Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-08-22 - Mill Street Brews; Southbridge, MA  (Read 4854 times)

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
Setlist: 2008-08-22 - Mill Street Brews; Southbridge, MA
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:00:40 am »
I: jam* > May Fly Disarray, Rush, Metropolis, The Late And The Great** > Tripping Billies**^

II: Bass jam > jam > Tribal Funk Affliction^^ > Merge# > Tribal Funk Affliction, Étude Op.10 No.4 in C-sharp minor## > The Chase@, Question, Puppetry@@

E: Inner Glimpse

* with \'May Fly Disarray\' teases
** dedicated to LeRoi Moore
^ Dave Matthews Band cover; first time played
^^ with Tim using beer bottle during solo
# with \'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic\' (The Police) teases
## by Frédéric Chopin; first time played; Matt solo
@ last played on 12-31-07
@@ with \'Tripping Billies\', \'Fluff\'s Travels\' (Phish), and \'96 Tears\' (Question Mark & the Mysterians) teases
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:32:50 pm by ChrisPitch »

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:40:03 am »
looks like a wild time...whos got a review?
DS Newbers

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:10 am »
What a great show. Matt absolutely owned the jam in May Fly; one of the best ever. To me, Rush was nondescript in the sense that it was as good as usual, but not any better or any worse. Metropolis is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. Chris was absolutely on fire starting with the song; a trend that wouldn\'t let up for the rest of the night. The Late and the Great for LeRoi Moore was a nice touch, and following it up with Tripping Billies was more than I expected. We all have our opinions on Dave Matthews, but if you were there, I\'m sure you have no complaints about Tripping Billies; the band absolutely tore it up.

Funny story, Ellis blew a fuse in the lights and the stage went dark right before the segue into Tripping Billies. The fun part is that Tim was going to be reading the lyrics, which he couldn\'t see. I wonder how close the band was to bailing on Tripping Billies and seguing into something else.

The bass jam started as a Space City Affair-like adventure with just Chris on stage. Once the rest of the band joined him, in turned into a solid funk that led into Tribal. Tribal has always been overrated in my book, but that doesn\'t mean it\'s not an excellent song. The segue into Merge felt spontaneous, but I may be wrong about that.

The Chase bust-out had the crowd more excited than anyone has ever been to hear The Chase before. I was misled into thinking we were going to hear Wild Pack (the clue I was given was "Neither Chris or Matt have played this song before", which is false if we\'re talking about The Chase), but I definitely wasn\'t disappointed. Question was the second cover of the night that the band played better than the original. The song has a funny way of popping up very infrequently, but at the perfect time.

After Question, Puppetry was more than I expected for the rest of the evening. The jam started strong but began to peter out, and, in my opinion, the song was saved by what I believe was the manager telling them that they were running out of time. This stopped momentum from dying too much, and Tripping Billies callback > Puppetry ending was a great end to the night.

Between the time (after 1:30) and my experience with Massachusetts bars, I really didn\'t expect an encore. Inner Glimpse isn\'t a bad song if you can separate it from the days of hearing every show in 2004, and it was fine for me as an encore.

This is probably the first show where I can say that Tim was the least impressive. Not that he didn\'t shred, but he was definitely a strong 4th out of 4. It\'s like all of those Olympic swimming races that ended with the top four people breaking the world record. Tim "swam" better than anyone ever before, but was still fourth on this particular night. MVP honors go to Chris, who really commanded the tempo and style of a lot of the jamming and also dominated vocally.

A great night in Southbridge, Mass. I hope everybody escaped the wrath of the Southbridge PD (who really needed to find some real crime going on somewhere) and made it home OK.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:25:54 am »
This was one of my favorite Breakfast shows ever. Most of the time that does seem to happen though...

