Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-08-30 - The Field; Bridgeport, CT  (Read 8408 times)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Setlist: 2008-08-30 - The Field; Bridgeport, CT
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 08:27:18 am »
ren you sound like a fucking idiot

try paying a little more attention to the music and a little less attention to the fans
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 10:18:33 am »
when the fans interfere with the music being played because of the drugs they\'re on, it becomes very difficult to pay any attention to the music.

i know that everytime i\'ve tried to go to a bisco show, some spun out imbecile would keep crashing into me or would be talking about whatever over the music, never allowing me the chance to get into the music.

do what you want, but if you know to shut up and not annoy your neighbors at a movie, why can\'t you do the same at a concert???

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 11:18:40 am »
"gimme all the drugs i can get, doesn\'t matter what it is, i\'ll take it,"

Is that a direct quote?

i was glad to see that for the most part, well almost the majority of b\'fast fans when i first started coming around back in the good ol\' days, were nothing like that.

You mean the 20 people that used to see the band back in 2000 vs. the 50 people that see the band today.  At a typical Breakfast show i know probably 80-90% of the people in the crowd.  The Biscuits fanbase is, conservatively, 200x the size.  The larger the fanbase, the more diverse the crowd and their interests.  Sure you will get some rotten eggs in there, but that is just a direct reflection of society as a whole.

that type of person is a cancer to ANY music scene. also the kind of person that made phish supposedly lose their desire to play for people. that fan does NOT have genuine passion for music. they have a passion for drugs. the music is just an after thought or something to move to, i mean, at the lot in plains, pa they were dancing to j. geils for christ\'s sake, fuckin\' sit these people in a big, open room with flashing lights and a big screen tv with any random movie on and they\'ll have the same reaction.

A cancer to the scene?  I\'m sure the Biscuits don\'t see it that way.  Yeah some kids come and get fucked up...so what?  You don\'t think that happens at Breakfast shows?  Bottom line, whether they are faced or sober, they are still putting down $30-$50 per show to see this band.  The Breakfast would kill to have that kind dedication...and if you believe otherwise you are CRAZY!

Yes...and Phish "lost the desire to play for people" because they felt people weren\'t interested in the music anymore, just get fucked up.  Are you ser?  

And who are you to decide what\'s good music and what isn\'t?  If people want to get down to J. Geils, then fuckin\' get down.  You live in Fairfield and you\'ve never seen people getting down to \'80\'s music?

every one of their fans i have ever met since like \'98 or \'99 has mentioned how fucked up they were and how many different drugs they\'d taken when they went. according to older fans of the band, it wasn\'t always like that. surprise, surprise, yet another thing ruined by filthy, dirty, scuzzy, nasty-ass immature druggies.

Yes...that\'s what happens in the \'jam\' scene when a band gets big.  You pick up more fans!  Some have different priorities at a show, but (for the most part) they all have enough passion to drop money down to check them out.  Jaded veterans of the scene will always talk about how much better it was back in the day.  So what?  What else is new?

i went to see phish in 2000 at the meadows, we took a "bisco girl," like half way through the show while wandering around i ran into her, she immediately comes up to me, eyes darting around and huge, and goes, "heeeeeey, what\'s up, are you having a good time?!?! what are you on?!?" i was like, "uh, nothing," she was like, "seriously? that\'s uh, cool," and got a sarcastic thumbs up...

So you are complaining about these people at shows, yet you choose to bring her with you?

if you need to take drugs to enjoy a band, do you really like that band to begin with?

I love the Biscuits and the Breakfast whether i\'m fucked up or completely sober.  Some of my most enjoyable shows i have tripping or rolling, but I can say the same thing about sober shows.  Depends on what i\'m in the mood for.  It\'s called life...live it.

no fuckin\' thanks. imagine a bar full of those assholes? or a place like maybe, the field or jake\'s, or some kind of nice place they\'ve never played before, for example, does anyone think they\'d be invited back?!?!

i think not...

So if they Breakfast started selling out small venues with lines out the doors, you don\'t think they would be invited back?  Money is money.  The venues are glad to see.  More ticket, food, and drink sales I would say increase the odds of being invited back.  No?  

Sorry this turned into a rant, but Ren\'s post was just too ridiculous.  To bring it home...yes there are a lot of kids getting fucked up in the Biscuits scene, but over half their fanbase is made up of 16-21yr old kids.  What were you doing during those ages?  Partying, having fun, drinking, smoking, getting fucked up...basically looking for a good time.  If they want to have a good time at a show, with a band they enjoy, all the more power to them.  Who are you to say otherwise?  Regardless, if your enjoyment is influenced more by what people are doing around you rather than what\'s on stage, maybe your priorities are mixed up?

i know that everytime i\'ve tried to go to a bisco show, some spun out imbecile would keep crashing into me or would be talking about whatever over the music, never allowing me the chance to get into the music.

