Author Topic: VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!  (Read 9926 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
VERY GOOD THINGS TO COME FOR THE BREAKFAST + lots of help needed!
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 01:33:40 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;156859
Quote from: bdfreetuna;156791
^^
Maybe if they would play a couple more Phish covers instead of retarded 80s hair band covers...

;)

Moma Dance

What? Their 80s hair band covers always make the show for me; it\'s like wow, where\'d that come from?

If anything they should cover dire straits, gary numan, or tears for fears or something.

if by "or something" you mean, Rick Astley, then count me in!

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 01:58:19 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;156815
I have heard some beautiful Vermont Songs in the past

7-31-2004!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

peaches626

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 02:13:22 pm »
papa peck hit the nail on the head :

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK ECHIDNA\'S ARF!!!  (if thats how you spell it)
taints rule, gypsies drool!

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2007, 04:59:13 pm »
^^
Maybe if they would play a couple more Phish covers instead of retarded 80s hair band covers...

;)

Moma Dance

What? Their 80s hair band covers always make the show for me; it\'s like wow, where\'d that come from?

If anything they should cover dire straits, gary numan, or tears for fears or something.

I\'d like a tears for fears, "head over heels" anyday

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 05:22:32 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;156890

Pop songs require great vocals.  A guest singer is needed for that one!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Whoareyoumacher?

• http://www.iansmusic.net
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 05:52:04 pm »
Unfortunately, I think the key to Bfast success does not lie with killer musicianship, or else we\'d all be selling veggie burritos and goo balls as we follow them around the country, and I, for one, would be pushing hard for a Schumacher sit-in at Vegoose.

I think its is awesome, Matt, that not only are you giving this band a musical renaissance but a fresh boost that can be harnessed by the management, booking agent, fans and band that can finally propell y\'all onto the scene.

I think the charity idea is brilliant.  The first guy I gigged with put all of the profit from his album into charity.  My friend Zac Brown (who is about to get a MAJOR deal and has nearly 1,000,000 plays on his myspace) called his new album "The Foundation" and set up a charity (The Foundation!) to donate proceeds to.  Not only has he gotten tons of press about it and sold a ton of discs, he\'s doing a ton of good.  I think y\'all should setup your own charity that can grow hand in hand with the Bfast and open the doors to press and buzz when heading outside of New Haven County.

Speaking of...how come nobody in Hartford has ever heard of you guys?  There are a lot of headie kids there and some good places to play.  New Haven is kind of a dead end.  Other than Michael Bolton, who has come out of New Haven?   Focus outside of the hometown - if Utica packs out, bring it to them even if the room itself blows.

As far as what I can do for you guys...come to Atlanta.  I\'ll hook it up.

I, for one, think covers reallly help rope in the Newbs.  If they have only heard a few Bfast songs b4 the show and they get some sick, sick covers, they will feel more comfortable getting down.  I do think that the choice of covers could be better...Choose ones that compliment the originals and the playing style.  Don\'t do tunes that nobody can sing great.  I almost shit myself when I got a sampler with a BeeGees tune on it.  It sucked.

It might be a good idea to get everyone involved in some sort of vocal training.  As much as the vox have improved...unfortunatley, it still is the weak link in an otherwise monstrous sound.

Also, it might be a good idea to consider working with some management that knows what they are doing.  This concept might be a little far out for the band, but untill the behind the scenes stuff starts working (at all) nothing is going to happen.  I think if they got involved with the right management it would open the right doors for cross-networking and sit-ins and festies and everything else.  Tim and the guys are great at making music and suck at business.  Stick to playing and get somebody who knows anything about the industry to take the reigns.

Matt, thanks for joining up with the band.  You are needed and appreciated.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
    • http://
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2007, 05:53:13 pm »
Given al\'s observation, how about some more doors, now we\'ve got our own Ray Manzarek and Tim has proven he can carry doors tunes? And given the standard of some of Matt\'s solo playing on the last few shows, how about some Rick Wakeman band stuff? A complete \'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth\' anyone?? :)
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

SKU

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2007, 10:40:59 pm »
I like the smiles on the stage while playing.  If the band is having fun then I am having fun!

tyzack

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;156890
^^

;)

Moma Dance

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all their covers?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 01:04:52 pm »
I think this might be it but not up to date.

PB Covers
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;156984

yup

http://www.thebreakfast.info/forum/showthread.php?p=156530#post156530
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 04:00:29 pm »
Just curious, does the band have a unified vision of what their success "looks like" or means to them?  It seems like that should be what drives their strategic planning (or that of their management).  Not that this question can/should be answered on this board, but their goals are ultimately what they should pursue.  
I would love to see them get whatever they want, and/or enjoy the journey!  
I agree that a few more covers might help initiate those who are hearing them for the first time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:17:15 pm by ulee »

tyzack

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 04:11:40 pm »
Quote from: derickw;156988
Quote from: tyzack;156984

yup

http://www.thebreakfast.info/forum/showthread.php?p=156530#post156530

Back to the discussion of what genre they fall under. I think that by looking at the list of covers they really can\'t be classified in one versus another. I also agree with the idea of using covers to bring people in, but not over much. Waiting to hear some random - sometimes really good, sometimes humorous (I recall a cover of sweet leaf in palmer ma that was hillarious at best) - is in the top 5 things I lover about going to breakfast shows.

As for their definition of success, I am curious, but I would suggest they follow (and watching them on stage i am pretty sure they already do) one rule, and one rule only;
HAVE FUN.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »
Quote from: Klout;156783
they are way too hardcore and in your face for your average happy hippy. I don\'t know that there is any genre of already established fan base that would truly embrace them. I think they kind of have to just create their own from whoever gets it.

Quote from: Klout;156790
I think their hope for new fanbase is in the youth. Young kids who still have an open mind to anything and can see it for what it is and embrace it. there is no hope of converting the moe crowd or bisco untzers or old phish heads or jamband scene in general.   The jamband bar cirquit is beat.  Break out of that mold.

Wow.  I normaly find Klout posts needlessly belligerent and downbeat, but I couldn\'t agree with this more. Bravo.

Play every college you can.  

Please don\'t try to fit a mold.  What really sucked me in is how I\'ll here a tease or an influence from something I love but never expected from them.  Makes me feel contected to the music.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 06:10:14 pm »
belligerent

:lol:
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising