Poll

How concerned/worried are you about the swine flu?

ot worried at all.
28 (70%)
orta worried.
9 (22.5%)
ERY WORRIED!
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: 40 confirmed cases of swine flu in united states  (Read 13770 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
40 confirmed cases of swine flu in united states
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:06 am »
Quote from: phirehead;228565
I\'m just saying that 7 years ago, before I had my daughter, I would be right up there with not worrying about it. But when you have a child, at least for me, it changes the way you see things. I worry about things that wouldn\'t have phased me in the past. I\'m a different person in a lot of ways. Am I ridiculous? Sometimes. But I was ridiculous before I had a child, so some things never change.

I\'m with you Phire... I can\'t even imagine what those parent\'s in Texas must be going through right now...  I lost one of my best friends at 8 to cancer, but I don\'t know what I would do if it was my child...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:57 am »
I don\'t have any children but i have 4 little cousins that are my heart.   I\'ll worry once a kid dies in CT.   I am more concerned a little girl was murdered in West Haven.  Cause guess what, a freak is more likely to kill your child than this disease.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:43:36 am by SkyePrizm »

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:58 am »
very worried over here.....as I was in Mexico for 5 days. So far, no real signs of anything flu like...hoping for the best
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:21 am »
im buidling a Bio-dome if anyone is interested in living in it.

just shoot me a PM
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 11:43:09 am »
Quote from: Yoda;228566
I\'m just saying that 7 years ago, before I had my daughter, I would be right up there with not worrying about it. But when you have a child, at least for me, it changes the way you see things. I worry about things that wouldn\'t have phased me in the past. I\'m a different person in a lot of ways. Am I ridiculous? Sometimes. But I was ridiculous before I had a child, so some things never change.

I\'m with you Phire... I can\'t even imagine what those parent\'s in Texas must be going through right now...  I lost one of my best friends at 8 to cancer, but I don\'t know what I would do if it was my child...

see, this just proves that people only hear what they want to hear, and will panic over nothing. this kid was FROM MEXICO. TAKEN TO TEXAS FOR TREATMENT. THE KID WAS NOT A US CITIZEN.

ugh.

hey, remember that time you got SARS? and mad cow disease?? no? hmmm...

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 11:44:40 am »
i had a bout of the avian flu a couple years ago..that or allergies. i forget since i\'m such a huge sucker
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:27 am »
Again, that\'s my point. Before, I would\'ve felt badly about that little girl being murdered. It is an awful thing. Now, I\'m obsessed with preventing that from happening to my daughter.

I\'m not saying that my daughter is going to get this disease, but does it worry me that it could happen? Yes. Sue me. Why is anyone even asking if we are worried if the people who ARE a little worried are going to get berated for it? Chill out.

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:10 am »
Quote from: ds673488;228570

just shoot me a PM

:lol:

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:53 pm »
Quote from: ulee;228575
Quote from: ds673488;228570

just shoot me a PM

Almost missed this.

Good thinking.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;228571
Quote from: Yoda;228566

see, this just proves that people only hear what they want to hear, and will panic over nothing. this kid was FROM MEXICO. TAKEN TO TEXAS FOR TREATMENT. THE KID WAS NOT A US CITIZEN.

ugh.

hey, remember that time you got SARS? and mad cow disease?? no? hmmm...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/swine_flu_kills_23monthold_chi.html

The link above is where I read about the death.  It does not mention that the child was from Mexico and was visiting the states and died in texas.  

I\'m really hoping that this blows over and this doesn\'t turn into a full-blown pandemic, but I think that everyone has a right to be a worried or not as they want to...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:48 pm »
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;228580
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090429

Try the news source to all news.

I use nj.com because I like to know what\'s happening in my neck of the woods.  I work for the company that owns reuters, I guess I should know better...

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »
200 people world wide isn\'t a pandemic. 35,000 EACH YEAR DIE IN THE USA FROM THE FLU. so, yeah, i think folks are getting up in arms about something that\'s potentially scary, but not the end of the world.

and yes, yoda, you should know better. especially if you are basing the fear you\'re spreading on what nj.com tells you about something that happened in texas.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:33 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;228568
I don\'t have any children but i have 4 little cousins that are my heart.   I\'ll worry once a kid dies in CT.   I am more concerned a little girl was murdered in West Haven.  Cause guess what, a freak is more likely to kill your child than this disease.

See this is also a creation of the media.

You would think that in this day and age it is sooo unsafe for kids etc. They always talk about kidnapping, child murder, abductions etc etc. What they NEVER tell you is that ALL of that stuff has been on the decline for years.

We (im 35) were WAY more statistically at risk when we were kids compared to today. The difference is the media. When a kid in east bum fuck was killed or abducted you never heard squat about it. Now when it happens in east podunk EVERYONE knows about. It creates a FALSE sense that the world is more dangerous now then ever when in fact that couldn\'t be further from the truth. I had this exact argument with my cousin. He has 3 kids and was going on and on about the dangers around every corner these days etc etc. Well he was shocked when I pointed out that he couldn\'t be more wrong.

This is why Parents don\'t let their kids walk to school, stand at the bus stop by themselves, play outside, got to the park etc etc. And it all based on falsehoods and paranoia.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/vagetab.htm

That link has a nice little breakdown. Basically EVERY stat since 1973 is half of what it used to be. And note that the reporting of these kinds of offenses is also much higher so that in and of itself shows that the reduction has been dramatic. When we were kids teachers etc didn\'t HAVE to report suspicions, they are no REQUIRED by law. so even with greater reporting of crimes, with teachers / parents hyper-aware, the stats still went down dramatically.

Overall violent crime has been going down year after year. But you would never know it. Just like Terrorism etc. You have WAY more chance of getting hit by lightning then being killed by a terrorist but that didn\'t stop everyone from shitting on the constitution so they could "FEEL" safer.

This all feeds in to the mentality that we need to be policed more, that people shouldn\'t have more freedom but less etc. When in fact the stats show that overall when it comes to violent crime or crimes against kids we are WAY more behaved now then ever.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »
amen, kindm\'s!!

its like parents who won\'t let their kids play at a house where the homeowner has a gun, for fear of an accidental shooting, but will happily send their kid off to a friend\'s house where there is a swimming pool. there are less than 10 gun/child related deaths per year, but over 400 drownings every year. but the "good, protective parent" in them still sends them to their far more likely death out of a misplaced and misinformed fear.