Just gotta find a good spot.  Generally right in front of the SBD yields great sound and less talking (because of the tapers).  When an indoor building is sold out or at least packed, you will deal with these complications, Biscuits or not
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:18:40 am by NickNels »
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Ren

• what?
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »
...yep i sound like an idiot.  
...i don\'t pay attention to the music.  
...i\'m old and jaded.  
...the queens bridge remix of j. geils was the shit

sounds like it struck a chord with a few of you.  notice i never bad mouthed the band, only certain fans.  unless you guys are that kind of person, what do you care?  i know the same amount of b\'fast people, and then and now, the majority of them aren\'t like the people i described.  i guess that i jumped the gun by saying the "typical biscuits fan."  i was refering to the played out wookie/homeboy hybrid that A LOT of people associate with them.  sorry, but that\'s the way it is.  that\'s all i take back.

i don\'t hang out in fairfield, i just live here.  i got past the whole, "hey remember that song?!!" with 80\'s music.  i unfortunatley have seen people dance to it.

i did not realize that girl i chose to bring along was like that until then, i mean obviously i knew she did drugs, but i didn\'t realize that\'s what it was all about for her.

if having nowhere else to go and getting slammed into constantly by some fucked up asshole who can\'t control themself directly affects my ability to enjoy or give my full attention to the music that i love means my priorities are fucked up, then i guess they are.

and obviously *** at a b\'fast show is intense.  however, using a little restraint while on it is equally intense and hard to do at times, but just plain fun to try and pull it off.  

if i had more time i would more closely dissect the parts that "offended" me, and quote them all.  however, i really don\'t give a shit.  it shouldn\'t be taken personal.  i guess it was.  it\'s just all a matter of priorities.

see you guys at sully\'s.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:38:54 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:53 pm »
i just took 20 minutes reading all these posts.  I have one thought to add...

Ive seen the disco biscuits ONE time...i drove 4 hours each way, and most of the ride home was pouring rain.  It was a free show in buffalo outside this summer.  I was DEAD SOBER (i think i had 2 beers over 5 hours).  I had a blast, and i was analyzing the music the entire time.  The drummer is very tight and drives the rest of the band, and the bass player does the same and does some really cool things during jam transitions.  The guitar player and keys player both arent awesome, but they get the job done.  And for a band who plays their type of music, the most important thing is a solid driving rythym section.

I knew it was a really good show, so i jumped on as a guest into TDB message board to see what the fans thought.  All everybody was talking about was arguing over the fact that people were crowd surfing throughout the show and how much that ruined everything and "no one who crowd surfs should ever be at a bisco show."  I couldnt believe this was actually bothering people.  I thought it was great and i was totally sober.

I think in general the "jam band" scene has a lot of very opinionated people, and a lot of people who feel like they know more than the guy next to him/her because they are a part of a devoted band following.  So anyone who acts differently than what they think is the right way to be is subject to scrutiny.  It would be the same as if somone with tattoos and piercings all over himself walked into a catholic church.

I could write a book on the jam band social network, but ill stop myself from going to far.  I\'ll just say the whole thing is like one big sociology experiment.
DS Newbers

Ren

• what?
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 12:26:32 am »
that is true.  you either stick around forever and burn out.  or you slowly start to pick apart those who come after you.  i don\'t know why.  i always hated it and believe that i\'ve even commented on the subject and how much i hate it when i see it done.  i don\'t know why it happens, sometimes you can\'t help it.  you see the same people doing the same shit, and still getting off on it over and over, it begins to drive you out of your mind.  sorry if i upset you guys but i wasn\'t directing it at any of you.  but it does get old.  i guess it\'ll have to be a case of "to each their own."
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:29 am »
I agree with Dave.  Jamband scene is very opinionated...especially when you take it to the message boards.  Dave, I assume you jumped on PT?  The majority of those people are way too critical.  The Buffalo show you talked about I actually heard was great.  Glad you got a chance to see them.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 09:55:34 am »
this is one of those "hidden gem" threads :)
The "sociology experiment" of the big jam band crowds always got to me.. raves too.. where there is such a unified feeling, an ecstatic celebration of wonder and energy.. but it also can be a very disconnected/everyone-out-for-themselves vibe.. I feel an overwhelming love for everybody sometimes at these, not because of drugs, but just from getting to those places where music can take us, together, seeing how we\'re all made of the same stuff.. and then I\'m like, wouldn\'t it be great if we could use this loving energy to create positive change in the world instead of just each individual getting their latest hedonistic high? and then I don\'t know where to go from there.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 10:31:01 am »
Two issues with the sociology experiment:

1) Race relations are non-existent
2) Because race relations are non-existent, so are class disparities

Booooorrrriiiing.

I\'m not totally serious here, but we are a bunch of priveleged white kids in this scene (obviously there are always exceptions so save your breath) which is exactly why there is so much bitching about petty shit. I\'m totally guilty of this crime at times too.

However, I\'ve thought about how you could conduct a sociological experiment in this scene often, so I like where Dave\'s head is at. Gender ALWAYS works. I\'d say on this board alone you see genderized norms of how people act and react (jocelyn strikes me as the only exception off the top of my head) and in unique ways specific to this scene. I\'m going to stop here immediately.

btw, Whoopsie-daisy on the old Buquebus-inverticus Q to basically open this thread and spark a total shit show.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:31:01 am by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 11:10:55 am »
Quote from: NickNels;201602
I agree with Dave.  Jamband scene is very opinionated...especially when you take it to the message boards.  Dave, I assume you jumped on PT?  The majority of those people are way too critical.  The Buffalo show you talked about I actually heard was great.  Glad you got a chance to see them.

yeah i went on PT...the buffalo show was awesome, one of the best shows ive seen all year.  jam packed, everyone into the music.  And over half the crowd had probably never seen the band before.  All those thursday at the square shows are great, they always get really good bands to come, and there is always a HUGE crowd if the weather is nice (>5000 people).

They were the only band (no opener, which is uncommon), and they played a an over 3 hour show, which would have gone longer if the biggest thunderstorm of the summer didnt unleash its wrath right when the encore started.
DS Newbers

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
i dig the biscuits, but i think they\'d be way better with adrian on drums.

and tpalms on guitar.
caress me, aunt jemima