How should I upgrade?

ista
1 (10%)
P, it\'s cheaper, basically the same and stable
5 (50%)
nce you go mac, you never go back
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Windows Vista?  (Read 2868 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Windows Vista?
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:25:36 am »
So my computer sucks and I need to upgrade it (hence the reason no videos being edited, I can\'t ). Should I:
*Get Windows Vista™ Home Premium ($239 :wah:)
*Use my company discounts to get Windows XP Home Servicepack2 ($64)
*Suck it up and buy a mac I can\'t afford ($5K+)?

Usually I never buy a new product from microsoft, I always wait for the reviews and upgrades to come in (remember windows me! anyone? :shudder: ) Comments are welcome.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Windows Vista?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:13:19 am »
jill works in the computer biz and she was talking about all the things wrong with vista. like, all the things that are in xp but that they\'ve taken out of vista. vista is going to seriously limit the things that jill\'s company can do for their clients. clients who, btw, are currently marketing the everloving bejesus out of vista. oh the irony.....

besides, if you\'re doing video editing you should have had a mac years ago!

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:40:42 am »
yea, but I can\'t afford one. I\'d love to get an avid for home, but what can you do if you don\'t have the $? :shrug:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
Windows Vista?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:20 am »
While I love my MAC, if I were in your position, I\'d probably wait for all the bugs to be removed from Vista before investing in it.  IMO, if something ain\'t broke, there\'s no need to fix it
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:50:54 am »
Quote from: freespirit
if something ain\'t broke, there\'s no need to fix it

If that was the case I\'d still be running Win  NT4.0

Since mine broke right around the time of a new release I figured I\'d see what people thought (ah, good old blue screen of death). The reviews I\'m seeing are typical. Not that much better than XP but with less features and more bugs. If it\'s worth it I have no problem upgrading, but so far I\'m not convinced.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Windows Vista?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:23:09 am »
I have heard only bad things abotu Windows Vista.
Masturbation in the MFA

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Windows Vista?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:00:37 am »
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

davepeck

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 09:10:10 am »
you mention upgrading your computer -- what exactly are you upgrading? or are you JUST talking about your OS? what kind of specs are you working with here?

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
Windows Vista?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 09:32:06 am »
does anyone know if you can use microsoft office software over again on another computer? i have microsoft office small business on my comp at home and it just expired, but costs $280 to upgrade. if i find the software somewhere at work and bring it home to load on my computer is this something that could possibly work?

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Windows Vista?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 09:32:43 am »
I would get a Mac, if you\'re not too concerned about the cost.  I don\'t have one, but we use them in the editing suite at school.  I love \'em.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Windows Vista?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:18:43 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;133972
does anyone know if you can use microsoft office software over again on another computer? i have microsoft office small business on my comp at home and it just expired, but costs $280 to upgrade. if i find the software somewhere at work and bring it home to load on my computer is this something that could possibly work?

http://www.oink.uk
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:59 am »
Quote from: davepeck;133970
you mention upgrading your computer -- what exactly are you upgrading? or are you JUST talking about your OS? what kind of specs are you working with here?

Well, xp crashed on me, you try to boot from the drive and you get stuck in a loop with it telling you your c:/ is invalid and to check the disc, would you like to launch in safe mode, etc. No matter which you select it stays in the loop with a blue screen and then a reset, back to choose how you want to boot. I had an older version of xp sp1 on a seperate hard drive so I\'ve been running that but i can\'t ingest video on it and it\'s pretty slow, so i\'ve been meaning to just get a full version of windows ______ and start over. I don\'t mind spending the money for vista if it is worth it.

Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;133973
I would get a Mac, if you\'re not too concerned about the cost.  I don\'t have one, but we use them in the editing suite at school.  I love \'em.

I know exactly what you mean, but right now I don\'t have the cash (well I do but I don\'t want to take that much out of savings).

davepeck

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 10:27:57 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;133979
Well, xp crashed on me, you try to boot from the drive and you get stuck in a loop with it telling you your c:/ is invalid and to check the disc, would you like to launch in safe mode, etc. No matter which you select it stays in the loop with a blue screen and then a reset, back to choose how you want to boot. I had an older version of xp sp1 on a seperate hard drive so I\'ve been running that but i can\'t ingest video on it and it\'s pretty slow, so i\'ve been meaning to just get a full version of windows ______ and start over. I don\'t mind spending the money for vista if it is worth it.

you didn\'t give any specs, but if you\'re not upgrading, i\'d say just stick with XP Pro.. personally, i won\'t be going to vista until i get/build my next pc, which hopefully won\'t be for another year or so..

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Windows Vista?
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 10:31:59 am »
well I\'m not sure what you want for specs, but I asure you I don\'t know them off the top of my head. :P

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Windows Vista?
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 12:31:42 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;133979

I know exactly what you mean, but right now I don\'t have the cash (well I do but I don\'t want to take that much out of savings).

If you have the XP disc. Boot up to that and when it finds the OS it will ask u if u want to reinstall or try to repair the old install. I would do that and the run chkdsk /F If the HDD is still good then it might be able to fix the problem on your machine. I had this happen to me a few times in win2k

As for your original question. DO NOT GET XP HOME. If your going to get XP go with XP pro also if u buy now they were doing a promo where if you buy XP u can get a coupon for a free upgrade to Vista. Not sure if thats still going on but it was only the other week when I saw it on newegg.com
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19