstar in the sense that he\'s not very flashy, but he has been first team all nba for like a decade straight.

the 2004 pistons won without a superstar and i\'m not even sure who their coach was...take that for what it\'s worth.
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2009, 03:49:57 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;233574

Just because you excel at the NCAA level does not transfer to success at the NBA level.

There for your 5 NCAA coaches that are way better than Jackson is really moot.

But please, name them.

This is not a knock or anything like that. Did you ever play HS or College sports?

I wasn\'t saying that NCAA level success translates into NBA success. I was stating that when it comes down to the game, the real game of basketball, i think there are NCAA coaches that have been better than Phil Jackson. I feel like NCAA basketball is basketball in its purest form.  

And no i did not play HS or College sports.    I went to a highly competitive high school when it came to sports.  I lost desire to play after freshman year because of a personal tragedy in my life, if you must ask.    My sports of choice to play were tennis and softball.
Had i not had a loss at 14, i would have probably went on to play hs and then college sports.

But i have been a sports fan since i could walk.

And now as you have all demanded, my 5 NCAA coaches (past and present)  i consider better coaches than Phil Jackson.

#1 John Wooden - my facts say he won 10 Championships with UCLA (7 in a row!)

#2 Bobby Knight  (even with all his chair throwing)

#3 Dean Smith (as much as I dislike the Tarheels)

#4 Geno Auriemma (this will be highly controversial to you all since he coaches Women, but you can\'t deny that he creates true basketball magic up there.  Why did I pick him over Jim Calhoun?  Its in the stats)

#5 Pat  Summit  (this will all make you flip i\'m sure.  Not only is she a woman, she coaches women.  But 8 Championships??? Come on!)

Sorry to get you guys all riled up, but  i seriously was sick of listening to all this Phil Jackson dick sucking. He isn\'t the greatest basketball coach of all time.

Sorry you had to hear it from a girl ;)

Quote from: zuke583;233637

Name a coach that has.

Oh wait you can\'t.

tim duncan has been the best big man for the last 10 years. i wouldn\'t consider him a superstar in the sense that he\'s not very flashy, but he has been first team all nba for like a decade straight.

the 2004 pistons won without a superstar and i\'m not even sure who their coach was...take that for what it\'s worth.

Actually, you beat me to it, Zuke.  I was saving that in case Leith came back saying the Spurs weren\'t a good enough example ;)

Pistons won in 04 and their coach was Larry Brown (right before he went to the Knicks for that horrible year)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:49:57 pm by SkyePrizm »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »
Just looking at the statistics, the only team to win a championship without a superstar would be the 47-48 Baltimore Bullets; their highest scorer was Kleggie Hermsen with an average of 12 PPG...  The only other teams in NBA championship history with team leader in points under 20 were the following:

50-51 Rochester / Arie Risen - 16.3 PPG (Hall of Famer)
03-04 Detroit / Richard Hamilton - 17.6 PPG
88-89 Detroit / Adrian Dantley - 18.4 PPG (Hall of Famer)
89-90 Detroit / Isiah Thomas - 18.4 PPG (Hall of Famer)
54-55 Syracuse / Adoplh Schayes - 19.0 PPG (Hall of Famer)
75-76 Boston / Dave Cowens - 19.0 PPG (Hall of Famer)
78-79 Seattle / Gus Williams - 19.2 PPG
52-53 Minneapolis / George Mikan - 19.6 PPG (Hall of Famer)
07-08 Boston / Paul Pierce - 19.6 PPG
62-63 Boston / Sam Jones - 19.7 PPG (Hall of Famer)
77-78 Washington / Elvin Hayes - 19.7 PPG (Hall of Famer)
53-54 Minneapolis / George Mikan - 19.9 PPG (Hall of Famer)
63-64 Boston / John Havlicek - 19.9 PPG (Hall of Famer)
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:04 pm »
^^^ wow ryan, you went waaaaay back.   ;)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:09 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;233640
And now as you have all demanded, my 5 NCAA coaches (past and present)  i consider better coaches than Phil Jackson.

#4 Geno Auriemma (this will be highly controversial to you all since he coaches Women, but you can\'t deny that he creates true basketball magic up there.  Why did I pick him over Jim Calhoun?  Its in the stats)

#5 Pat  Summit  (this will all make you flip i\'m sure.  Not only is she a woman, she coaches women.  But 8 Championships??? Come on!)

ok that\'s 3 (and i\'m throwing you a bone with dean smith and bobby knight)
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2009, 09:57:06 pm »
I find your arguments shallow and pedantic.

Actually what I enjoy more is how opinion tried to passed off as a fact.

I really did enough these last few days talking about something I really don\'t care about. It\'s been fun. Til next season.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:57:06 pm by Spacey »
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:40 am »

Name a coach that has.

Oh wait you can\'t.

Oh yeah Tim Duncan and David Robinson were not superstars just perennial all stars.

Just because you do not consider those 2 superstars it does not make it fact.
People that actually do have real Basketball knowledge and get paid for their opinions consider them so.

I\'ll go with their opinions.

Quote from: SkyePrizm;233640
Quote from: Spacey;233574
Just because you excel at the NCAA level does not transfer to success at the NBA level.

There for your 5 NCAA coaches that are way better than Jackson is really moot.

But please, name them.

This is not a knock or anything like that. Did you ever play HS or College sports?

I wasn\'t saying that NCAA level success translates into NBA success. I was stating that when it comes down to the game, the real game of basketball, i think there are NCAA coaches that have been better than Phil Jackson. I feel like NCAA basketball is basketball in its purest form.  

And no i did not play HS or College sports.    I went to a highly competitive high school when it came to sports.  I lost desire to play after freshman year because of a personal tragedy in my life, if you must ask.    My sports of choice to play were tennis and softball.
Had i not had a loss at 14, i would have probably went on to play hs and then college sports.

But i have been a sports fan since i could walk.

Sorry to get you guys all riled up, but  i seriously was sick of listening to all this Phil Jackson dick sucking. He isn\'t the greatest basketball coach of all time.

Sorry you had to hear it from a girl ;)

Well seeing as we are talking NBA coaches your response is unneeded but since you did. I\'ll give you John Wooden and Dean Smith that\'s it.

You give girls a bad name every time you post in this thread.

Quote from: zuke583;233637

Name a coach that has.

Oh wait you can\'t.

Yeah Chancey Billups who basically just turned the Denver Nuggets into a threat and won that Finals MVP is not superstar worthy neither was Ben Wallace at his peak.
:sarcasm:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:01:56 am by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2009, 10:39:15 am »
Leith, we could disagree till the beginning of next season.   So I will bow out of this, agreeing to disagree.

Congrats to your Lakers, but I still say Phil Jackson isn\'t the best basketball coach that ever lived.  

As Spacey said, Till Next Year....

Quote from: Spacey;233669

So basically just like the rest of the arguments, opinions, and rants on dot info...;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:39:15 am by SkyePrizm »

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:25 am »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;233728
Leith, we could disagree till the beginning of next season.   So I will bow out of this, agreeing to disagree.

Congrats to your Lakers, but I still say Phil Jackson isn\'t the best basketball coach that ever lived.  

So basically just like the rest of the arguments, opinions, and rants on dot info...;)

hahaha, very much in line.

This has really been fun.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2009, 12:05:51 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;233728

You could use a community college reading comprehension review.
Never said he was the best Basketball coach ever as a matter of fact the small consensus in this thread is that it\'s John Wooden.

However back to what started this and which you have not shown proof to argue is that Phil IS the best NBA basketball coach.

No matter what you think Phil has 10 rings and no other coach does.
That\'s FACT.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
The 2008-09 NBA thread
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »
Hilarious. Now if that doesn\'t make you proud to be a Lakers\' fan....