Author Topic: What book(s) are u reading now?  (Read 9169 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
What book(s) are u reading now?
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:14 am »
Max Ride - Schools Out Forever (James Patterson)
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »
loved the ending to Black House.  Makes me wonder about yet another DT themed book involving Jack Sawyer.

[spoiler]would be great to see Jack entirely in the Territories for a full novel[/spoiler]
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

peaches626

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2009, 03:40:16 am »
ive been reading within the non-fiction more frequently as of late...

recently finished The Handy History Answer Book, and The Last Lecture
Right now I\'m workin on Speeches that Changed the World...
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2009, 05:49:52 am »
Radical Evolution by Joel Garreau

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

also, A Gradual Awakening by Steve Levine.

I read a little bit from this one before meditating.
Postcount +1.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2009, 03:15:56 pm »
I\'m really annoyed with myself for the fact that I have not sat down and finished a book since december. started brothers  karamazov but just couldnt get through all the histories. I have to get myself back to the library.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2009, 09:55:30 am »
I just finished the 800+ page biography of John Lennon. It\'s "John Lennon: The Life" by Phillip Norman. It doesn\'t portray him as John Lennon "The God" but as a regular human being (musical genius mixed in) with flaws and dick moves and all the bad and good stuff that makes him so interesting.

It is written on an even keel and I like that, not in favor or against him-just stating facts that were available to the author. Yoko Ono originally had given permission to have the book written, read the final draft and said that the author was mean to John and that she wouldn\'t endorse it. There\'s also a postscript by Sean Lennon. If you have the stamina to make it through, it\'s definitely worth the read.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2009, 10:01:15 am »
I read every book ever written already, that\'s why I don\'t have anything current to contribute to this thread. sorry
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2009, 10:15:54 am »
Quote from: Yoda;230661

just finished this last night....pretty funny how we are reading the same book at the same time. now on to the 3rd book
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:24 am »
Quote from: weekapaug19;230859

just finished this last night....pretty funny how we are reading the same book at the same time. now on to the 3rd book

I just got to the point where I found out the "supposedly" true identity of Anne.  Will read more at lunch.  Should be on book 3 by the middle of the week...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:29 pm »
Bastiat\'s The Law, The Revolution- by Ron Paul, , Dr. Catherine Albrecht\'s Spychips
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2009, 12:53:49 pm »
Quote from: Me!;230648
thread from the dead!!!

I\'ve been plowing through books lately, in the last few months I\'ve read Orson Scott Card\'s Ender\'s Saga (Ender\'s Game, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) Ender\'s Shadow series (Ender\'s Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant) Chuck Palahniuk\'s Snuff, Stephen King\'s The Talisman, and I\'m finishing Black House now. Which I really like btw, knew it was Dark Tower involved but didn\'t realize how deeply and blatantly.  

I was thinking of reading Hearts of Atlantis or Chuck\'s new book which just came out or is coming out soon, Pygmy.  But I also kinda want something entirely new and fresh.  Any recommendations?   I\'m a big fan of series and sagas, but I basically just love a good story.

Since Ender\'s Game is, without question, my favourite book, I am going to comment. It\'s a great series and I think everyone should read it; but that is a common belief amoungst people and their favourite books.

I read Ender\'s Shadow before it was announced that it was part of a paralle series. I didn\'t really like it because I thought that it undercut what made Ender\'s Game so cool, and I pretty much gave up on that series after it.

It\'s been about 6 years since I last read one of those books, but if they come highly recomended, I might go out and buy them; but my backlog of books is in the dozens now.

In terms of reading the best thing that ever happened to me was my feet dragging in getting cable when i moved. One mounth w/o TV = 3 books cleared.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
I really liked the Shadow series.  Not sure if you read the whole Ender saga, but I enjoyed the whole thing.  Def give them a read.  I actually really enjoyed the way the two parallel stories work together.  Just a warning that from Speaker of the Dead on the Ender saga takes place 3000 years after the events of Ender\'s Game, and Ender is in his 30\'s or 40\'s.  So the whole kid genius thing is taken away still a great read though.  I would def recommend the Shadow series, the Ender series is more philosophical, while teh Shadow series is more focused on military and political strategy.  I like the Shadow series too because you get to see what happens to all the characters you meet in EG and ES.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:35:31 pm by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2009, 07:28:25 am »
I read the series through Children of the Mind.

I will give the bean series a read.

I actually re-read Ender\'s game last night based off this post.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;230974
I read the series through Children of the Mind.

I will give the bean series a read.

I actually re-read Ender\'s game last night based off this post.

Give Ender in Exile a read too, it just came out last Nov.  It takes place basically between the last two chapters of Ender\'s Game.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2009, 11:51:00 am »
Quote from: Yoda;230861
Quote from: weekapaug19;230859

I just got to the point where I found out the "supposedly" true identity of Anne.  Will read more at lunch.  Should be on book 3 by the middle of the week...

while reading, i thought these would make a good "big" budget movie.....found out last night they are filming one soon to be released in 2010
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies