Author Topic: American Gladiators  (Read 1334 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
American Gladiators
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:40:36 am »
NBC, MGM AND REVEILLE ENTER ARENA WITH UPDATED PRIMETIME SERIES VERSION OF POPULAR \'AMERICAN GLADIATORS\' HIT FOR A NEW GENERATION

BURBANK - August 23, 2007 -- NBC is reinventing the classic physical competition series "American Gladiators" with a big-arena attitude as a mid-season primetime series from MGM Television and Reveille, it was announced today by Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment.

"This memorable series was once a worldwide phenomenon, and given its built-in appeal, we feel it\'s time to re-introduce it to a new generation and take it to a heightened level of excitement for fans of all ages," said Plestis. "The \'gladiator\' brand is unlike anything on television today, and is event programming at its biggest and best."

"\'American Gladiators\' is a successful MGM franchise that is ready for a whole new generation of TV viewers," said Jim Packer, co-president, MGM Worldwide Television. "The timing to bring the franchise back is perfect and NBC is the ideal home. We are also excited about partnering with Reveille, which marks the first time we have teamed together on a co-production."

MGM Television will handle international sales of the series and will assist Reveille in setting up locally produced versions outside of the US. "American Gladiators has long been viewed as a path-breaking concept. In taking this franchise around the world, we are sure to reach new levels of excitement and viewer interest," said Gary Marenzi, co-president, MGM Worldwide Television.

"The opportunity to work with MGM and NBC to reinvent one of the first great reality formats - especially one that fits in with our brand of fun, family, event programming - is a dream come true," added "American Gladiators" executive producer and Reveille Managing Director Mark Koops. "We are so psyched we are ready to take on the gladiators ourselves!"

The iconic event/competition show returns with a fresh modern reinvention for the 21st century. Using splashy twists including special effects, water skills and the latest technology, the classic games will be upgraded with even higher thrills, impact, energy and spectacle.

Celebrating the everyday, true American heroes -- weekend warriors who excel and take pride in their physical fitness -- contestants will go up against the show\'s gladiators -- charismatic and eclectic warriors -- in the ultimate David & Goliath battle. As in MGM\'s traditional "American Gladiators" franchise, everyday amateur athletes compete against action stars and stunt professionals in contests of physical strength and endurance. The series will include such classic events as The Joust, The Wall, Hang Tough and the Eliminator.

The eight new gladiators (four men and four women) are action-adventure stars ready to take down the everyday challengers with hard knocks and explosive attitudes. Contestants, both male and female, will also be extremely fit but as an added bonus, will also have the chance to train for the match, displaying their physicality, coordination and cunning to viewers in advance of the competition. Each challenger will also have a unique story to tell -- and a compelling reason why they need to win. These unsung heroes combine brawn and heart in their effort to be worthy competitors, which the audience can cheer for against the villainous gladiators.

Produced by MGM Television and Reveille (NBC\'s "The Office" and "The Biggest Loser," "Nashville Star," "Ugly Betty"), "American Gladiators" is currently casting for contestants.

Reveille\'s Mark Koops and Howard Owens are executive producers. David Hurwitz ("Fear Factor") will also serve as an executive producer alongside the series creator Johnny Ferraro.

"American Gladiators" originated as a weekly syndicated show in the U.S., airing from 1989 through 1996. The show also spurred equally successful international versions in the United Kingdom, Latin America, Australia, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, South Africa and Japan.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?date=08/23/07&id=20070823nbc01

awesome news! i used to love this show.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
American Gladiators
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:03:22 am »
I hope they\'re still using Nerf weapons.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
American Gladiators
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:11:39 am »
Always enjoyed this show as a kid growing up. Will be interesting to see how this show works out.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
American Gladiators
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:03:03 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;156416

awesome news! i used to love this show.

:that:
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
American Gladiators
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 02:27:11 pm »
So where\'s the link where a cocky idiot like myself can sign up?
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
American Gladiators
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 02:55:02 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;156427

We\'ll have to setup a poll for you: "what should Wildcoyote\'s Gladiator name be?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
American Gladiators
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:38:26 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;156430
Quote from: wildcoyote;156427

We\'ll have to setup a poll for you: "what should Wildcoyote\'s Gladiator name be?

wildcoyote
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
American Gladiators
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59:09 pm »
Here\'s the link for the application:
http://www.nbc.com/Casting/#gladiators
Definately filling this out.

Not to dissappoint but I don\'t think contestants get a cool nickname. Here is list of all Gladiators past:

Malibu
Lace
Gemini
Zap
Nitro
Sunny
Blaze
Bronco
Gold
Laser
Jade
Titan
Diamond
Ice
Thunder
Turbo  
Storm
Tower
Viper
Atlas
Cyclone
Elektra
Lace #2
Havoc
Sabre
Siren
Sky
Dallas
Hawk
Jazz
Rebel
Tank
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
American Gladiators
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:32:25 am »
We show the old show on espn classic. Check the web site for times. I know it\'s on saturday mornings, maybe weeknights as well.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
American Gladiators
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:34 pm »
just think, bri - you could be the next Malibu:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VGDwScgb_Y0">http://www.youtube.com/v/VGDwScgb_Y0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
American Gladiators
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 11:29:26 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;156450
Here\'s the link for the application:
http://www.nbc.com/Casting/#gladiators
Definately filling this out.

Not to dissappoint but I don\'t think contestants get a cool nickname. Here is list of all Gladiators past:

Malibu
Lace
Gemini
Zap
Nitro
Sunny
Blaze
Bronco
Gold
Laser
Jade
Titan
Diamond
Ice
Thunder
Turbo  
Storm
Tower
Viper
Atlas
Cyclone
Elektra
Lace #2
Havoc
Sabre
Siren
Sky
Dallas
Hawk
Jazz
Rebel
Tank

What are you talking about? Those names are killer.

Hawk is my bowling name. :P
Masturbation in the MFA

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Hulk Hogan To Host American Gladiators
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:53:06 pm »
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=63387ab5-3ddb-4283-86db-ceb18e0185c4&sid=fd-news

This should and interesting role for Hulk.  It\'s at least a better to spend a half hour than the Geico Cavemen.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

• http://
American Gladiator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:03 am »
I hate to admit to watching this, but, well, whatever.

Does anyone else share this gulty pleasure?

Also, which do you think is a more difficult course:
American Gladiator\'s Eliminator
or the course for Ninja Warrior?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
American Gladiators
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:15:19 am »
i watched last season but haven\'t seen any of the new ones. thats the problem with this type of thing. they take a whole season off just when you get interested and when they come back you could careless. or maybe it just finally starting to get nice out and i don\'t watch much tv
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
American Gladiators
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:55 am »
I watched last season and so far this season.  I actually liked the original eliminator better, but I do like the new events.  If I have a gripe, it\'s that the contestant champions turned gladiator just don\'t fit the gladiator image.  But overall, I enjoy it and I\'ll enjoy it more now that I don\'t have to switch over at 9:00 because House is on.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen