Author Topic: Why Does Paul Ryan Tape Things And Never Release Them?  (Read 4640 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Why Does Paul Ryan Tape Things And Never Release Them?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 02:53:46 pm »
Quote from: Me!
Quote from: davepeck
Quote from: Me!
It would certainly have to be edited down, they don\'t technically "own" certain songs

my guess is that if it were to happen, they\'d suck it up and pay the royalties, rather than release a hacked up version of their 1000th show. considering that 2 of the 3 covers played were part of huge segues, and the other featured tim smashing the guitar at the end of it, removing these songs from the performance would make it worthless.

exactly IF, but I also mean Puppetry and Buquebus and Drunk Monk

ah. right. fuck.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2006, 02:56:32 pm »
Paul Ryan is an asshole. Someone should kill him and feed his liver to vultures only to have it grow back each night and be eaten again the next day. That\'s the only punishment good enough for a jerk like him.

also, puppetry pre-dates sonance. The first album was self released.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:25 pm »
Sooooo, that\'s all Deuce & Bona Fide songs?  Shit.  

Though, if they wanna do a DVD they could (ahem, for the next Toad\'s show)
do an entire set of all the new songs, nothing but the new songs, own this buddy we\'re shredding the fucking new songs!

Please?
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 03:07:45 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa
Paul Ryan is an asshole. Someone should kill him and feed his liver to vultures only to have it grow back each night and be eaten again the next day. That\'s the only punishment good enough for a jerk like him.

ya that Paul Ryan kid sucks;)

are you guys serious, a record co. owns those songs that\'s rediculous. so what anytime they make money involving those songs they have to pay royalties..... freak\'n record co.\'s. but they would just have to pay a portion of what they make right......
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2006, 03:09:56 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa

That\'s right, you are correct
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2006, 03:30:12 pm »
Quote from: derickw
are you guys serious, a record co. owns those songs that\'s rediculous. so what anytime they make money involving those songs they have to pay royalties..... freak\'n record co.\'s. but they would just have to pay a portion of what they make right......
welcome to the music biz. That\'s why I feel so bad for those american idol winners. Simmon OWNS them. The grand prize is a contract with his company where you can only preform songs written by his staff or songs selected by his staff, or covers that his company has already made agrements with. You can write your own material, but they get final say as to what makes it on the album. In short, always read before you sign!

"a guy from a company we can\'t name said we aught to take his pen
and sign on the line for a real good time, but he didn\'t tell us when
these good times would be something that was really happening"
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2006, 05:15:42 pm »
release date=september 1,2016
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2006, 05:27:41 pm »
really, I heard 9-1-2020
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2006, 05:29:11 pm »
either way,well never see it.
<<< dosent appreciate anything
<<< takes everything for granted

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 05:34:36 pm »
You\'ll see it alright. I heard its the special feature and its playing on July 10th before Phish.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2006, 02:09:26 am »
ill just say that i personally will put $100 towards getting the montage out on video since i didnt get to see it either, and would love to, if we get a fund goin for it, then i dont see any reason not to get it out there.  Also, paul, if you guys could get me a wide angle of the show that would be great, i would really like to study this show cause there were some incredible points as well as some real fuck ups on my part. -Get back to me
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2006, 02:44:22 am »
Quote from: ellis-d
 i would really like to study this show cause there were some incredible points as well as some real fuck ups on my part. -Get back to me

So what you\'re saying is you had a typical ellis-d show. ;)
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2006, 09:59:55 am »
Quote from: leith
Quote from: ellis-d
 i would really like to study this show cause there were some incredible points as well as some real fuck ups on my part. -Get back to me

So what you\'re saying is you had a typical ellis-d show. ;)

Fuck off ;)
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
facts....
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2006, 11:06:49 pm »
Folks...when you don\'t know or understand stuff....try not to state said stuff as fact.

As to the songs...the band owns the rights to every song they ever wrote.  Myself, Josh Kroop, and Ales D. have always insisted on this, and unless someone is paying the band a six figure advance, that will continue to be the case.  Sonance and HMG do own the rights to those particular recorded versions that are on the respective CDs, but do not own the songs themselves, only those particular recordings.  Sonance does have what is called a rerecording clause which might still be in effect for a few songs, but not much longer.  We would have to pay a small royalty on a song like Fly Like and Eagle.  If the song was killer we would, if not probably not.

As to Paul....he can basically record whatever he wants for his own pleasure, as can any of you.  Thay does not mean he can sell it without permission from the band, or that the band could sell Paul\'s work without permission from him.  This, by the way does not make Paul an asshole.

You of course might WANT to think of Paul as an asshole, without permission from anyone.  But we kinda like him.

We are talking a lot about video in conjunction with the new CD.  We might try to work something out with Paul on this and pay him a royalty, but that is up to Paul, the band and myself to negotiate.  We really don\'t have enough money floating around as yet to do some of these things, but we are getting there.

In the meantime I would consider it a personal favor if you would respect Paul\'s rights the way we try to respect all of of yours.  Remember, no one is stopping any of you from taping or videoing a show.  If you do take advantage of that opportunity then you know how much work it can be.  You might find yourself in agreement with Paul if you walked a bit in his shos.

In short....peace people.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2006, 11:35:19 pm »
vic,its late and your old.
go to bed!!
lol