1st set :::
Right off the bat the "jam" was sick, I could tell this show was going to be one for the head stash. Dropped into MayFly and a serious one at that. Rush came along and its a serious contender for best Rush ever played. Metropolis came along and obviously this is the best Trop yet busted out... like I don\'t remember exactly WHY, okaaaay?? But they killed it like Raiden in MK2. By this point it was clear that the whole band was on fire...
The Late and the Great = Thank you Tim I already knew you were the best guitar player freakin ever but feel free to rub it in my face. No really, that\'s why I come to these shows!
Trippin Billies = good vibes. It made me happy. It made other people happy. It made me happy to see other people being made happy. But apparently some ppl (gavin) are too cool for good times :lol:

**steps out of the hotbox**
Set 2::: I don\'t know about that setlist.. but what basically went down was they opened with a jam that was a little wandery/not so tight as Set 1 opening jam perfection. Then they dropped TFA which to be honest doesn\'t really get me that excited anymore. But they MFKilled it, stickin a thick ass Merge right in the middle and following that with the kind of crazy shit that makes you think, hey these guys are sure good at their job and I got a good deal at the door... straight.

Everyone was uber excited about The Chase... I dunno, this is probably the song I\'ve seen them play *the most*. Make no mistake I do thoroughly enjoy it. Has it been a while since they played, or first time with Chris, or something? Guess I wasn\'t really payin\' attention to the whatever-the-hecks behind the scenes.

When Puppetry occured, I\'ll admit. A twinkle in my eye, feelings of having a lighter step... and ... uh.. ok so they played it. For a while I was wondering WTF is going on when they dropped it into a Tweezer-style like almost not playing their instruments jam. Kinda lost the momentum for a second but lucky for me I was baked and def in this one for the long haul whatever that may be... then Matt did a pretty cool thing, started playin the Trippin Billies riff, and the band catches on to that and drops into Trippin Billies reprise style with intensity. From there on out it was a ragin\' Puppetry.

Nice Inner Glimpse to close it out. Lyrically I find this song halarious and musically it rules. I was glad they didn\'t drop a 1:40AM Buquebus or something because I was kind of tired and soon I would be thinking about the comfort of a warm bed and additional marijuana.

Summery::
1st set was ser Breakfast perfection.
2nd set was dirty. Loved it.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

wACEted

• Metropolis Monster
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509724110
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:33:10 pm »
Short, but sincere:

One of the best nights of friends and music I\'ve had this summer.

Thanks to the B\'fast and their family (as always).

Also, Chris might be my favorite bass player of all time. Metropolis all daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Set 1 = best Breakfast set I\'ve seen in the new incarnation.

Thanks again all.

Oh...and I have pics up on my Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28592&l=5b05b&id=509724110

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:33:10 pm by wACEted »
One way or another this darkness got to give...

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:13 pm »
They played the chase! All this whining really payed off!

Did Chris funk up the middle section r whut?
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

LBoogie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
i\'m not even sure that there are words in the english language to describe how i feel about last nights set...so thank you to everyone who has done a beautiful job doing that for me:)  all i have to say is that this band is unstoppable. great show all around....incredible energy in the crowd, and probably one of the best displays of music i have EVER seen.  it just keeps getting better!  I Love The Breakfast...enough said:)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:19:50 pm »
you people are nuts if you didn\'t think Tribal was the hands down highlight of that show(unless you got a huge DMB crush, then i digress).  an impromptu "medium" merge in the middle and the jam back into TFA was fatty.

livin in a dangaldoo is really coming into its own.  tL&tG>trippin billies was tight, and i don\'t even like Dave, but that pretty much summed up the night for most of us.

Puppetry got a little disjointed, but it pulled itself back together.  that set could\'ve ended w/ ? and it still would\'ve been a ok in my books.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:23:35 pm by Igziabeher »

Todaysparkles

• The Breakfast Blondie
    • http://www.myspace.com/todaysparkles
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 03:53:42 pm »
Last night was absolutely spectacular!! The show was outrageously good, for sure. Special thanks to ChrisPitch for getting me familiar with the song titles so I can tell you that the end of Puppetry blew my mind. I also found Metropolis to be absolutely ridiculous and was a huge fan of Rush. I am so happy for your Lauren, that you got your song. Thanks for cutting out all the horrendous pictures of me John, I had such an absurdly fun trip with all of you :)
Seasons don't fear the reaper

ChrisF

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 08:50:31 pm »
download this show in mp3

im heading out the door. ill post flac when i get home

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 11:18:50 pm »
Pretty decent show, haven\'t seen the band since the last Mill Show.  I really dig Metropolis, this song definitely has alot of potential.  I thought the whole tribute to Leroi was pretty good,  they did a really good job with Tripping Billies IMO.  Tribal was good, just seemed different than TFA has felt in the past, I haven\'t heard this song live in a year and a half, so maybe its just me.  The whole beer bottle thing was awesome though. The best way I can describe the band in the midst of a crazy jam is a "wall of sound".  I remember back in the old days when Tim would just shred, now there is this balance.  Only downer was I expected a few more peeps there, but isn\'t that the case 99% of the time.  Can\'t wait til they play Bean Town again!
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

peaches626

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:56:09 am »
Highlights for me- Mayfly jam, definitely Matt-led as far as I can remember
    -the return of the Chase, which was a funky fun time long overdue...
    -Question, which I always request at Timmy Tour and never think to request at Breakfast shows, and it always gets me pumped
    -puppetry jam, which was quirky and weird (the most type IIish jam of the night if i remember correctly but i was at peak un-soberness of the night by puppetry so who can be sure)

the dave matthews song was pretty cool, definitely didn\'t expect it (and to show how much i know about dmb, i saw "trippin billies" on the setlist and was like "what the hell is that?"), but it was a fun rockin time and the crowd was gettin down and it was touching and all that...

Good to see everyone again, its been too long!
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Ren

• what?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:07 pm »
Very good show.  

The opening jam, imo went on a little too long.  Nice Mayfly.  I was pretty excited to see Rush, definitely one of their best new songs, pretty wild jam.  Haven\'t seen that one in a while.  Metropolis was really good.  I don\'t think they really had to re-work it or anything, if anything it\'s for the better.  The Late and the Great was clearly the highlight of the set, the peaks just kept getting higher and higher.  I don\'t really know much about Trippin\' Billies, my friends who were into Dave always made a big deal out of it, so i expected the same reaction from the crowd at Mill St.  Not a bad song at all, the crowd really seemed to like it.

The bass jam into Tribal came out of nowhere.  Clearly and without a doubt one the best B\'fast songs, Tribal pretty much captures, at the highest level, all of their individual talents and musically, what the band is all about, iMo.  The segue into Merge was just great, do we call it fast/slow merge, or just merge.  Doesn\'t really matter I suppose, ALWAYS good to hear.  I\'m sure whoever was keeping the setlist was like, "Oh yes, yes of cousre, this is CLEARY Etude Op. 10 No. 4 in C-sharp minor."  Sure I was excited to hear the Chase, but I think it\'s a little over-rated if you ask me, still good though.  Question was ok.  Puppetry was great!  I guess Inner Glimpse was a good way to close out the show, i could\'ve thought about 5 or 6 other songs that I would\'ve rather heard, but that\'s ok, I still had a really good time and I\'m glad I went.

See you bitches soon...
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 01:55:50 pm »
Time for the tale of Corndog.

So we\'re hanging out in the lot during setbreak and this car backs out and slams into a parked car. He then takes off flying out of the lot while everyone is screaming at him to stop.  Pitchy immediately recites his license plate #.  Meanwhile some guy proclaims "Hey thats Corndog! You don\'t need to worry about him, he\'ll be back. Besides that\'s my homey\'s car he just hit".
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

peaches626

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »
"Corndog ALWAYS comes back!!"
taints rule, gypsies drool!